Windows 8 HAS NO START MENU

It IS a phone/tablet ui the big squares are perfect for finger navigation.

Fact if its more towards tablet system or system with touch monitors is irreverent. What matter here is its going to be standardized across all devices so no matter what device your working on you will have the same experience and not have to learn something new.

it also keep fragmentation down between Tablets, PC, All in One Touch PCs and you will be able to install windows 8 on any device using the same media (ie Arm, X86, X64 versions will be on all the same disc/iso) Just like Windows Ultimate edition are handled. X86 and x64 but one key that can be activation on ether version but will be tide to the version once activated.

It IS a phone/tablet ui the big squares are perfect for finger navigation. Hopefully they will offer an Enterprise version of Windows 8 without the stupid Metro Start Screen i dont see businesses wanting to retrain staff how to use it.

There's nothing to retrain, see a tile for something, click tile to open app, ohhh so complicated!.

Hell business will love the start screen since, probably through group policy controls, they'll be able to lock their users into the start screen, then pin ONLY the tiles for apps they want you to use at work and nothing else. Total control and security of work PCs, sounds good to me.

Ommmm, have we gone back in time? lol

This video is not new and Neowin did a cover on this, well atleast two months ago..

Yer the normal looking desktop is still there, this is simply best put like what media centre was to windows xp.. its a addon to the system, though its not as basic..

There looking to make all systems look the same in the same way there not changing UI in the Windows mobile phones.. I see it as a good move as many people cant get there heads around change.

For a touch-pad Windows 8 will be fantastic or for anyone with a pc already with a touch screen, for others like myself the old laptops and so on, we are going to spend most of our time in the normal windows desktop view I would guess. They have said in another video you can use the new UI just as easy with a keyboard and mouse but I would not like it, but thats just me.

Oh Noise Please read

oh your learning. All device can do this..

Somewhat irrelevant to the topic at hand, but please, please, please stop before you hit the post button. Re-read your post and try your hardest to correct spelling mistakes. The first sentence of the quote above makes no sense, and the second sentence's use of "your" is highly irritating.

Back to the topic at hand, if Windows 8 has no Start menu then I more than likely won't use it as an operating system. The idea of OS developers trying to gear their products to being a universal OS - suited for tablets, mobiles and desktops - is an idea that just doesn't work for me. Each device has different input methods, and therefore requires different ways of accessing items.

That said, I really doubt that they are getting rid of the Start menu all together.

How often do you use the start menu ?

Don't you have some kind of dock installed ?

here's my desktop. The background is a movie via dreamscene

All I need Minus search bar missing. I personally never use the start menu much. Clean Desktop, Simple to use. No Dock, Gadgets or sidebars

This is why Pinning apps to the taskbar is better then the old way.

I even have links (Favorites Bar) for quick loading of my top used websites and my Favorites bar for all my Booked marked websites

so no I hardly ever use my start menu ever since Pinning become a norm. And in the videos it shows that office and a few other apps are Pinned to the task bar on Desktop. I think windows 8 will work extremely well for me with out a start menu (I hope they add a search tool bar I can pin to the task bar)

I still have so much taskbar space for apps that I don't think I could ever fill it. I use 2 Rows for the task bar solely for the fact it show the entire date & time with no missing info

Capture.bmp

post-387208-0-09369000-1310720545.jpg

Whats this then in that very video.

The Windows 7 superbar with the start button?

Ever considered it might be contextual? Or you might be able to change the behaviour of the windows key?

That's an accurate observation. By default if your Windows 8 PC or tablet is capable of running the Start Screen and Aero interface then the Windows key and start button will default to that interface. If not then it rolls back to the start menu. The Windows start button and key can also be changed back to the Start Menu.

That's an accurate observation. By default if your Windows 8 PC or tablet is capable of running the Start Screen and Aero interface then the Windows key and start button will default to that interface. If not then it rolls back to the start menu. The Windows start button and key can also be changed back to the Start Menu.

I have yet to see that. I know for older pc and lower resolutions you will not be able to "snap start screen to desktop nor Snap 2 apps beside each other) but the start screen will still be there and working.. As for Aero Theme It will revert back to Aero Basic but will not have the start menu

Metro UI or should we say Metro (start Screen) dose not use Aero. Its a system layer on its own.

This is why tablets can use the start screen with out having to really worry about Aero system requirements

think of it as another system layer or another system Process.exe that show up in windows Task manger under Processes (my guess will be located in ether a subset of WDM.exe Or one of many scvhost.exe that load when windows dose.

my other guess is that when you terminate explore.exe it will not take down the start screen ether.

so the start screen will not Be another MODE but will not be linked to explore.exe ether.

