Windows 8 RTM Stock App Previews

Nice! Finally a good way to browse local music in the music app. Noticed "Xbox smartglass' when i connected the companion app to the xbox today.

Isn't that pretty much how it is in RP? :/ Note how "my music" is still not the main landing page. :crazy:

if ones needs aren't met on that side of the OS then go to the one that does, best of both worlds.

How is it the best of both worlds if you have to decide for each task which 'side of the OS' to choose?!

I'm shocked by this because when Windows 8 was still in beta apologists kept saying "Wait until the product is finished". Now Windows 8 hit RTM people still aren't allowed to criticize the over-simplicity of the build-in apps?

It's like criticizing notepad for not being like word at this point. If they get more advanced features great but it doesn't seem like it. Now you can find another app that might do more or go back to the desktop, they're valid choices. Besides, I was being general about metro apps and not specific to the built in ones. It seems like regardless though, people have defaulted to the thinking that they're all going to be simple.

How is it the best of both worlds if you have to decide for each task which 'side of the OS' to choose?!

What? You're always deciding what to use for a specific task, if one app doesn't do it for you you use another one, if I need to make some simple changes to an image compared to advanced editing jobs I'm not going to start photoshop. It's the same idea, it's the best of both worlds because you have the choice between what works best depending on the task/situation from the get go instead of being forced into doing it one way or the other.

It's like criticizing notepad for not being like word at this point.

I'll be sure to remember you said Microsoft's build-in Metro apps are about as advanced as Notepad. Cheers. (Y)

I'll be sure to remember you said Microsoft's build-in Metro apps are about as advanced as Notepad. Cheers. (Y)

Nice way to spin things, you work in PR btw?

Nice way to spin things, you work in PR btw?

It's what you said. Then you even go on saying it's unlikely they'll ever become more advanced. In fact, you don't limit what you're saying to the build-in apps, rather Metro in general. The last sentence of your post being in contradiction with the rest.

It's what you said. Then you even go on saying it's unlikely they'll ever become more advanced. In fact, you don't limit what you're saying to the build-in apps, rather Metro in general. The last sentence of your post being in contradiction with the rest.

He didn't say Metro apps were as advanced as Notepad. It's called an analogy. Now, as far as the rest of what he said, that's another story.

You're always deciding what to use for a specific task, if one app doesn't do it for you you use another one, if I need to make some simple changes to an image compared to advanced editing jobs I'm not going to start photoshop. It's the same idea, it's the best of both worlds because you have the choice between what works best depending on the task/situation from the get go instead of being forced into doing it one way or the other.

Except we're talking about two completely different application environments here. Different way to switch between apps, different process model, different way to quit apps, different window behavior, different look and UI widgets, different way to access prefs etc. It might as well be a completely different OS in a virtual machine. In fact, you could have the best of 100 worlds (memory permitting) that way. And now you're saying it is going to remain that way, i.e. Metro for simple apps, Desktop for everything else?! Good grief.

He didn't say Metro apps were as advanced as Notepad. It's called an analogy. Now, as far as the rest of what he said, that's another story.

Obviously in comparison, which still doesn't lead to us to a very positive thing:

The build-in Metro apps compared to what we had on the desktop are as advanced as Notepad compared to Word.

Ouch.

Except we're talking about two completely different application environments here. Different way to switch between apps, different process model, different way to quit apps, different window behavior, different look and UI widgets, different way to access prefs etc. It might as well be a completely different OS in a virtual machine. In fact, you could have the best of 100 worlds (memory permitting) that way. And now you're saying it is going to remain that way, i.e. Metro for simple apps, Desktop for everything else?! Good grief.

Where did I say it'll remain that way? I said it's what many think will be. If anything I expect with time that we'll see more advanced metro apps, the new OneNote MX is a step in that direction with the radial dial element. Besides what does it matter if they're different exactly? So what? That hardly changes anything, you could do things on different OSs and go between the two depending on what you felt was better suited to the task you wanted to complete. This, yet again, isn't anything new, so what's the problem exactly?

Except we're talking about two completely different application environments here. Different way to switch between apps, different process model, different way to quit apps, different window behavior, different look and UI widgets, different way to access prefs etc. It might as well be a completely different OS in a virtual machine. In fact, you could have the best of 100 worlds (memory permitting) that way. And now you're saying it is going to remain that way

this sounds very familiar. Oh that's right, this could have very easily said about the transition from command line to GUI, or the windows 3.11 way of doing things to Windows 95. I could say more but you're probably just gonna say that this in no way relates to the current situation anyway ....

Poor little guy, I'll lend you my shoulder to cry on once Windows 8 is forcefully installed on your computer.

I'll be sure to hold you to that! And yeah, at work I'll definitely be "forced" to work with Windows 8 so you better prepare yourself for a 9-hour flight to Amsterdam. :laugh:

I'll be sure to hold you to that! And yeah, at work I'll definitely be "forced" to work with Windows 8 so you better prepare yourself for a 9-hour flight to Amsterdam. :laugh:

You won't be using the metro apps while you work so where's the problem?

You won't be using the metro apps while you work so where's the problem?

You know this how? We have to work with them for trouble shooting purposes and familiarity.

Is there any direct way I can contact you if and when that shoulder of yours is needed? Like an emergency number or something?

what does it matter if they're different exactly? So what? That hardly changes anything, you could do things on different OSs and go between the two depending on what you felt was better suited to the task you wanted to complete. This, yet again, isn't anything new, so what's the problem exactly?

You said it was 'the best of both worlds'. No it isn't. It's just two worlds is all it is.

Is there any direct way I can contact you if and when that shoulder of yours is needed? Like an emergency number or something?

1-800-CRY-BABY or my emergency line 1-800-BOO-WHOO

Isn't that pretty much how it is in RP? Note how "my music" is still not the main landing page.

I bet the album mixview is still screwed too.

this sounds very familiar. Oh that's right, this could have very easily said about the transition from command line to GUI, or the windows 3.11 way of doing things to Windows 95. I could say more but you're probably just gonna say that this in no way relates to the current situation anyway ....

It does sound familiar. You guys keep parroting this but it just doesn't hold up to me. We had DOS and we could load Windows if we needed it. It wasn't until Windows matured that 95 was able to absorb it and force the change. Beyond application support, we could do the majority needed without leaving it.

This forum has become a place full of whiners and haters, and most of them so called "techies". Probably have as much IT knowledge as a milkman! From discussing screenshots we somehow get to the familiar "metro sucks". You guys probably do your best work on dos, you're so against change. :|

Something I was wondering: Has Microsoft released Metro apps that replace the Windows Live Essentials? Like the photo editing app, movie editing etc.?

It seems like the "Windows Games" are still darkened. In the release preview, it said Coming Soon. I was so hoping that by RTM they would be out. What's going on?