When your computer is getting full, BleachBit quickly frees disk space. When your information is only your business, BleachBit guards your privacy. With BleachBit you can free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there.
Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean thousands of applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source.
BleachBit has many useful features:
- Delete your private files so completely that "even God can't read them" according to South Carolina Representative Trey Gowdy.
- Simple operation: read the descriptions, check the boxes you want, click preview, and click delete.
- Multi-platform: Linux and Windows
- Free of charge and no money trail
- Free to share, learn, and modify (open source)
- No adware, spyware, malware, browser toolbars, or "value-added software"
- Translated to 64 languages besides American English
- Shred files to hide their contents and prevent data recovery
- Shred any file (such as a spreadsheet on your desktop)
- Overwrite free disk space to hide previously deleted files
- Portable app for Windows: run without installation
- Command line interface for scripting and automation
- CleanerML allows anyone to write a new cleaner using XML
- Automatically import and update winapp2.ini cleaner files (a separate download) giving Windows users access to 2500+ additional cleaners
- Frequent software updates with new features
Going beyond standard deletion of files, BleachBit has several advanced cleaners:
- Clear the memory and swap on Linux
- Delete broken shortcuts on Linux
- Delete the Firefox URL history without deleting the whole file—with optional shredding
- Delete Linux localizations: delete languages you don't use. More powerful than localepurge and available on more Linux distributions.
- Clean APT for Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Linux Mint
- Find widely-scattered junk such as Thumbs.db and .DS_Store files.
- Execute yum clean for CentOS, Fedora, and Red Hat to remove cached package data
- Delete Windows registry keys—often where MRU (most recently used) lists are stored
- Delete the OpenOffice.org recent documents list without deleting the whole Common.xcu file
- Overwrite free disk space to hide previously files
- Vacuum Firefox, Google Chrome, Liferea, Thunderbird, and Yum databases: shrink files without removing data to save space and improve speed
- Surgically remove private information from .ini and JSON configuration files and SQLite3 databases without deleting the whole file
- Overwrite data in SQLite3 before deleting it to prevent recovery (optional)
BleachBit 3.2.0 changelog:
- Add labels to the toolbar icons (suggested by Rogério Brito).
- Refactor Miro cleaner to use multi-value variables (thanks to Tobias-B-Besemer).
- Move VIM deep scan option to the deep scan cleaner, so the VIM cleaner can automatically hide on systems where it is not needed.
- Fix the error message Fix OperationalError: no such column: lower_term when cleaning Google Chrome and related browsers (reported first by sibernetik).
- Fix: Do not delete ~/.htpasswd (reported by ZerooCool).
- Fix: the clipboard was not cleared (reported by SenpaiSharp).
- Fix: delete Google Chrome Favicons, even when the History file is missing (reported by sibernetik).
Specific to Linux
- Show a three-part version number 3.2.0 instead of a two-part version number like 3.2.
- Clean the DNF package manager (thanks to klslz).
- Improve application launcher and AppStream information (thanks to terrycloth).
- Fix: work without X session and without GTK package (reported by graysky2).
- Fix: RPM packages did not build for Fedora 30 and 31.
- Fix: add missing dependencies to RPM package (thanks to toluschr).
- Fix: remove unresolved RPM dependency to python2-gobject-devel.
- Fix: do not require the python-scandir package on Ubuntu 16.04 because it was not available until Ubuntu 18.04 (reported by ediowar).
Specific to Windows
- Show a four-part version number like 188.8.131.529 instead of a two-part version number like 3.0 (suggested by Tobias-B-Besemer).
- Show a better executable description, as seen in Windows Task Manager (suggested by Tobias-B-Besemer).
- Add icon to context menu (thanks to Tobias-B-Besemer).
- Improve the installer: add logo, add ability to uninstall components (thanks to Tobias-B-Besemer).
- Add warning to shellbags option that it will reset the position of desktop icons (reported by David N.).
- Fix the error "there is no disk in the drive" (first reported by Mark).
- Fix: the maximize button moved the application window off the screen (thanks to Max Khon).
- Fix: when cleaning Internet Explorer, do not delete volume mixer settings (reported by tonedev).
- Fix: do not follow junctions in Recycle Bin (reported by SenpaiSharp, fixed by Max Khon).
- Fix the ability to close the application after cleaning memory (reported by ediowar, fixed by Max Khon).
- Maintainers of Linux packages: please note improved launcher, improved AppStream, and multiple fixes to dependencies.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware