Windows 8 HAS NO START MENU

Ok first off I'm sorry if I come off as a sob but really people need to watch the video's.

Computex 2011 in Taiwan. The presenter is Mike Angiulo, Microsoft corporate vice president.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8klHxUoFds&feature=related

Watch this Video and take note at the following Times Frames

15:33-17:00+

Notes :

"I can go back to the desktop with the windows key." he refers the Start Screen as the desktop?

notice he press on the windows Logo key (keyboard button used for the start menu) and it takes him to the start screen

12:00-14:00

Notes : Notice how he click the Windows Orb a FEW TIMES and it takes him to the start Screen?

"Wanting this is like wanting the start menu. Its NOT A DIFFERENT MODE"

Through the entire Video he show multiple times that when u click(touch) the start menu (windows orb) it goes to the Start Screen!

--------------

did any one see this video?

WATCH THE WHOLE VIDEO TO SEE HOW THIS WILL WORK ON TOUCH-LESS SYSTEM!!!

PS unless there a backwards (classic) way of doing stuff. There will be no start menu. Very Good chance of not having *classic Theme ether*

-----------------------------------------------------

for the people that do not understand this new windows concept let me lay it down

THE START SCREEN IS NOT THE SAME AS THE DESKTOP

THE DESKTOP IS NOT THE SAME AS THE START SCREEN

Metro = Start Screen

Aero = Desktop

Metro To Aero Via Desktop Tile

Aero to Metro Via Windows Orb or Windows logo key

Another way to look at it, From a System startup(boot)

Windows Booting screen >

Windows Login Screen >>

Start Screen = Metro >>>

Click or touch Desktop Tile = Desktop (Aero) >>>>

Click or touch Windows Orb (on the desktop) = Start Screen (metro) <<<

and all device will have BOTH (tablet or not)

Did you follow that?

HOLYFREAKINGMOLY!!!!!!!1111elf

But seriously... I love where they are going. As long as Windows 8 is not just some kind of overlay above "classic Windows" like you could have seen in that first video where they opened Excel and it was Windows 7 all over again. That doesn't work. Imagine your mom being happy about that (not) shiny new Windows and then accidentally pushing something and boom, everything is as touch unfriendly and... ugly again.

But no, if they go through with that... it could be awesome. Just like WP7 is awesome. That on a tablet? Count me in!

FAKE!

spam ^^ and its not fake I saw this when it stream lived over the net.. I gizzed in my pants over the fact the start menu been removed.. I for one can;t wait to see how well I can accel using windows without a start menu

HOLYFREAKINGMOLY!!!!!!!1111elf

But seriously... I love where they are going. As long as Windows 8 is not just some kind of overlay above "classic Windows" like you could have seen in that first video where they opened Excel and it was Windows 7 all over again.

That is the desktop. Its not a overlay ether.. The actually Desktop Work Space is the same as Windows 7 Desktop Minus The start menu and the ability to snap the start screen beside the desktop

Look at it this way. The start Screen is a Big Start menu that take up the entire screen.

spam ^^ and its not fake I saw this when it stream lived over the net.. I gizzed in my pants over the fact the start menu been removed.. I for one can;t wait to see how well I can accel using windows without a start menu

How often do you use the start menu ?

Don't you have some kind of dock installed ?

How often do you use the start menu ?

Don't you have some kind of dock installed ?

I only use the start menu for the search bar. Ever thing else that I use all the time is pinned to the taskbar including "Windows Explore" button that brings up *computer* I don't have it pointed to open Liberies like it is on default install.

No I do not use Docks nor sidebars and gadgets

I could record a video on how to full manage and run windows 7 with out using the start menu and just be as quick if not quicker in doing task. (with out even using desktop icons, Docks, Gadgets & sidebars) only thing I may use time to time is the search bar in the start menu since there no tool bar I can add to the taskbar.

