Windows Live Wave 4 Milestone 2... Some screenshots and info

The Windows Live Team is currently working on Wave 4, that is, the 2010 versions of Windows Live. This includes both web services and Windows Live Essentials. Let?s take a closer look at Windows Live Messenger 2010 Milestone 2. We can expect the final result to look somewhat different, but what we?re going to look at gives you an idea what the focus is on in the 2010 version.

All info and screenshots ony in my page: http://spain08.deviantart.com/ :D :D Microsoft Gold Certified

wlmwave42watermark.png

wlmwave4watermark2.png

Main window

First of all, we notice that the window is now wider and separated into two columns. The left column contains social news and activity streams, including the What?s New Feed, while the right-hand section includes your Windows Live Messenger contact list and an advertisement area. This window split can be reverted using the button on the top right edge.

Several details are interesting:

Social streams

There are several streams shown, including the What?s New Feed. It is split into a ?highlights? section and a timeline, ?recent.? The menu design of these streams resembles Microsoft Zune-style.

More networks addable

Looking at the bottom right corner, we see: ?Connected to: Windows Live | Add.? Whether you can add more IM networks there or whether you can use it to connect to social networks like Facebook or Twitter, remains to be seen.

Contact list revamped

We still see the same square status indicators and the same wavy default scene, but there are overall less icons and more text indicators. Take a quick look at the menu bar above the contacts?we see the category filters and an Add menu.

Bigger advertisement area

Instead of the flat ad area in Messenger 2009, we have a huge ad there in the format 300?250 pixels. I wonder whether that generates more revenue, or what the decision was about.

Tabbed chats

We waited for it for ages, now we get it: Chat windows are tabbed. No more 7 independent windows to handle with, but one with 7 tabs. Other chat clients had this function for long, and for years it was Messenger Plus! Live that added tabs to Messenger. In fact, the tabs design reminds me of Internet Explorer.

wlmwave4m2watermark3.png

Summary

Several expected elements are missing in these previews. For example, Live Mesh is expected to integrate into Windows Live SkyDrive, and along with Office Web Apps, file and document sharing should be a visible part of Messenger as well.

Windows Live Messenger is going through the same metamorphosis that Internet Explorer has gone through. With IE, this phase had started some years ago when the IE team got up and started development of Internet Explorer 7. Suddenly all interesting features that other browsers had, became part of IE as well. With Messenger it is the same: It all started with Windows Live Wave 3, and Wave 4 continues this. Strange, isn?t it?

All info and screenshots ony in my page: http://spain08.deviantart.com/ :D :D Microsoft Gold Certified

Edited by spain08

Collapse time baby! I will NEVER have all that on screen. I am all for ads, and revenue for the company as I get Live Messenger for free. I think it's only right I should see ads. But all that extra crap? No way. I hide tabs, hide favorites, groups etc ... I will not be viewing any of that stuff. lol

I would expect you can probably collapse that new left hand column

That would be better. It would be nice if you could only display certain things(boxes) of some sort. Though it didn't look like it from the screen shot.

I really wonder if that social stream on the left will even be optional. Microsoft are on a social course with Windows Live so it wouldn't surprise me to see it pushed hard like this.

The one thing I do like is copying the Zune UI design, very clean and clear.

To be honest that looks horrible, but then again I always thought Windows Live did without A-patch.

Can we get a screenshot of the tabbed chats?

Damn what ever happened to the days where IM clients were minimalistic and let you get right to the point, which is to chat. Enough of this flashy "in your face" crap lol.

whish they merged the log in (profile pick) and the contact window into one (shown on windows 7)

wlmwave4watermark2.png

^ that bit

I wish they would just merge those 2 windows.. It is very annoying having two.. and one of them is very useless.

Damn what ever happened to the days where IM clients were minimalistic and let you get right to the point, which is to chat. Enough of this flashy "in your face" crap lol.

Google Talk :D

If I hear him say 'Microsoft Gold Certified' or 'Microsoft Professional Certified' one more time, I'll scream. :|

He wont be for long if anymore of these screenshots leak, unless that's something he made up.

Yea I think I noticed he wants us all to know he's an MCP......wait....isn't he an MCP?! Oh yea, he's an MCP! It says it there, there, and there.....and there........and there.................

Idiot