win8

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:48

One of the most important things Microsoft has to do right now is a WinRT desktop, and more WinRT APIs to kill Win32. If they figure out a way to virtualize Win32 apps, they can then switch the OS to a completely different one (Midori) and apps won't notice.

Why would (or should, for that matter) WinRT kill (as opposed to compliment) Win32? Yes - Win32 is an older API; however, there are still things that the Win32 API does that the WinRT API and its progeny can't, don't and (most importantly) won't be capable of doing - ever. While WindowsRT doesn't support Win32, it's not supposed to! WindowsRT is a *subset* OS, while Windows 8 (you know, that *flop* that's grabbed 40 million licenses since RTM) is a a *superset* OS.

Here's some food for thought (for the detractors) - could it be that the reason *why* Windows 8 has that many licenses already is *because* it's a superset OS - that it's more than Win32?

#17 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:15

I don't think WinRT should kill Win32 but it should be extended to the desktop side at least. Once developers can take advantage of the desktop as well with their WinRT apps then it will get very interesting. Hell I should be able to pin winrt apps to the taskbar if I want to.

As for the enterprise knee jerk effect, this is a non-issue. They don't have to upgrade, hell they don't have to install service packs for quite some time so they can test them. If they upgrade to Win8 and want to skip blue then that's just the norm for IT. They skipped Vista for years and stayed on XP, I don't see a difference here. If you think of these as beefier SPs then nothing has changed.

#18 0nyX

0nyX

Posting from Apple //c

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:46

I am not sure i have understood what Windows Blue is gonna be.

Is it gonna be a major update for Win8 like a service pack that will also add a lot of features? If yes then why pay for it as some say?
Is it gonna be a new OS build on the basis of Win8? And if yes that means that Win8 lifespan is going to be short or we are going to have 2 operating systems getting support from Microsoft side by side?

I am a little bit confused.

#19 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:48

Well, this is interesting. Is this due to the change of leadership in the Windows division?

#20 +FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:15

If what the Verge reporting is true, it will still be a win8 - not a new OS. :)

#21 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 29 November 2012 - 13:03

If they drop the 8 which everyone pretty much regards as a big pile of poo, and call it Blue, or Green or whatever, and drop the touch stuff from the desktop version, then this update/upgrade would effectively be Windows 9, and the version that I would actually buy. Well maybe buy, depending if they added the stuff that should of been in Windows 8 in the first place and not dropped.

Im guessing thou that because its rushed (from the failure that is Windows 8, and how they want to get this out in 2013) - it will be more of a band-aid solution.
Hopefully, M$ will just scrap this whole silly idea of unifying the look of all devices, and just have a simple app on the desktop that says 'sync devices' and does exactly that.

#22 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 29 November 2012 - 13:57

I don't see why a desktop UI and metro can't work in harmony. If the story is too be believed, a mid 2013 update seems pretty rushed.

Imagine it is 2009 and Microsoft said = let's do Windows 8 in 2012 followed by an update in 2013 - we shall call it BLUE!
Now it's 2012, JJ_ learns about this plan and his reaction ZOMG Blue is the RUSHED!

Release planning is a multi-year thing man, it's not like they started planning next release after 8 was out.

Me and a billion other business folks ain't going to approve of that.

Enterprise will most likely get an equivalent of Firefox's ESR or whatever they end up calling it. In most cases, enterprise customers won't be upgrading to every Windows release anyway.

#23 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 29 November 2012 - 14:16

Metro isn't going anywhere. Those "UI changes", if anything, will be to fix any problems now with the UI, and possibly add more features to it. Not kill it. You're still not getting the Start Menu back.

#24 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 29 November 2012 - 22:57

Metro isn't going anywhere. Those "UI changes", if anything, will be to fix any problems now with the UI, and possibly add more features to it. Not kill it. You're still not getting the Start Menu back.

While I tend to agree with all of that. From what I've seen, the current state of 8, it's reception, I can't say that absolutely at this time. If Christmas sales fall flat all bets are off.

#25 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 November 2012 - 23:20

While I tend to agree with all of that. From what I've seen, the current state of 8, it's reception, I can't say that absolutely at this time. If Christmas sales fall flat all bets are off.

True. It's more a wait and see what happens. If sales soar then obviously they won't do anything.

#26 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 November 2012 - 23:24

If anyone has the resources to pull off yearly releases it's Microsoft. Good for consumers but a nightmare for businesses.

#27 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 29 November 2012 - 23:29

Well, this is interesting. Is this due to the change of leadership in the Windows division?

Doubtful. Windows Blue was mentioned many months before the Windows 8 RTM.

#28 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 29 November 2012 - 23:47

Doubtful. Windows Blue was mentioned many months before the Windows 8 RTM.

While I won't go in to detail, anyone with an Enterprise Agreement for Operating Systems knows what the real reason for this is. They know what XPs expanded lifetime did, and know that many haven't even gone to 7 yet. When they do, if XP went 8 years through 2 EA cycles, what do you think 7 has the potential to do. In this economic climate?

Microsoft needs business to jump on that incremental upgrade cycle in a hurry to justify those costs every 3 years.

#29 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 30 November 2012 - 00:03

I don't think WinRT should kill Win32 but it should be extended to the desktop side at least. Once developers can take advantage of the desktop as well with their WinRT apps then it will get very interesting. Hell I should be able to pin winrt apps to the taskbar if I want to.

As for the enterprise knee jerk effect, this is a non-issue. They don't have to upgrade, hell they don't have to install service packs for quite some time so they can test them. If they upgrade to Win8 and want to skip blue then that's just the norm for IT. They skipped Vista for years and stayed on XP, I don't see a difference here. If you think of these as beefier SPs then nothing has changed.

right on the button, we have a winner :) we, corporate IT have tight budgets these days and a 3 year rolling replacement (heck you can stretch to 4 if you want to save even more) and youll skip 2 of these updates just as we always have. 98, nt4 w2k, xp, w7 ??

#30 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 30 November 2012 - 00:15

Can't get something back that is still there :/