Guys, I'm sure the good old start panel from Windows 7 is still there. My guess it that it's just an option to have the start button launch the new interface. As some have already said, that new interface is more aimed towards touch devices. I'm sure Microsoft won't be forcing that new interface on desktop users.

Microsoft really needs to give some clarity about all this. Some people are even thinking that the new interface is the ONLY interface and that Aero all together will be gone. To my understanding there are going to be 2 interfaces; 1 aimed towards desktop (like the UI we see in Windows 7 with several enhancements) and a interface aimed towards touch (The new Metro interface).

Aero is not being replaced or discarded it only going to be used at the desktop lvl, like it is now. The Desktop is still going to be handled by Windows Desktop Management (WDM.exe) with Aero. Remember Aero is Only a Theme working on top of WDM. Which is why we can patch theme.dll and add are own WDM theme that have all the bells and whistles like Aero has on Vista/Win7

Metro Ui is more like a system GUI layer then just a Theme Layer which is why it can be snapped next to the desktop and not just a layer above/below it.

No its not!

Um it is, thats the Windows 8 Tablet UI. Look at 15:52 in the video when hes switching between UIs there is a regular windows desktop with the start orb in the bottom left and then switches to the tablet UI.

Yeah, that's not the only interface. There's also the standard Windows 7 interface. Microsoft's priority has always been enterprise and while there has been a move towards the consumer in recent years they aren't going to abandon their business customers like that.

Um it is, thats the Windows 8 Tablet UI. Look at 15:52 in the video when hes switching between UIs there is a regular windows desktop with the start orb in the bottom left and then switches to the tablet UI.

oh your learning. All device can do this.. That's the DESKTOP. Start Screen is not A DESKTOP, Not even for tablets. When windows Loads it will show the login screen, Then Start Screen, From there you can click on the *Desktop Tile* to get to the Desktop. when you click on the Windows Orb it brings you back to the start screen.. Pressing the windows logo key on the keyboard will bring u back to the start screen as well.

this is default across all devices.

This is true and false.

Microsoft plans to replace the Start Menu with the Start Screen but for resolutions under 1024 x 768 it will default back to the Start Menu. There will also be an option to bring the Start Menu back if it's required.

Whats this then in that very video.

The Windows 7 superbar with the start button?

Ever considered it might be contextual? Or you might be able to change the behaviour of the windows key?

Win8.jpg

This is true and false.

Microsoft plans to replace the Start Menu with the Start Screen but for resolutions under 1024 x 768 it will default back to the Start Menu. There will also be an option to bring the Start Menu back if it's required.

Oh dear, i wont be upgrading to Windows 8 then. If i wanted a phone/tablet UI id use a phone/tablet.

Whats this then in that very video.

The Windows 7 superbar with the start button?

Oh Noise Please read

oh your learning. All device can do this.. That's the DESKTOP. Start Screen is not A DESKTOP, Not even for tablets. When windows Loads it will show the login screen, Then Start Screen, From there you can click on the *Desktop Tile* to get to the Desktop. when you click on the Windows Orb it brings you back to the start screen.. Pressing the windows logo key on the keyboard will bring u back to the start screen as well.

this is default across all devices.

Guess what happens when he clicks on the Start Button. It brings him back to the start screen. Did you watch the video at all?

oh on low res display as far as I know. What he said in the video, is that you will not be able to snap the start screen to the desktop nor have multi apps beside each other.. how ever the start screen is the default. Check video near the end when he shows it running on low Res systems. (none wide screens)

Oh dear, i wont be upgrading to Windows 8 then. If i wanted a phone/tablet UI id use a phone/tablet.

Except Metro is not a tablet/phone UI at all. It works just as well with a mouse and keyboard.

Except Metro is not a tablet/phone UI at all. It works just as well with a mouse and keyboard.

It IS a phone/tablet ui the big squares are perfect for finger navigation. Hopefully they will offer an Enterprise version of Windows 8 without the stupid Metro Start Screen i dont see businesses wanting to retrain staff how to use it.