Get together on a dedicated server?

Question

I've thought out this just a bit lately, but would anyone be interested in getting together on a dedicated server from somewhere? Here's what we could get with about 30 people on this:

Amd Athlon 2000+

1GB Ram

CPanel

3.75GB Space :blink:

65.625GB of Bandwidth (Multi-honed)

Unlimited MySQL DBs/FTP accounts/domains/subdomains

$5/month each

If you're interested, please fill out the form here: http://www.timdorr.com/dedicated.php

It'd just be us on our own, so it'd be up to me and/or someone else to manage the thing. The advantage is lots of cheap space, the disadvantage is not having the complete managed support you may be used to. However, you have neowin for that ;)

Edit: Updated the specs to the latest quote.

Yeah, that's 2gb/30gb PER PERSON, assuming we get 30 people together on it for $5/month. You can pay more for a larger block, if you need it. And I'll probably be nice and oversubscribe everyone so you can go over that if you want :)

I'll probably get some sort of "sign-up page together to voice your interest in this. It won't be anything binding, just something to indicate to me that you wanna do it :)

Yeah, I wouldn't put limits on that. Whatever can be unlimited I'll make unlimited :)

Well, then this is definately sounding better and better.

Paypal payment would be great, too.

nah I learned many lessons regarding sharing site, bandwidth, size, management...etc.. never work out in the end.

ill always get the short end of the stick.

It sounds like something I would be interested in, you can email me extinct@theartofwarfare.net with more exact info,

I think you should just ask people for their email in this thread if they might be interested, then send a mass mail to everyone who requested more info, about everything

I went to the server beach site and got one of those admin popup things, chatted with a rep for a while. I might actually be interested in 2 "blocks" of this deal, but I would like to hear from others what some of the downsides might be with doing this.

will you offer extended packages or stuff, like if someone wanted 4gb and still just 30gb transfer, how much more?

Even though i put "wait till it gets started" on the form, im almost ready to do it. If you need any help me and a friend have been running our own server for awhile, but right now we are limited on ports due to his ip blocking them, so we only had access to 2, so we have no ftp! so we are looking for a host, but its gotta be cheap and this is a great deal :|

edit: payment will be sent to you i assume, can you accept cash for us users without credit or web-supporting parents :p And can we send you $120.00 and get locked in for 2 years?

will you offer extended packages or stuff, like if someone wanted 4gb and still just 30gb transfer, how much more?

It seems to me that this will be more of a community thing. Therefore Timdorr will not be "offering" anything. In order to have something custom like that you would probably need to make some kind of a deal with other members.