Kdenlive is an acronym for KDE Non-Linear Video Editor. It works on GNU/Linux, Windows and BSD. Through the MLT framework, Kdenlive integrates many plugin effects for video and sound processing or creation. Furthermore Kdenlive brings a powerful titling tool, a DVD authoring (menus) solution, and can then be used as a complete studio for video creation.
Kdenlive supports all of the formats supported by FFmpeg or libav (such as QuickTime, AVI, WMV, MPEG, and Flash Video, among others), and also supports 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios for both PAL, NTSC and various HD standards, including HDV and AVCHD. Video can also be exported to DV devices, or written to a DVD with chapters and a simple menu.
Video editing features:
- Multi-track editing with a timeline and supports an unlimited number of video and audio tracks.
- A built-in title editor and tools to create, move, crop and delete video clips, audio clips, text clips and image clips.
- Ability to add custom effects and transitions.
- A wide range of effects and transitions. Audio signal processing capabilities include normalization, phase and pitch shifting, limiting, volume adjustment, reverb and equalization filters as well as others. Visual effects include options for masking, blue-screen, distortions, rotations, colour tools, blurring, obscuring and others.
- Configurable keyboard shortcuts and interface layouts.
- Rendering is done using a separate non-blocking process so it can be stopped, paused and restarted.
- Kdenlive also provides a script called the Kdenlive Builder Wizard (KBW) that compiles the latest developer version of the software and its main dependencies from source, to allow users to try to test new features and report problems on the bug tracker.
- Project files are stored in XML format.
- An archiving feature allows exporting a project among all assets into a single folder or compressed archive.
- Built-in audio mixer
Kdenlive 23.04.1 release notes:
Kdenlive 23.04.1 has just been released, and all users of the 23.04.0 version are strongly encouraged to upgrade.
The 23.04.0 release of Kdenlive introduced major changes with the support of nested timeline. However, several issues leading to crashes and project corruption went unnoticed and affected this release.
This should now be fixed in Kdenlive 23.04.1. While we have some automated testing, and continue improving it, it is difficult to test all configurations and cases on such a large codebase with our small team.
Version 23.04.1 also fixes many other bugs, see the full log below:
- Don’t store duplicates for modified timeline uuid.
- Fix recent regression (sequence clip duration not updated).
- Clear undo history on sequence close as undoing a sequence close leads to crashes.
- Correctly remember sequence properties (like guides) after closing sequence.
- Fix various sequence issues (incorrect length limit on load, possible corruption on close/reopen).
- Do our best to recover 23.04.0 corrupted project files.
- Try to fix AppImage launching external app.
- Get rid of the space eating info message in Motion Tracker.
- Fix Defish range for recently introduced parameters.
- Fix rotation on proxy formats that don’t support the rotate flag.
- Fix animated color parameter alpha broken.
- Fix 23.04.0 corrupted files on opening.
- Fix another major source of project corruption.
- Don’t attempt to move external proxy clips.
- Fix crash on unconfigured speech engine.
- Fix VOSK model hidden from auto subtitle dialog.
- Fix vaapi timeline preview profile.
- Fix effects with filter task (motion tracker, normalize), re-add a non animated color property.
- Switch test videos to mpg for CI.
- Fix project corruption on opening, add test to prevent from happening again.
- Fix concurrency crash in thumbnails.
- Color wheel: highlight active slider, fix mouse wheel conflicts.
- More fixes for luma lift gain color wheel (fix dragging outside wheel) and improved cursor feedback. Commit.
- Various fixes for luma lift gain color wheel and slider.
- Ensure Shape alpha resource are included in archived project.
- Check missing filter assets on document open (LUT and Shape).
- Fix various bugs and crashes on sequence close and undo create sequence from selection.
- Fix temporary data check showing confusing widget.
- Fix render profiles with no arguments (like GIF Hq).
- Fix images embeded in titles incorrect path on extract.
- Wait before all data is copied before re-opening project when using project folder for cache data.
- Minor ui improvement for clip monitor jobs overlay.
- Try to fix tests.
- Don’t show unnecessary warning.
- Ensure the mute_on_pause property is removed from older project files.
- Fix clip properties default rotation and aspect ratio detection, display the tracks count for sequence clips.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware