Windows 8 HAS NO START MENU

Time to ditch Windows imo. Yes, my opinion and choice.

Where are you heading? Apple are doing the same thing to OSX. Gnome3 heads in the same direction? Hope ReactOS or Haiku is finished before all my Win7-PCs break down?

If you have windows Explore Pinned to the taskbar you *wouldn't* need the start menu for *computer* or Control Panel

Ever since Windows95: WIN+E?

Didn't Metro show up first in Windows Media Center?

The logical precursor to Metro showed up in WMC as 10 foot user interface?

Yeah but that was all about innovation shooting onwards and upwards, this is dumbing back down to simplicity sacrificing the desktop experiece for the iPad generation, i dont want a tablet and i dont want my windows experience hampered for the people that do want a tablet experience.

As for touch screen monitors i dont want finger oils all over my screen hampering my viewing experience, touch for desktop is an idiotic idea.

this!

So you're not even going to give it a chance and try it out? What a surprise. I imagine in the next few years (or 5 to 10 years), the immersive experience will be how one accesses and uses all apps, including heavy apps like Visual Studio in PhotoShop; I expect they'll find a way to develop these apps in an immersive manner without hindering user experience or productivity.

I hope the port VS to this mess then the dumbest one will notice that it's a bad idea?

You're not listening to what I'm suggesting. This is exactly what I asked you: If you're able to search to easily find applications in Windows 7, why do you think Microsoft would take away such a useful feature in Windows 8, especially when they've just added a search feature to Windows Phone's Start Screen?

Yeah they just added it! I wouldn't be surprised if they will add it to Win8 with SP1.

Why would Microsoft design a desktop operating system and then release it if that user interface does not work well on a desktop operating system? You assuming they would do that is asinine. Have Microsoft ever released a desktop or phone operating system that is unusable or doesn't work well?

Yes! A short incomplete list:

• Windows 1
  • Windows 2
  • Microsoft Bob
  • Windows ME
  • Windows XP Professional 64bit
  • Windows Home Server 2011
  • Windows Mobile 6
  • Windows Mobile 6.5
  • Microsoft Kin

What makes you think Microsoft would even do that?

Because he seems to understand Microsoft more than you do?

Logic does not dictate that the large tiles were designed for small touchscreen devices; they do work well with those, but they weren't designed specifically for those.

Right, they are just waisting a whole lot of space on the screen?

[*]Windows ME

I loved Windows ME :cry:

anyway I think this is nothing to make such a big deal from

nothing bad happened when the start menu came to replace .. what was in in Windows 3.1.. task manager or something?

I believe this was covered in the windows8 is chromless discussion. No start menu on tablet devices (think ipad here), but you will have a start menu on normal devices (think pc's and laptops). In the video he is using a tablet which confirms no start menu on tablet devices.

perhaps these two threads should merge...

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1012052-windows-8-ui-is-chromeless/page__hl__chromeless

I know most of these are just rumors and I wont completely rule it out until I try it but I would much prefer the classic start menu to that start screen. I don't use search to find my programs I use the start menu 100% and I have no interest in owning any of this touch stuff that everyone seems to be talking about these days especially on a desktop.

Oh my, that looks like a mess right there :rolleyes: . Not everyone has a twitter account or care about social media craps that much. I personally just want a professional desktop to get my work done.

And to anybody who said that this UI is usable with a keyboard and mouse. Go watch the video again, especially the part where he struggled to use the interface on a Samsung S9 and he had to quickly move on to other devices (which all had a TOUCH SCREEN) before people realized that he was lying. The S9 didn't work as well as the one with the touch screen. Also the one with the ARM processors do not have Aero enabled :rolleyes: ... The UI was really consistent across all devices :rolleyes: !!

Not everyone has a twitter account or care about social media craps that much.

That is another thing I don't want in my OS, I don't want any social media stuff integrated with it.

i use the start menu alot...

but for 3 things.

search.

my computer

control panel.

If i can set aside tiles for this and make the START button to open a small search box or something it will be super!

As far as the search option goes, that is already possible from what I can tell. The bar that has the Windows Flag on it and slides out from the right side has a search button I believe.

I loved Windows ME :cry:

I only experienced it as a crashing POS at my cousin's pc - had to be reinstalled on a regular basis, even Win95-OEM and Win98-FE seemed to be more stable?

nothing bad happened when the start menu came to replace .. what was in in Windows 3.1.. task manager or something?

Nothing^^ If I recall it correctly the programs minimized to Icons like in Windows 1?

That is another thing I don't want in my OS, I don't want any social media stuff integrated with it.

Couldn't agree more - deep integration of this stuff has kept me away from WP7?

If they put the Metro UI into Windows 8 as default then im moving to OSX, its doing the same thing trying into integrate IOS into their desktop OS but they are doing it better, i dont want to have to switch from desktop to Fisher Price My First Touch UI with all its pretty rainbow colours just to launch an app.

I wouldn't be to surprised if Apple went full blown iOS for the desktop eventually, they seem to like the one app at a time and app centric model..... Lion is just the first step towards something like that

Nothing^^ If I recall it correctly the programs minimized to Icons like in Windows 1?

start menu replaced program manager, which was basically a window that held MDI child windows of icons called "groups", running apps minimized to what is now called the desktop, or back then called the background....

start menu replaced program manager, which was basically a window that held MDI child windows of icons called "groups", running apps minimized to what is now called the desktop, or back then called the background....

A thanks, long long time ago :)

Off topic: Does anybody know if the new new NXE will finally be native 1080p? I've been waiting for 5 years :angry:

On topic: You'll have the option to disable/enable the start menu.

I can't stand this new radical Windows 8 UI. It will be indeed a big change. At least in my life. I will switch to linux fulltime. Propably Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. They can keep their oversized Windows Phone Desktop... whatever..

Windows 7's start menu is completely redundant for me and anyone who knows how to properly use Windows 7. I NEVER EVER navigate the start menu programs folder. I use the start menu search box to launch everything. It's so much faster and easier. So, it is a nice move on Microsoft's part to remove the start menu from Windows 8's default UI. They can easily put the search box somewhere else.

(Repost from the other thread)

Windows 7's start menu is completely redundant for me and anyone who knows how to properly use Windows 7. I NEVER EVER navigate the start menu programs folder. I use the start menu search box to launch everything. It's so much faster and easier. So, it is a nice move on Microsoft's part to remove the start menu from Windows 8's default UI. They can easily put the search box somewhere else.

(Repost from the other thread)

You went from in one second slamming people for using the start menu to in the next second saying you use the start menu for everything. Did you even catch that?

You went from in one second slamming people for using the start menu to in the next second saying you use the start menu for everything. Did you even catch that?

Thought so too - in both threads?

He goes from slamming people who use the start screen to navigate it for apps. To saying how he uses the search bar in the start menu. And how they can remove the start menu, aslong as they keep the search bar. Somewhere outside of the start menu. Maybe a command to open just the search bar? Ctrl+G or something.

Did you even catch that? :rolleyes:

He goes from slamming people who use the start screen to navigate it for apps. To saying how he uses the search bar in the start menu. And how they can remove the search bar, somewhere outside of the start menu. Maybe a command to open just the search bar. Ctrl+G or something.

Did you even catch that? :rolleyes:

Yes, I did catch that. Did you catch the fact that the search is LOCATED IN THE START MENU? And that we're talking about the start menu, that again, INCLUDES THE SEARCH? :rofl: He slams the start menu as a whole, not specifically the menu which you can use to navigate. And given that this topic is about the entire start menu being gone, including the search, his point is doubly confusing. You two do realize that clicking the start orb will now kick you back out to the Start screen, not simply keep you in the desktop with a search menu... right?

Of course they can add the search somewhere else. They can add a list of applications somewhere else, too, and that's what we're discussing, is it not? But that doesn't make it any less stupid. Why kick me out, take me to a search and/or application menu, that's going to kick me right back into the desktop if it's an application designed for the desktop? It's stupid.

Yes, I did catch that. Did you catch the fact that the search is LOCATED IN THE START MENU? And that we're talking about the start menu, that again, INCLUDES THE SEARCH? :rofl: He slams the start menu as a whole, not specifically the menu which you can use to navigate. And given that this topic is about the entire start menu being gone, including the search, his point is doubly confusing. You two do realize that clicking the start orb will now kick you back out to the Start screen, not simply keep you in the desktop with a search menu... right?

What makes you think that a search box can ONLY be placed within the Start Menu? They can and WILL have a search button in the Start Screen. There's no point whatsoever in maintaining the bloated Start Menu purely to facilitate the search box.

Edit: I posted before you added the second paragraph.

Of course they can add the search somewhere else. They can add a list of applications somewhere else, too, and that's what we're discussing, is it not? But that doesn't make it any less stupid. Why kick me out, take me to a search and/or application menu, that's going to kick me right back into the desktop if it's an application designed for the desktop? It's stupid

The old desktop will remain a part of Windows 8 to maintain legacy application support. But as more and more "modern" apps start to emerge, there will be less and less need to visit the old UI. It's somewhat like the conversion from DOS to Windows. You have to use the command prompt to use legacy console based apps. But as time went on the number of console apps began to disappear. The same will happen over time with "classic" Windows apps.

What makes you think that a search box can ONLY be placed within the Start Menu? They can and WILL have a search button in the Start Screen. There's no point whatsoever in maintaining the bloated Start Menu purely to facilitate the search box.

Edit: I posted before you added the second paragraph.

I only added my second paragraph to reiterate what I've already said. Your post doesn't address that point, either: why should it kick me out to the start menu, only to kick me right back into the desktop? That's beyond stupid if that's truly how it's going to work.

I only added my second paragraph to reiterate what I've already said. Your post doesn't address that point, either: why should it kick me out to the start menu, only to kick me right back into the desktop? That's beyond stupid if that's truly how it's going to work.

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. But I assume you are talking about the switch to the old UI whenever a legacy app will be launched? Yes, that will create incosistency, but as I mentioned in the last part of my post, this will disappear over time -- maybe by the time Windows 9 is launched there will be "modern" apps for everything.

But as more and more "modern" apps start to emerge, there will be less and less need to visit the old UI.

Heard the exact same thing about .NET and later about WPF and how it is the next big thing we will see as a standard for Windows programs. Did it happen? No! The majority of the programs on your PC is still native Code and there is no major mainstream program that utilizes WPF!