Window 8 RTM defragger

win8

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 chillipig

chillipig

Neowinian

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:47

As market leaders Perfectdisk and Diskeeper haven't released Windows 8 compatible versions of their defrag software yet I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations, as I cant seem to find anything paid or otherwise that works with windows 8 at this point.

#2 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:48

Mydefrag? I've always used that to be honest. Back from the days that it was jkDefrag...

It doesn't officially support windows 8 but I can't see why there'd be any issues

http://www.mydefrag.com/

#3 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:50

As market leaders Perfectdisk and Diskeeper haven't released Windows 8 compatible versions of their defrag software yet I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations, as I cant seem to find anything paid or otherwise that works with windows 8 at this point.

I use this free one. http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/

Just remember if you are using windows 8 with an SSD, you don't want to defrag SSD's.

#4 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:50

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Piriform makes some great products, defraggler has been updated to support windows 8

#5 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:53

Why not just use the built in one?

#6 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:59

Piriform makes some great products, defraggler has been updated to support windows 8

I've actually stayed with the included defragmenter - and I used to use Diskeeper with Windows 7.

The *why* is simple - Disk Optimizer (the Windows 8 defragmenter) is not only improved over the desk defragmenter in 7, it's even improved over Diskeeper Pro Premier (what I'd used with Windows 7).

It's the only free multi-pass defragmenter, first off.

It's the only multi-pass defragmenter that is entirely graphical - no text mode at all.

It's the only multi-pass defragmenter that does NOT require a reboot.

It's still written by Condusiv (the same folks that used to be Diskeeper Corporation) - and it's still part of the operating system.

I've been loyal to Diskeeper since 1999 - however, Disk Optimizer in Windows 8 has effectively mooted it.

#7 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:42

I've actually stayed with the included defragmenter - and I used to use Diskeeper with Windows 7.

The *why* is simple - Disk Optimizer (the Windows 8 defragmenter) is not only improved over the desk defragmenter in 7, it's even improved over Diskeeper Pro Premier (what I'd used with Windows 7).

It's the only multi-pass defragmenter that is entirely graphical - no text mode at all.

It's still written by Condusiv (the same folks that used to be Diskeeper Corporation) - and it's still part of the operating system.

I've been loyal to Diskeeper since 1999 - however, Disk Optimizer in Windows 8 has effectively mooted it.

This is what I thought as well but never looked into it that much. It seems the built in option has been improved quite a bit over it's Windows 7 counterpart. I also don't see a reason to use something else, I use the built in defragger in Win7 as well.

#8 OP chillipig

chillipig

Neowinian

Posted 01 September 2012 - 20:21

I think I am just going to have to go with the native defragger, not that I've ever seen any bad press regarding the quality of Condusiv Diskeeper but as this Wikipedia page isn't disputed by Condusiv I would normally boycott their software if it wasn't already part of Windows.

http://en.wikipedia....iv_Technologies

"Founder

While studying electrical engineering at Northwestern University in 1968, Craig Jensen took a night job as a computer operator to learn about computers. He went on to develop advanced operating systems for early technology pioneer Applied Data Research, and in 1974 moved to Data General Corporation. He founded Executive Software International in 1981, he says, "with an early personal computer and a box of file folders in his kitchen in Hollywood." Mr. Jensen stepped down as CEO in 2009.

He is the author of The Craft of Computer Programming (New York: Warner Books, 1985) ISBN 978-0-446-38147-5.

Craig Jensen, is a member of the Church of Scientology and a member of the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises (WISE), an international membership organization whose members use the management technology of L. Ron Hubbard, founder of the Church of Scientology. He has stated that his employees are schooled in Hubbard's management technology,[6] with courses that include Effective Leadership, Executives and Ethics, Executive Basics and Management by Statistics.[7] Jensen attributes much of his success in business to the use of this technology, saying "I attribute [our] success directly to the management technology developed by L. Ron Hubbard. Simply put, I couldn't have done it without his help." [7]

In 1991, the company (back then Executive Software) denied Ciba-Geigy technical support for the VAX version of Diskeeper after learning that Ciba-Geigy makes Ritalin, a drug opposed by scientologists[8] (see also Scientology and psychiatry)."

As for the other suggestions I checked them all and none are officially compatible with W8 and I want that for intelligent features similar to 'Smart Placement' in Perfectdisk.

Thanks Anyway...

#9 Daniel_Pooh

Daniel_Pooh

Neowinian

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:02

i second this is absolutely the best one!

#10 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:24

Why not just use the built in one?

I'd go one step further... why bother at all - why bother even thinking about this - when the built in one runs automatically on a schedule :p

#11 Subhadip

Subhadip

Neowinian

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:07

I'd go one step further... why bother at all - why bother even thinking about this - when the built in one runs automatically on a schedule :p

Exactly, Automatic Maintenance in Windows 8 works very well indeed, defragmentation being the one thing it takes care a lot better than its Windows 7 predecessor. In fact, it seems more effective than Degraggler. Even better is that it recognizes SSDs and optimizes them. Things like maintaining your PC, installing security bundles / antivirus etc should go away with Windows 8. It is all automatic and the in-built systems are rather good.

#12 it_freakDude

it_freakDude

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC 7 Mozart (Microsoft® Windows® Phone 7.8); Samsung GALAXY S Advance (Google Android™ 4.1.2 I9070PDXAME1)

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:12

Auslogics Disk Defrag works with Windows 8!

#13 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:16

+1 for Defraggler

#14 kiddingguy

kiddingguy

^ Nikki, my dreambabe!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:40

Maybe on or around Oct 26 the 'big ones' will have Windows 8 compatible defraggers....

#15 phailyoor

phailyoor

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:17

In general, most win7 defraggers should work in win8, though I don't really see the need for a third party program when the OS does it.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!