Windows 8 RTM Stock App Previews

Using Google and the Windows Store Preview, I've been able to find images of the updates to the stock Windows 8 applications that we will see in the RTM. Sorry for the long post, just tried to use all the images that look new/changed.

Music:

Screenshot.98.1000000.pngScreenshot.98.1000001.pngScreenshot.98.1000002.png

Video:

Screenshot.111.1000000.png

Screenshot.111.1000001.png

Screenshot.111.1000003.png

Photos

Screenshot.72.1000000.png

Mail/Calender/People/Messaging

Screenshot.139.1000000.png

Screenshot.139.1000006.png

Screenshot.139.1000005.png

Screenshot.139.1000003.png

Xbox SmartGlass (Previously Xbox Companion)

Screenshot.946.1000000.png

Screenshot.946.1000002.png

Camera

Screenshot.1348.1000001.png

Screenshot.1348.1000002.png

Screenshot.1348.1000003.png

Edited by SHoTTa35
Moved and tagged
  • Like 1

Curious to see how "complete" the new mail app is.... specifically if it utilizes things like the categories that are in the outlook webapp.

The music app looks nice but there have been rumors skydrive is supposed to be integrated... curious how that will look. Still need to figure out how to edit the metadata for the videos app... haven't been able to add my recorded tv show collections and get them to appear like stuff bought from their store.

Also curious what the launch lineup for games will be on win8.

I'm thinking even after this that these build in apps will see quite a few updates, speically since they'll also be in the Windows RT tablets as well. It should be interesting and I hope they update them often as well.

Nice! Finally a good way to browse local music in the music app. Noticed "Xbox smartglass' when i connected the companion app to the xbox today.

Ok, I'm not seeing any big improvements yet. They better be putting out an update a week so there is something useful by general release. The clock is ticking.

They work great on the desktop once you try it and stop judging it off a few screenshots. But that will never suit the haters :-\

The whole "You don't like it, therefore you haven't tried it" thing has become stale a while ago.

• Like 4

The whole "You don't like it, therefore you haven't tried it" thing has become stale a while ago.

Yep you're right about that. It should be "Yeah we know you don't like, why do you feel the need to keep telling us?"

About the new apps, not much seemed to have changed from RP. I hope they fixed most of the issues. Is there any news on availability (specifically music and videos availability in countries other than UK/USA/whatever else was supported in RP)?

Yep you're right about that. It should be "Yeah we know you don't like, why do you feel the need to keep telling us?"

What you wrote down makes little sense. I clearly said I think they're fine on tablet.

Can you open two pictures or PDFs next to each other yet?

If you want to do more than what these simple, and yes, they're meant to be basic and simple, metro apps can do you're more than capable of using the desktop. It's why it's still there. There's really no need to keep taking shots at the metro apps because they aren't advanced enough at this point, most of them aren't meant to be anyways. That's not saying you won't get more advanced ones, that's just up to what developers can do though. Regardless, if ones needs aren't met on that side of the OS then go to the one that does, best of both worlds.

• Like 2

Is there a way to get the music and video apps to start with my content instead of showing the "spotlight" and other ads? Or at the very least, do they remember the last view?

Yes, I can tell you're shocked by this, yet it's true.

I'm shocked by this because when Windows 8 was still in beta apologists kept saying "Wait until the product is finished". Now Windows 8 hit RTM people still aren't allowed to criticize the over-simplicity of the build-in apps? Redirecting people to the desktop is just a lame response. Especially because there are no build-in desktop counterparts that actually offer more functionality.