Windows 8 adoption rate almost at a standstill, far behind Windows 7

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
309 replies to this topic

#61 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian Senior

• 1,710 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 23:50

... And that's why they rolled Steven Sinofsky's head instead.

Oh but didn't he leave on his own accord? lol

/s

#62 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 23:53

Gives MS room to release a Windows 9 that is to Windows 8 as Windows 7 was to Windows Vista, a subtle upgrade. Almost scary how the masses react, Windows Vista was nearly the same thing as Windows 7 but were received very differently. Let's see what happens with Windows 9.

Windows 9 is just going to be an upgraded version of 8. More blah looking software. If you use it on a tablet it may be OK but as for PC use, I am with 7 forever.

#63 kiddingguy

kiddingguy

^ Nikki, my dreambabe!

• 3,189 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 23:55

It's that I've got a TechNet account and/or was able to purchase it for $40 for some friends/family or so... with Windows 7 stable as can be, no need to upgrade desktopwise for $200 to Windows 8 Pro.

#64 RottGutt

RottGutt

I'm a geek. Deal with it.

• 353 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 23:56

Every argument concludes the same way. If Metro UI had been an OPTION instead of the standard, then nobody would be arguing about anything. Under the hood, Windows 8 is superior to Windows 7, but by making the Metro UI the default interface, the whole experience fails. The Metro UI should have been a selectable option chosen during the upgrade/installation procedure. That way folks that like it can enjoy the tablet interface, and those that don't like it can get back to work as usual. Win - Win situation!!

Tim

#65 kiddingguy

kiddingguy

^ Nikki, my dreambabe!

• 3,189 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 23:59

Every argument concludes the same way. If Metro UI had been an OPTION instead of the standard, then nobody would be arguing about anything. Under the hood, Windows 8 is superior to Windows 7, but by making the Metro UI the default interface, the whole experience fails. The Metro UI should have been a selectable option chosen during the upgrade/installation procedure. That way folks that like it can enjoy the tablet interface, and those that don't like it can get back to work as usual. Win - Win situation!!

Tim

With Start8 or alike programs it can be "circumvented" to boot directly into the oldskool Desktop but still, Modern UI is everywhere.
Under the hood it's far better and stable. Yes indeed.

And the start button... where is it?? :laugh: :shiftyninja:

#66 Auditor

Auditor

Neowinian

• 1,164 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 00:09

Windows 8 is a pile of crap and the only reason I upgraded was because I only paid $15. Otherwise there is no way I will pay MS a penny. MS is isloating its core desktop users to gain some foothold in tablet but it's a gamble which they are loosing and will loose eventually. One thing MS has forgotten is that they are supposed to be providing service to customers not otherway around. MS thinks they are too big to fail but eventually if they don't correct their disastrous course of action with this metro crap they will be a huge failure. On by the way, the only reason I can bear this windows 8 is becase I use startisback to get my start menu back.

#67 dvb2000

dvb2000

Neowinian Senior

• 1,503 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 00:17

40 dollar deal is the only reason I upgraded, otherwise I would have stayed on win7.

not even the $40 deal tempted me to buy an inferior O/S.

#68 1941

Banned

• 18,175 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 00:17

Tim

You are quite correct and MS is now paying the price for their oversight and giving users what they think they need and NOT what they want.

#69 Auditor

Auditor

Neowinian

• 1,164 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 00:28

You are quite correct and MS is now paying the price for their oversight and giving users what they think they need and NOT what they want.

You are semi-right. MS is not giving user what they think user need but MS is giving user what MS needs, which is royalty from selling apps which fortunately are not selling very well.

#70 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,376 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 00:30

This makes me happy.

#71 dvb2000

dvb2000

Neowinian Senior

• 1,503 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 00:30

Microsoft's are trying to increase their profits, and they think by copying Apple and forcing an "APP Store" on everyone is the way they will do it.

That is the main reason for the debacle called Win8 Metro and it being forced on everyone with no option to remove it.

#72 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,717 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 03 March 2013 - 00:37

Its not ok when Microsoft does it but everyone else can :rolleyes: Its an appalling practice but hypocrisy to cry about it here but ignore when Mozilla,Google,Apple etc do the same fricking thing,

Crapstores aside its a shame because the hand-me-down's from server 2012 make this one of the best releases in recent years.

Hyper-V, Windows To Go, Storage Spaces, Native ISO & VHD mount, Metered Networks, PowerShell 3, REFS etc put it head and shoulders above windows 7.

#73 dreamsburnred

dreamsburnred

Neowinian

• 391 posts
  • Phone: Telus Samsung S5

Posted 03 March 2013 - 00:39

I installed windows 8 on 4 computers. At first I thought it was awesome...now it's bland and boring, don't see the point.

Typing on a iPad...it's all we seem to sell at work now (major store chain)...no need for a computer.

The rare time I use a computer now I use Ubuntu on my laptop. I'd switch the in laws comps but I don't want to confuse them.

#74 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,574 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 00:53

I hope Microsoft is learning something, towards Windows 9.

#75 hagjohn

hagjohn

Neowinian Senior

• 2,190 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Yellow 1020 w/ 8.1

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:11

I'm not surprised. A lot of bad press about how bad 8 is/was, which isn't/wasn't true.