Wallpaper Quality?

win8

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2012 - 21:52

I beg to differ. The diagonal lines across the flower are consistent with a Tilt-Shift blur done in PS CS6.

Diagonal lines? I see standard image compression, but I don't see those, and I'm on a professionally calibrated monitor. Normally I'm the person who tears these images apart if I spot poorly handled PS work.

#17 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2012 - 22:10

So people are surprised that Microsoft didn't include 2560x1440 wallpapers when it's going to be a tiny market share and are surprised to see artifacts when they're blowing up an image 4 times? :huh:

#18 Joga

Joga

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:39

I actually discovered this just the other day. The OP is right - Windows automatically compresses your wallpapers when you set them. At least it does when you use custom wallpapers - I'm not entirely sure how Microsoft does it for the default ones. It stores the compressed file in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes - you'll notice that "Transcoded wallpaper" is significantly smaller than whatever the actual image is.

Through some trial and error I've found a way around it though. Assuming your wallpaper is a .jpg, you first have to convert it to a .png (I use the Gimp or probably even Paint works). If it's a jpeg then Windows will always compress it. How you need to set the background so that it's lossless seems to depend on your OS:

For Windows 8: Once it's a png you can just use File Explorer and right click -> set as desktop background. You can also use the Personalization menu from the desktop.

For Windows 7: The only way I could get it to not compress was to open the png in Firefox and right click -> set as desktop background. This works in 7 but creates artifacts in 8 - it's weird. I primarily use 8 so I haven't tested 7 as much.

The jpeg artifacts are particularly noticeable with vector art. I use this image is a test: http://fwallpapers.c...-background.png

You can see it for yourself - save it and set it via Windows Photo viewer - you'll notice the orangish curve in the middle has noticeable jpeg artifacting (even though the source is a png). Then try setting it via File Explorer (assuming Windows 8) - it's completely lossless. The artifacts usually aren't that noticeable - especially with nature photos and stuff; I'm just pedantic about my desktop backgrounds.

Edit: Huh, I thought using File Explorer caused compression for PNGs in Win8, but apparently it doesn't. I think it still does in Windows 7 though. The important part is converting it to PNG. Then just play around with different methods of setting it until the artifacts disappear.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!