HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded video transcoder, available for MacOS X, Linux and Windows. Handbrake can process most common multimedia files and any DVD or BluRay sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.
Here is a detailed breakdown of HandBrake’s features:
- Built-in Device Presets—Get started with HandBrake in seconds by choosing a profile optimized for your device, or choose a universal profile for standard or high quality conversions. Simple, easy, fast. For those that want more choice, tweak many basic and advanced options to improve your encodes.
- Supported Input Sources—Handbrake can process most common multimedia files and any DVD or Blu-ray sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.
- File Containers: .MP4(.M4V) and .MKV
- Video Encoders: H.265 (x265 and QuickSync), H.264(x264 and QuickSync), H.265 MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, VP8 and Theora
- Audio Encoders: AAC / HE-AAC, MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis
- Audio Pass-thru: AC-3, E-AC3, DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD, AAC and MP3 tracks
- Title/ Chapter Selection
- Queue up Multiple Encodes
- Chapter Markers
- Subtitles (VobSub, Closed Captions CEA-608, SSA, SRT)
- Constant Quality or Average BitRate Video Encoding
- Support for VFR, CFR and VFR
- Video Filters—Deinterlacing, Decomb, Detelecine, Deblock, Grayscale, Cropping and Scaling
- Live Video Preview
HandBrake v1.4.0 is a significant feature release that focuses on:
- Further refining the HandBrake engine to support native 10 and 12-bit encodes, including HDR10 metadata passthru.
- Improvements to hardware encoding functionality for Intel QuickSync, AMD VCN and Qualcomm ARM devices. (Thanks to these companies all for supporting the development in HandBrake!)
- Adds support for Apple Silicon based macs.
- Adds support for Qualcomm ARM64 devices running Windows (HandBrakeCLI only for now. Windows UI is coming later!)
- Improvements to subtitle handling.
- UI/UX improvements for all 3 platforms.
- As usual, hundreds of other changes and tweaks to the app. See the full release notes below for details!
Before updating, please make sure there are no pending encodes in the Queue. Please also make note of any custom presets you have created, as they may not be compatible with newer versions.
For a full list of improvements and fixes, please see the release notes on GitHub.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware