Windows 8 HAS NO START MENU

Oh dear, i wont be upgrading to Windows 8 then. If i wanted a phone/tablet UI id use a phone/tablet.

You can turn it off. Its not very business friendly, and I'm sure there will be a version with it turned off by default.

actually metro wasn't strictly designed for a phone only ether. Believe it or not but metro first showed some of it first UI and backbone Components on the MS Surface Table. its not just about Tile and click them to start app. Its also about how it display information in real time as well as how you can work it with the information.

Exactly, its a touch orientated UI, why they are bringing this as default for Windows pcs that primarily have mouse and keyboard controls ill never know, not many desktop computers have actual touchscreen monitors.

Gnome 2 is out dated and KDE is Fuggly.

I actually like Gnome 3 and wish I could use it as a default desktop for windows at this current moment until win8 comes out

One thing that i like in Gnome 3 that it finally looks good - default theme looks more proffesional than v2.

And:

It makes no sense to have this argument before BUILD in September, which is when the juicy bits of information about Windows 8 will be shared with the public.

Why? We already have some kind of "bones" of their new OS; i dont think that they will drop instantly idea of Start Screen when Beta or RC will come out. IMO the point is (still): will they separate Start Screen for touch devices or it will be default launcher instead of Start Menu.

From what i have seen from other microsoft employees. For desktops and regular laptops there is the option off the regular start menu and taskbar. For things like tablets you only get that start screen.

So dont get all upset yet.

Also for all we know you might have to get the professional version for the start menu and task bar. I cant see businesses running the start screen. (i will not install windows 8 at work if it does not have the start screen and taskbar.)

Exactly, its a touch orientated UI, why they are bringing this as default for Windows pcs that primarily have mouse and keyboard controls ill never know, not many desktop computers have actual touchscreen monitors.

There a few reason why

A) it keeps development cost down as well as fragmentation between devs.

B) there looking at the bigger picture that maybe we will all have touch screen or device and will never have to use a keyboard or mouse (long stretch think 10/20 years from now) and they want to make sure they have a UI/System that will be fully ready by then?

C) Patching the system will be a lot easier since all device will be on the same system. This keep Devs cost down as well.

D) its about working on 1 device and then moving to another device with out interrupted work Flow. ie I'm working on my desktop and I leave the office and grab my tablet and be able to continue right were I left off.

There a few reason why

A) it keeps development cost down as well as fragmentation between devs.

B) there looking at the bigger picture that maybe we will all have touch screen or device and will never have to use a keyboard or mouse (long stretch think 10/20 years from now) and they want to make sure they have a UI/System that will be fully ready by then?

C) Patching the system will be a lot easier since all device will be on the same system. This keep Devs cost down as well.

D) its about working on 1 device and then moving to another device with out interrupted work Flow. ie I'm working on my desktop and I leave the office and grab my tablet and be able to continue right were I left off.

Well most Windows tablets are going to be (at least initially) ARM based devices so having the same platform on multiple devices is moot, i agree looking at the bigger picture but why not wait 10-20 years till its relevant, dont force people to use a primarily touch based OS on a regular desktop computer.

well, if this is how W8 really is.. thanks but no thanks, I will stick to 7 with the Start Menu and less slidy stuff. I use the start menu 100%, even in 7 it's the most clicked thing for me.

actually metro wasn't strictly designed for a phone only ether. Believe it or not but metro first showed some of it first UI and backbone Components on the MS Surface Table. its not just about Tile and click them to start app. Its also about how it display information in real time as well as how you can work it with the information.

Didn't Metro show up first in Windows Media Center?

Why would you do that?

The SuperBar is is like "Quick Launch". It looks like and functions like a dock but no additional software needs to be installed. How many of you are so ****ing dumb...

Sigh.

There will be the "Classic Start Menu" and this new touch friendly version.

Sigh, you people and not liking change or any choice. Bunch of whining asses.

Go to OSX where a platform never changes, just becomes a POS mobile OS instead and loses anything that was worthwhile.

Well most Windows tablets are going to be (at least initially) ARM based devices so having the same platform on multiple devices is moot, i agree looking at the bigger picture but why not wait 10-20 years till its relevant, dont force people to use a primarily touch based OS on a regular desktop computer.

Just remember PC never caught on right away ether but with time and constant software revision and re-design. Here we are today.

Also before windows 95 there was no Start menu, and all of a sudden bang windows 95 came out and well all had to live with it.

Many PC at the time didn't even have a mouse and still were using keyboard to Dos Command around. Even windows 1-3 was extremely easy to use with out a mouse and even though it was designed for *mouse interface* people still got used to it. And before ya know it, The idea went mainstream.

I want...especially now that I'm looking into building a new computer.

EDIT: I just hope this isn't for touch screens ONLY. I would gladly use this with my mouse/keyboard. Would be great to just hit the Windows key to bring up that menu, especially if it is customizable, which it looks like it is :D

Didn't Metro show up first in Windows Media Center?

UI concept maybe but media Center never had Live Data.

another note. With Touch Screen Monitors coming out you won't have to replace your entire system to get touch. Also this will work with MS Kinect

Just remember PC never caught on right away ether but with time and constant software revision and re-design. Here we are today.

Also before windows 95 there was no Start menu, and all of a sudden bang windows 95 came out and well all had to live with it.

Many PC at the time didn't even have a mouse and still were using keyboard to Dos Command around. Even windows 1-3 was extremely easy to use with out a mouse and even though it was designed for *mouse interface* people still got used to it. And before ya know it, The idea went mainstream.

Yeah but that was all about innovation shooting onwards and upwards, this is dumbing back down to simplicity sacrificing the desktop experiece for the iPad generation, i dont want a tablet and i dont want my windows experience hampered for the people that do want a tablet experience.

As for touch screen monitors i dont want finger oils all over my screen hampering my viewing experience, touch for desktop is an idiotic idea.

Of course there is no Start menu in Windows 8; the Start screen is a superior concept.

No its not, i dont want to have to swipe through 10 screens of installed apps with my mouse just to find the app i want.

Desktops arent tablets. If you want a tablet buy a ******* tablet.

Oh dear, i wont be upgrading to Windows 8 then. If i wanted a phone/tablet UI id use a phone/tablet.

:rolleyes: It is not a tablet/phone user interface! This whole user interface was designed for desktops, laptops, and tablets!

Yeah but that was all about innovation shooting onwards and upwards, this is dumbing back down to simplicity sacrificing the desktop experiece for the iPad generation, i dont want a tablet and i dont want my windows experience hampered for the people that do want a tablet experience.

As for touch screen monitors i dont want finger oils all over my screen hampering my viewing experience, touch for desktop is an idiotic idea.

I just saying will fully have no idea how well this will work or catch on until it released. Im sure if this is a major fail that MS will fall back onto Windows 7 and once again work up from there. It mite even take a few concept to reality before something permanent catches on and actually works .

hell windows 8 Mite actually work well and catch on quickly, just like the Super-bar idea did with windows 7 which redesigned the idea of what the task bar is.

This is true and false.

Microsoft plans to replace the Start Menu with the Start Screen but for resolutions under 1024 x 768 it will default back to the Start Menu. There will also be an option to bring the Start Menu back if it's required.

I'm curious as to who told you this? No one at Microsoft has publicly said there will be a way to turn the Start Screen off and that it will default to some horrible Start Menu at resolutions lower than 1024 x 768. I hope this isn't true; there needs to be some consistency, and I don't see how the Start Screen wouldn't work at lower resolutions.

No its not, i dont want to have to swipe through 10 screens of installed apps with my mouse just to find the app i want.

Desktops arent tablets. If you want a tablet buy a ******* tablet.

you don't want to know how long it takes me to Scroll down the Program List just to hit the very bottom

You can get to most programs in 3 clicks, start, all programs, done.

With Start Screen you will have massive tiles i dont want to have to keep clicking and swiping to go through all the pages of massive icons.

And there's no way to SHUT DOWN your computer ! :woot:

lulz I never actually seen a shutdown option yet. crtl-alt-del shutdown?

but they said in the video its suppose to work with something called *All was On*

No joke, I have ~450 or so start menu items, and that's only if I'm clicking which i rarely do anyway. Windows key, a couple letters and off I go, never mind directory/library access, federated searches and all that. I seriously doubt this won't be able to be toggled though. Aside from the obvious "not everybody wants it" sentiment repeated here a lot, there's just too much functionality lost, and then you have people who just can't use it for whatever reasons, handicaps or otherwise.

I'm curious as to who told you this? No one at Microsoft has publicly said there will be a way to turn the Start Screen off and that it will default to some horrible Start Menu at resolutions lower than 1024 x 768.

A very large portion of Windows can be customized or flat-out disabled via GPO's, or at the very least alternative means. It's a pretty reasonable expectation to see it apply to the newer features as well.