Everything wrong about Microsoft, Windows 8 and Xbox service(s) in few pict

So I noticed this tweet and thought this is weird - why is Microsoft promoting rival services?

post-62693-0-03125800-1354681345.png

then I fired the awful Xbox video app

post-62693-0-37908100-1354681351.png

then Xbox.com (notice there is no HD option*)

post-62693-0-31724400-1354681353.jpg

then iTunes from iPad (notice HD & SD)

post-62693-0-30358100-1354681349.jpg

then amazon (notice HD & SD)

post-62693-0-81016800-1354681346.jpg

This is just ****ing hilarious...they can't even get their own movie on Xbox Video service! Seriously Microsoft, what's wrong with you? All of this is just random stuff thrown around instead of one well thought out Xbox entertainment brand.

*Didn't check on Xbox proper if it offers HD version there (likely not)

Microsoft makes money by selling through those marketplaces as well.

It would be silly to limit their profits by only selling it in one spot. I mean think about that logic. It's also available on Blu-Ray...I imagine you'd bash that as well.

As regards where to find it on the Xbox...it's in Halo Waypoint. That's their hub for all things Halo and you can watch the whole thing there...free of charge.

Microsoft makes money by selling through those marketplaces as well.

It would be silly to limit their profits by only selling it in one spot. I mean think about that logic. It's also available on Blu-Ray...I imagine you'd bash that as well.

As regards where to find it on the Xbox...it's in Halo Waypoint. That's their hub for all things Halo and you can watch the whole thing there...free of charge.

My logic is not that they should not be on iTunes/Amazon/BD etc. but that it should be on the Xbox video service at the same time. Also AFAIK, there is no halo waypoint for Windows 8. They also removed all but first two episodes from Waypoint prior to its BD/DVD release. If you call this "bashing", then I can't help but laugh.

In that case then on PC you can just hit the official spot for Forward Unto Dawn on Youtube: https://www.youtube....h?v=BfJVgXBfSH8

That's Part 1, and all parts are there and it is official, and it is available in up to 1080p...and it can even be watched via the YouTube app on the 360.

You didn't say that it should land at the same time, you said and I quote, "why is Microsoft promoting rival services?"

I answered that question and pointed out that there are ways to get the content on the Xbox as well as on the PC for free.

There's nothing wrong with having the content available in multiple places. As to why it's not showing up on Xbox Video on the PC? I have no idea. I've noticed that it seems to be separate from the marketplace on the actual Xbox as sales on both can be mutually exclusive.

I fully agree that Xbox Video on the PC needs work...and shouldn't have the same name as the service on the console unless they truly are mirrors of each other.

As for laughing...if you want to laugh at what you've done...that's up to you.

This has always been an issue with Microsofts video services since it started on Zune. It's stupid that they don't offer HD versions of most movies I've looked up.

Even worse is the DRM is absolutely horrible. I now own movies and TV shows I can no longer watch on my pc unless I use my 360.

While it's not limited to MS, the prices are outrageous, as well. I expect to pay no more than $10 for a new digital HD release of a movie.

In that case then on PC you can just hit the official spot for Forward Unto Dawn on Youtube: https://www.youtube....h?v=BfJVgXBfSH8

That's Part 1, and all parts are there and it is official, and it is available in up to 1080p...and it can even be watched via the YouTube app on the 360.

You didn't say that it should land at the same time, you said and I quote, "why is Microsoft promoting rival services?"

I answered that question and pointed out that there are ways to get the content on the Xbox as well as on the PC for free.

There's nothing wrong with having the content available in multiple places. As to why it's not showing up on Xbox Video on the PC? I have no idea. I've noticed that it seems to be separate from the marketplace on the actual Xbox as sales on both can be mutually exclusive.

I fully agree that Xbox Video on the PC needs work...and shouldn't have the same name as the service on the console unless they truly are mirrors of each other.

As for laughing...if you want to laugh at what you've done...that's up to you.

Yes there are ways to get that content on Xbox as you mentioned. I can use YouTube or I can use the Amazon app on Xbox. Youtube doesn't even count because we are talking about buying a movie - one that Microsoft itself produced.

I said "why are they promoting" and not why are they "putting their content" on iTunes/Amazon. If they had it equally available on Xbox video (Windows 8/Surface, Xbox 360, Windows Phone) and had tweeted - watch/buy Halo4:FUD on Xbox video, iTunes, Amazon - that would have been fine as well.(and I could have worded my post better but whatever)

My point again is the total lack of coordination between these different products that Microsoft makes and which I use daily. I rent movies from Xbox video many times and I think I have valid reasons to complain about such things. (Still puzzles me why Xbox video prices are almost always higher than competition such as Vudu, Amazon or iTunes)

I said I feel like laughing because you thought I was bashing whereas I see this as constructive criticism.

p.s. It started showing up in the Windows 8 video store today but it is still only in SD as MuffCabbage mentions above.

Xbox Video is barely worthy of a beta release. Sure, it will get much better, but there's no excuse for not having a better app ready for GA.

How do you feel the app could be improved? Do you have any suggestions for Microsoft?

How do you feel the app could be improved? Do you have any suggestions for Microsoft?

I avoid using it on my desktop/laptop (both non-touch) but here are some,

1. Overall speed/performance - for example launching video app takes forever (you don't need to close app is not a valid argument if the app is not running)

2. Better layout - **** ads and focus on content. They need to re-think the UI (both on Xbox and Win8 actually) and try to improve information density.

3. More options to sort+filter local and store content

4. Search results could be better arranged