I'm also betting the start screen will Fully replace gadgets as well as the start menu. With live tiles that could display system resources and what not on the fly why would you need to fill the desktop full gadgets to do the same thing? Especially when you can Snap the start screen to the side of the desktop

-------------------------------------------------------------

The more I think about it. I more I can see my self Excelling quickly to adapt and fully use windows 8 to its fullest.

I saw how it was used on a laptop and that was the worst experience I've seen. not unless they have touchpads like macs have. if not it will be awkward to use. you have keyboard shortcuts that emulate the touch actions.... ergonomically that isn't very comfy.

same with desktops. so get used to using the keyboard more to emulate the touch actions.

Makes perfect sense :)

The "Start Screen" is for tablets and touch screens, I've said this all along that it wouldn't make sense for traditional desktops to have that interface (Y)

This is why tablets can use the start screen with out having to really worry about Aero system requirements

The Start Screen does have system requirements. If you watch the video carefully then they are shown towards the end and detailed fully about screen resolutions.

Makes perfect sense :)

The "Start Screen" is for tablets and touch screens, I've said this all along that it wouldn't make sense for traditional desktops to have that interface (Y)

No everything will get it and it will replace the Start Menu by default. The thing is you can switch it back if need be.

Aero is not being replaced or discarded it only going to be used at the desktop lvl, like it is now. The Desktop is still going to be handled by Windows Desktop Management (WDM.exe) with Aero. Remember Aero is Only a Theme working on top of WDM. Which is why we can patch theme.dll and add are own WDM theme that have all the bells and whistles like Aero has on Vista/Win7

Metro Ui is more like a system GUI layer then just a Theme Layer which is why it can be snapped next to the desktop and not just a layer above/below it.

That is exactly what I meant with Aero and Metro actually. My point was to explain how the desktop version will still look the way Windows 7 looks with Aero.

This is true and false.

Microsoft plans to replace the Start Menu with the Start Screen but for resolutions under 1024 x 768 it will default back to the Start Menu. There will also be an option to bring the Start Menu back if it's required.

Then my theory was right behind the Start Screen being an option. Really makes me happy that it's going to be a choice as I'd rather use the Start Menu on my desktop PC.

How often do you use the start menu ?

Don't you have some kind of dock installed ?

I use the Start menu for everything, and no I don't have a dock installed. Those require you to be able to see the desktop to use them, and since I run all of my programs full screen the desktop is something I rarely see. Besides I have over 100 programs in my start menu alone (not counting games) so a silly dock would never hold them.

Also I don't think the Start Menu is going away. People are seeing these screens for the phone and tablet versions of Windows 8 and freaking out because they think that is what the desktop version will look like. It's not going to, desktops will still use Aero.

The Start Screen does have system requirements. If you watch the video carefully then they are shown towards the end and detailed fully about screen resolutions.

ya I know he said u need to have at lest minimal widescreen Screen Resolution to be able to *Snap Start Screen To Desktop & snap to apps beside each other* there was nothing said about using the old start menu or having to have Minimal VideoCard / CPU requirements.

My guess the Minimal Windows Requirements will be the same for using the Start Screen. Another guess to requirements is that windows 8 will not install on any thing that dose not have a video card that is WDDM compatible (DX 9.c or above) which ironically Aero needs anyways.

Only the Feature *snap* or *Snapping* will be disabled on lower resolutions displays

I use the Start menu for everything, and no I don't have a dock installed. Those require you to be able to see the desktop to use them, and since I run all of my programs full screen the desktop is something I rarely see. Besides I have over 100 programs in my start menu alone (not counting games) so a silly dock would never hold them.

Also I don't think the Start Menu is going away. People are seeing these screens for the phone and tablet versions of Windows 8 and freaking out because they think that is what the desktop version will look like. It's not going to, desktops will still use Aero.

that video show windows 8 systems with out touch.. Guess what.. same interface.

that video show windows 8 running on desktop and laptop with out touch.. Guess what.. same interface. It blows my mined people like you make comments like this with out seeing the video. AND yes Tablets Will also use aero. Its part of the Desktop, not the START SCREEN. and yes tablets will have a desktop work space just like pc do now.

