win8

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 15:12

Nope, loved Win 7 from the get-go. Of course I also made the switch to Vista without issues.

#17 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 15:20

EDIT: The top comment on Ed Bott's article makes me ROFL.

Sure, why doesn't Microsoft just add back in every option Windows has ever had over the years? Don't be mad when a default install size then reaches over 50+ GB's... Id' also hate to see what kind of support would be needed for an OS that still has all that code in it. :rofl:

hey, I for one love the fact in Windows 8 I can still select the Windows For Workgroups UI as my default program manager.... err wait

#18 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 21 November 2012 - 18:06

Funny thing is, I told a few folks that Windows 7 was chastised in the beginning, and no one believed me. :p

While true, the majoity liked Windows 7 on release, the few Windows XP diehards around for Windows 7 are dwarfed by the dislike
for Windows 8(modern UI on the desktop), as an up and coming system admin though, you'd better get used to complexity and
corporate BS, because 90% of your job will be dealing with it.

Even though I am a up and coming system admin, I love the changes made to Windows since XP. I hate complexity, and Windows 7, and now Windows 8 have removed a ton of that crap that riddled XP. Now if only Cisco could wake up and realize it's not 1970 anymore...

You bolded waaaay too many words there. I don't hate Windows 7, just complexity.

So that's why you love so much Windows 8... interesting.

Well, his story checks out, two extra words bolded is "waaaay too many".

#19 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 21 November 2012 - 18:10

XP was great in its time, and if a computer's hardware couldn't support Windows 7 or even Vista I would use XP on it in a heartbeat.

Whatcha talking about ?

My desktop's hardware is running Windows XP just fine. :laugh: And I went thru 3 upgrades, including motherboards.

#20 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

Posted 21 November 2012 - 18:24

Whatcha talking about ?

My desktop's hardware is running Windows XP just fine. :laugh: And I went thru 3 upgrades, including motherboards.

You might have misunderstood what I meant.

But if your hardware supports Windows 7 and you still use XP, that's your choice
As for me, if it would support Windows 7 I would use that over XP, but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with XP.

#21 trek

trek

7 / X

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:28

Even though I am a up and coming system admin, I love the changes made to Windows since XP. I hate complexity, and Windows 7, and now Windows 8 have removed a ton of that crap that riddled XP. Now if only Cisco could wake up and realize it's not 1970 anymore...

Cisco CLI isn't going anywhere.

#22 Jose_49

Jose_49

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 21 November 2012 - 20:42

You bolded waaaay too many words there. I don't hate Windows 7, just complexity.

Now that's more like it :p

#23 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:01

I've not really used Windows 7 so I can't comment fully, but I have found in the past that when I've tried to find a simple option, Microsoft have moved it somewhere that doesn't make sense in my mind. Sure enough, I had the same problem when I tried Windows 8. Now of course if I started using either as my primary OS I would come to learn where everything is eventually, but that won't stop my brain from saying, "Where's that option gone? Oh, there it is. Why would they put it there?"

So you are not a Windows user then? You are using Linux or another operating system instead of Windows?

#24 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:10

Andrea...Intrinsica said that they haven't really used Windows 7. They didn't say that they didn't use Windows....just not Windows 7.

#25 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:17

Andrea...Intrinsica said that they haven't really used Windows 7. They didn't say that they didn't use Windows....just not Windows 7.

Well there are different versions of Windows,Windows 95 and 98,Windows 2000,Windows XP,Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8. And some people are still using Windows 2000 and earlier versions of Windows.

#26 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:18

/Facepalm

I fell into the trap again...should have resisted.

#27 darkrats

darkrats

Neowinian

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:28

I continue to use XP on both my computers, and there are only three reasons why I would abandon it.

1. I can no longer find hardware that will work with XP.
2. I want to play some high end games that require Windows Vista or higher.
3. I somehow get the urge to play around with Internet Explorer 9/10.

I still use Office 2003 to write letters, send email and design websites. My printer and scanner work with XP just fine.
I can watch videos, play music, tinker with photos and pictures and play a few old favorite games (like Unreal Tournament) online.
I have a decent firewall, anti-virus software and malware protection. I can surf the net with IE8, FF17 when it's needed.

The fact that I can use XP in Classic mode is nice because it removes all the "eye candy".
My local computer store tells me that they can build me a system that will run any OS from XP to Windows8, and will probably be able to do so for years to come.
As for security updates from MS, even when they end for XP, I can always track down a "geeky" third party to give me something that will do the job.

I may not hate Windows 7/8, but I do love Windows XP.

#28 Buio

Buio

Neowinian

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:32

Funny thing is, I told a few folks that Windows 7 was chastised in the beginning, and no one believed me. :p

If we speak generally, It wasn't. With all things you can find people who don't like them. Windows 7 was widely popular early on, even if of course some didn't like it. Lifting up a few peoples opinions as a general opinion is not good practice. I can go back and find a lot of people that didn't like Windows XP too.

#29 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:48

Lol at 'windows should have removed the RUN dialogue because you can find them by typing in the start menu'.
I just went to the start menu on my VM and typed: gpe, no results found, ctrl + r -> gpedit.msc -> oh look, group policy editor loads...

Not everything can be found in the start menu or the 'start screen' hence why the RUN dialogue was kept in W7.

#30 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:51

If you love XP, you'll love 7. Why? Because it has XP Mode for free. It's been a lifesaver for legacy apps. I couldn't recommend Windows 7 highly enough almost because of that feature alone!