Man shoots girlfriend over 'Walking Dead' argument

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
156 replies to this topic

#1 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:35

A Williston Park man who police said shot his girlfriend in the back with a rifle Monday after a heated argument over the television show "The Walking Dead" told authorities he was annoyed that she came to his apartment to smooth things over.

In a statement to police, Jared M. Gurman, 26, said he told his girlfriend, Jessica Gelderman, 27, also of Williston Park, to leave.

"Jess walked into the room and I fired the gun once and hit her," Gurman said. "She said, 'Oh my God. What did you do?' "

A single round from a .22-caliber semiautomatic rifle pierced Gelderman's lung and diaphragm, and shattered her ribs, said Nassau Det. Lt. Raymond Cote, commander of the Third Squad.

Newsday

#2 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,435 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:43

Well that guy has lost his right to own firearms for life. Good thing she lived, and hope he gets some serious jailtime for attempted murder. I've heard rumors that a lot of times a .22 is more lethal against an un-protected soft target than larger rounds because instead of just piercing it bounces around and fragments and causes tons of internal damage.

#3 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,514 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:47

The Governor, the early years?

Seriously though, He shot her in the back as she was walking up the stairs. There is no way in hell that can be deemed "accidental" as this guy's lawyer is trying to do. Most likely he will get off the charges due to a "crime of passion" type of argument...which is total BS. I hope he's found guilty.

#4 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,545 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:49

Well that guy has lost his right to own firearms for life. Good thing she lived, and hope he gets some serious jailtime for attempted murder. I've heard rumors that a lot of times a .22 is more lethal against an un-protected soft target than larger rounds because instead of just piercing it bounces around and fragments and causes tons of internal damage.

This. God, what a complete idiot with no perspective whatsoever. Over a f**ing TV show to boot?? Unreal.

#5 Original Poster

Original Poster

C++ n00b

• 2,961 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:14

technically, he asked her to leave and she didnt ... he then went and got the gun and shot her... he was within his rights to do so, regardless of how the situation came about.

#6 Farstrider

Farstrider

The Clash

• 6,311 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:33

technically, he asked her to leave and she didnt ... he then went and got the gun and shot her... he was within his rights to do so, regardless of how the situation came about.

Seriously?? Why would he be "within his rights"? What a load of bull****, so you are visiting someone or a husband and wife are having an argument, and because the one disagrees with the other, it's OK to just shoot the other person? Really dude, people like you should get a grip and think for 30 seconds before making ludicrous statements like the one you just posted!

#7 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:38

:o

The **** is wrong with you??

#8 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

• 881 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:45

Seriously?? Why would he be "within his rights"? What a load of bull****, so you are visiting someone or a husband and wife are having an argument, and because the one disagrees with the other, it's OK to just shoot the other person? Really dude, people like you should get a grip and think for 30 seconds before making ludicrous statements like the one you just posted!

:o

The **** is wrong with you??

He may be technically correct....

(Varys from state to state) If someone envades your private property and you ask them to leave and they refuse, you have a right to shoot them. Now, it depends on state to state if you can "just do it" (sorry Nike) or if you can only do it if they pose a threat to you.

He might just get away with this one :(

#9 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:48

He may be technically correct....

(Varys from state to state) If someone envades your private property and you ask them to leave and they refuse, you have a right to shoot them. Now, it depends on state to state if you can "just do it" (sorry Nike) or if you can only do it if they pose a threat to you.

He might just get away with this one :(

There has to be some sort of "imminent danger" or self defense stipulation. You can't just shoot someone without serious provocation. If you can, then that is just outright insane.

#10 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,098 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:53

Oh man..there is never a shortage of crazies in the news. The Walking Dead television series is OK...it's nothing compared to the comic book series though. The comic book series is....dark.....

There has to be some sort of "imminent danger" or self defense stipulation. You can't just shoot someone without serious provocation. If you can, then that is just outright insane.

No, you can't. I know that in some states you can shoot trespassers (some states w/ warning, others w/o warning). But since this was his girlfriend we are talking about it, it can be assumed that she had been invited onto the property or something like that. More so if she had a key to his apartment. I've never heard that you can shoot a guest if you ask them to leave and they refuse.

#11 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,934 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 21:55

Not unless his life came under threat. Reasonable people don't pick up a rifle and shoot someone that isn't harming them, or providing a threat, they call the police and let them do their job.

#12 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

• 881 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 22:03

Like Shadrack said: Some states require there to be a threat others you can warn and if they don't leave (irrelevant if she/he has a key, if its YOUR property) once you have warned them, you can shoot them

#13 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,659 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 05 December 2012 - 22:03

Maybe the guy thought she was turning.

#14 Liana

Liana

Tech Girl

• 643 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 23:48

I don't care what the laws say, if you ask someone you're acquainted with to leave your house and they don't, it's all kinds of wrong to shoot them unless you fear that you or someone else are in imminent danger. If she won't leave, call the police, physically remove her, I don't really care, but don't hurt her, and certainly don't shoot her in the back! According to the article, this guy even had the rifle out and loaded when his girlfriend showed up. He needs to go away for a long time.

#15 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 00:04

....told authorities he was annoyed that she came to his apartment to smooth things over.

Heavens forbid that people try to smooth things over.