THE START SCREEN IS NOT THE SAME AS THE DESKTOP

THE DESKTOP IS NOT THE SAME AS THE START SCREEN

Metro = Start Screen

Aero = Desktop

Metro To Aero Via Desktop Tile

Aero to Metro Via Windows Orb or Windows logo key

Another way to look at it, From a System startup(boot)

Windows Booting screen >

Windows Login Screen >>

Start Screen = Metro >>>

Click or touch Desktop Tile = Desktop (Aero) >>>>

Click or touch Windows Orb (on the desktop) = Start Screen (metro) <<<

and all device will have BOTH (tablet or not)

Did you follow that?

The only ones that are freak-en out are the people that can not grasp the concept how Windows 8 is suppose to work no matter what device its installed on.

The system requirements for the Start Screen will be resolution and a shader model 2.0 graphics card like for the AERO UI.

my only concern is......let me see if i can make a mockup.

I want AN OPTION ... to disable SNAP feature... and be able to drag edges to widen up or shorten the APP SIZE to my needs... Its ok if some apps like twitter and stuff SNAP to different SIZE MODES.. SMALL MEDIUM LARGE FULLSCREEN.

but apps like IE10 should be resizable without such snap points to whatever size i want. So i can open and have multiple pages around the screen at one time so i can read around the pages without having to SELECT or TAP OR CLICK to view page. then click back to view 2nd.

The apps should be able to SNAP in HALF .. as they do 1/3rd.

All in all. I think microsoft cannot do this. They have never done this. They have always given possibility for customized sizes or other things. But my only concern is WP7... which is totally blocked in such way. But that is because its a PHONE UI.. i dont want that to be present in a tablet or desktop UI.

So, I havn't used the start menu in years? I press the orb on my keyboard en type what i want to do. I never look at the menu anymore. So I will not miss it

i use the start menu alot...

but for 3 things.

search.

my computer

control panel.

If i can set aside tiles for this and make the START button to open a small search box or something it will be super!

So, I havn't used the start menu in years? I press the orb on my keyboard en type what i want to do. I never look at the menu anymore. So I will not miss it

that's what I do if its not pinned on the taskbar.

also the address tool bar I have pinned on the task bar is not only good for websites and Hdd locations. I can also type stuff like *taskmgr* and it load the task manger. I don't even need the search bar to load app I know the exe for.

At the end he said for low resolution devices there will be the desktop only. So I'm sure there will be the startmenu and there will be also a way do activate it for all resolutions.

i use the start menu alot...

but for 3 things.

search.

my computer

control panel.

If i can set aside tiles for this and make the START button to open a small search box or something it will be super!

If you have windows Explore Pinned to the taskbar you would need the start menu for *computer* or Control Pannel

post-387208-0-56538200-1310725141.jpg

There's nothing to retrain, see a tile for something, click tile to open app, ohhh so complicated!.

I take it you havent worked in an IT Dept for a company then, never underestimate the stupidity of an office worker.

i have it.

but it opens to LIBRARIES :(

can it be made to open My computer?

oh u want the Windows Explore Tweaks eh?

OK do what I say and only what I say

1) Right Click windows Explore (pinned Icon) this will open the Jump list

2) Right Click Windows Explore (3rd from the bottom) and pick Properties

3) In the Short Cut Tab Look for *Target* Copy and past this "%windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}" Without the Quotes

Done!

All u have to do is left click windows explore (pinned Icon) to get to *computer* u do not have to use the jump list to get there.

I can make the Windows Explore (pinned icon) do a lot of things beside just LIBRARIES and *computer*

I could make it open the Control panel as default if I wanted.

Like I said I hardly ever use the start menu anymore.

---------------------------------------

Windows Explorer (default) (opens to Libraries)

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe

Computer

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

OR

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:MyComputerFolder

My Documents

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}

Documents Library

Code:

%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Documents.library-ms

Recycle Bin

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E

Network Neighborhood

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}

Default Web Browser (ex: Internet Explorer)

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}

Computer Search Results Folder

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{1F4DE370-D627-11D1-BA4F-00A0C91EEDBA}

Network Search Results Folder

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{E17D4FC0-5564-11D1-83F2-00A0C90DC849}

Web Folders

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{BDEADF00-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}

Control Panel

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}

Printers and Faxes

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\::{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}

Scanners and Cameras

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\::{E211B736-43FD-11D1-9EFB-0000F8757FCD}

Fonts

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\::{D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-0C5020524152}

Network Connections or My Network Place

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\::{7007ACC7-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}

Administrative Tools

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\::{D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-0C5020524153}

Tasks Scheduler

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe /n,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\::{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

User Profile (personal) Folder

Code:

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:Profile

I take it you havent worked in an IT Dept for a company then, never underestimate the stupidity of an office worker.

a-effing-men.