Photo

Poll: Windows 8 Experience (How do you like it?)

win8 win7

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

Poll: Did Microsoft do gooder? (1144 member(s) have cast votes)

How was installation?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How is compatibility?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

The features

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2012 - 15:52

I just wanted to post this

http://www.theverge....-next-windows-8

Awesome review from a mac user! :) Gives an amazing image of the endless possibilities of next gen UI

You mean a completely awkward paradigm that is completely cumbersome on a desktop/laptop?

#17 CG-88

CG-88

||Modified||

• Phone: Lumia 625

Posted 16 August 2012 - 16:08

I still defend the usability of w8 on a desktop, but lets not get into, will clutter up another thread

I just thought it was a good review of a surface application of W8, best one I have read tbh. :) thats the only reason I posted it

#18 Tilt090

Tilt090

Neowinian

Posted 16 August 2012 - 16:09

it looks like a toy.. like you get lego for the first time or a video game for the first time. seems directed at 4-12 age group. the next gen of computing.

#19 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 16 August 2012 - 16:36

Awesome review from a mac user! :) Gives an amazing image of the endless possibilities of next gen UI

I just finished reading that, it is written rather nicely and balanced.

#20 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 16 August 2012 - 16:38

Aside from a few issues its fairly smooth sailing. However I can't the Window frame colours, they all look horrible with my wallpapers, plus if I have it dark, I cannot read any writing in the title bar.

#21 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 16 August 2012 - 17:14

Thanks for the link. It's nice to read something positive about the possibilities that Win8 offers without having to read through all the same nonsense about the Start Screen vs the Start Menu.

#22 SuperJediMedia

SuperJediMedia

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2012 - 22:12

The interface is VERY VERY UGLY, as I posted in another thread. I PREFER CIRCLES. All these squares look like crap!

At least on Windows 7, and prior, desktop icons can be transparent and any shape you want!

#23 Joshie

Joshie

Wandering NPC

Posted 16 August 2012 - 22:38

The interface is VERY VERY UGLY, as I posted in another thread. I PREFER CIRCLES. All these squares look like crap!

At least on Windows 7, and prior, desktop icons can be transparent and any shape you want!

Yes. And desktop icons in Windows 8 can still be transparent and any shape you want.

Fun fact: desktop icons for Windows 8, 7, and before would highlight with a rectangle whenever you'd actually select them. The rectangle is always there. It's just more visible on the Start screen.

#24 EmbraceNext

EmbraceNext

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 16 August 2012 - 22:42

I have a MacBook Pro Retina I use for home and work. I deleted my Windows 7 yesterday and installed Windows 8. I absolutely love Windows 8. It is different and some workflow changes are in order. As human nature we are resistant to change and this is a pretty big one for our everyday lives. I am sure quite a few people will want Win7 back just like everyone wanted Win 3.1 back after their upgrade to Win95.

I am excited. Even though it looks touch based so far, its a great experience with a mouse and keyboard. One tip I would give is learn keyboard shortcuts. Give it some time and you will be way faster in Win8 than Win7. Another thing I like is that Microsoft went their own way with this. Great job by them. Its probably to early to say this but its almost like this is MS 2.0 or the rebirth of MS.... whatever the case it I love this direction.

#25 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 16 August 2012 - 22:48

Tried installing on an old pc, wouldn't go due to lack of virtualization. Ended up installing Arch instead and it runs flawlessly. Installed on a virtual machine on main desktop. Find the UI to be a major step back. The lack of transparency, the blockiness (not very smooth), and the full screen launcher feel like the progress made with vista and 7's ui was scrapped for something easier (which I don't like, nor find easier in som respects).

Install was mindless (which is good). I know without hacks the Start menu won't return, the "Modern UI" start screen, and squared borders will remain, but I like many others I'm sure would prefer a MS Built solution. I think the UI is 100% my reason for staying with 7, and probably will do so until the above is either rectified, or 7 becomes obsolete, at which point I will likely make the full move to linux.

#26 Kalint

Kalint

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 17 August 2012 - 00:03

It's going to take getting used too...

#27 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 17 August 2012 - 00:23

Guys would you cut it with the metro start screen crap? I'm not too fond of it either, but I maneuver with it regardless.

If there wasn't anything "facial" or any change at all you would complain on why would you need to spend more money to get "the same looking OS" with just some goodies inside it.

#28 ThePitt

ThePitt

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 August 2012 - 00:35

3/3/1
No big changes compared to 7. No speed improvements other than boot-up. Basically is 7 with a really annoything interface. So, the option is pretty clear, back to 7. If aint broke dont fix it. Only a fanboy would find this fascinating. Force me to use my desktop like a tablet is simple a slap across the face.

#29 TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie

Neowinian

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:02

Installation was really quick, absolutely no conflicts for hardware or apps, and it has everything I need - except for bloody DVD playback, but then I installed MPC-HD and all is once again well on the Western front..

Love it, love it, love it!
Don't love Android or Apple rubbish.

#30 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:11

I have to say after using it for about 2 hours Its not as bad as everyone says it is. It's much better then preview that came out just awhile ago. Metro apps are still not poslished but run better then I thought they would. It does seem a bit more snappier then Windows 7 on the desktop.