Just how many people hate Windows 8?

Ed Bott takes a look:

Windows 8 might be the most polarizing product that Microsoft has ever introduced.

In fact, it might be one of the most polarizing tech products to ever see the light of day.

There?s no question that Windows 8 has a large number of outright haters. It?s even inspired comparisons with the much-loathed Windows Vista.

But it?s hard to tell whether that outpouring of anger is simply the echo chamber amplifying a vocal minority or whether it truly represents a widespread negative opinion.

So instead of guessing, I went looking for data. And I found it in a familiar place: the product pages of Amazon.com, where thousands of Windows upgraders in the past six years have left ratings (on the familiar scale of 1 to 5 stars) and detailed feedback about their purchase.

I went through more than 3000 ratings for upgrade versions of the three most recent versions of Windows and tallied those ratings to measure the love/hate rating for each one. (For details on methodology, see the end of this post.)

Continue reading: http://www.zdnet.com/just-how-much-do-people-hate-windows-8-7000013319/

• Like 2

Within the "nerd" set, there a few vocal types that don't like change, it's best if we ignore them instead of making them feel like their antiquated views matter when they don't

• Like 17

a lot of noise about how bad win8 is, but i use it both on a touchscreen tablet and a non-touchscreen, dual mon desktop, and it works just fine on both.

I wonder how many people hating on Win8 have actually sat down in front of one and used it for a couple of days. I, too, thought it was going to be a UI disaster when I first tried out the various iterations. However, I did it in a Windowed VM and never spent any significant amount of time with it. The heavy reliance on edges and corners - which is a great UI choice - broke down when my VM didn't confine my mouse pointer.

I got a Surface RT and it worked very well for me. I didn't feel confused by the UI once it was in my hand on a physical touchscreen with actual edges. Then I went ahead and upgraded my desktop to Win8 too because of the many other improvements over Win7, fully expecting that I will be buying Start8 as soon as I installed Win8... But i didn't! I was actually very comfortable with Metro using a mouse and keyboard, and the start screen fully replaced the start menu in functionality so I didn't have to adapt to a totally new workflow, just a new look for the same functionality with a few minor tweaks. I still work primarily in the desktop on here but the Metro interface doesn't get in the way of that at all.

There are UI quirks of course and places that would benefit from some polishing, and I expect Blue will improve things a lot, but it's not like Win8 is broken right now. The UI is not this amazing wonderful revolution in the desktop, non-touchscreen space, but it's not a step backward either. There's really no reason to stick to Win7 when so much have improved aside from the UI, and if you really can't stand it, get Start8 and bring the old UI back.

I flattened my machine and used 8 as my only OS for weeks and weeks, maybe longer, and tried very very hard to understand and enjoy it, but in the end it was such a PITA to do the simplest of tasks that I got rid and reinstalled 7

When I did, my machine completely made sense again, things were in sensible places and my brain didn't hurt trying to remember to click here and move the mouse to this corner and wait for this to appear, etc etc

Change is not the issue, pointless retarded changes that make things take longer / make things awkward, is the issue

It's still a change and your resistance to it, even you admitted it, you didn't allow yourself to like it

• Like 2

I flattened my machine and used 8 as my only OS for weeks and weeks, maybe longer, and tried very very hard to understand and enjoy it, but in the end it was such a PITA to do the simplest of tasks that I got rid and reinstalled 7

When I did, my machine completely made sense again, things were in sensible places and my brain didn't hurt trying to remember to click here and move the mouse to this corner and wait for this to appear, etc etc

Change is not the issue, pointless retarded changes that make things take longer / make things awkward, is the issue

+1

It's still a change and your resistance to it, even you admitted it, you didn't allow yourself to like it

You obviously read only the parts you wanted from my post right ?

QUOTE: "and tried very very hard to understand and enjoy it,"

• Like 2

I didn't have any difficulties "getting it" once I actually started using it. I don't doubt that you found it unintuitive, any UI will always have people who find it unintuitive.

• Like 2

Within the "nerd" set, there a few vocal types that don't like change, it's best if we ignore them instead of making them feel like their antiquated views matter when they don't

Like yours do :shifty:

I don't really think Windows 8 is the entire problem. Sure, some people dislike it but most of us would adjust in time, like we always have. I think the two problems for Microsoft is that most people's current computer works just fine and they don't see a pressing reason to upgrade, plus most people use their phones for trivial tasks that they once needed a computer for. New computers cost a nice chunk of change anyway and most people's priorities have changed.

• Like 2

I get that not everyone will like or want to move to Windows 8. I've been getting along with it (almost) just fine since late August last year - though like primexx I found the whole UI revamp a pain at first when the Developer and Release Previews hit the web. Strangely it was the flattened desktop visual style that drew me into using Windows 8 when it was made available at RTM.

Though in terms of who is actually using Windows 8, only one other friend opted to replace Windows 7 with 8 and he's liking it as well. Everyone else is on 7 or various Linux distros, excluding the horde of Mac users seen on campus. Keeping in mind we're all computer science students with access to DreamSpark Premium, it's not a huge monetary investment to upgrade - even then, some friends don't really see the point of moving to 8 and even can't be arsed to claim their free keys on DSP.

But I understand it's their choice, and 7 is just fine for them.

What I don't understand is people making much ado about trivial matters when the subject of 8 comes up - whether for or against.

You are obviously too intelligent to understand Windows 8. :p

• Like 3

I agree with you on most points. I tried Windows 8 for nearly a month and at the end of that time I put Windows 7 back on my computer. I just didn't like 8. What really annoyed me no end was there was no easy and obvious way to pin apps in the desktop mode. And inconsistencies like that are riddled throughout the OS.

You obviously read only the parts you wanted from my post right ?

QUOTE: "and tried very very hard to understand and enjoy it,"

That is what extremist and zealots on either extreme of any polarized issue do. They can't help themselves. Their mind literally shuts down and shuts out anything that does not support their, now religious, "belief."

• Like 2

I do not like Windows 8 very much, however I must offer support to my customers for Windows 8, so I must use it, otherwise I will not be able to assist them when they get stuck. Unfortunately VM support for Windows 8 isn't the same, and I don't want to go through the hassle of dual booting on a 120GB SSD.

There are UI quirks of course and places that would benefit from some polishing, and I expect Blue will improve things a lot, but it's not like Win8 is broken right now. The UI is not this amazing wonderful revolution in the desktop, non-touchscreen space, but it's not a step backward either. There's really no reason to stick to Win7 when so much have improved aside from the UI, and if you really can't stand it, get Start8 and bring the old UI back.

Many people have decided those "quirks" that you, someone who favors Windows 8, have identified, as a reason to stick with Windows 7. It quirks them more than it quirks you. That is their choice, just as it is your choice to put up with those "quirks".

That is what extremist and zealots on either extreme of any polarized issue do. They can't help themselves. Their mind literally shuts down and shuts out anything that does not support their, now religious, "belief."

So I'm a "zealot" because I called him out on his BS? I don't care if you like it or not, at least try it and be honest as to why you choose to dislike it, not try and rationalize it with more crap, at least a few here are honest about it, the same way I'm honest it works for me just fine

Being a techie, I don't mind it. Sure, I still use Startisback and Modernmix with my installations of Windows 8. But, for some family and friends who bought new computers, they absolutely hate it. I haven't heard one positive thing about it. Being the tech person, I have to help them out :\

So I'm a "zealot" because I called him out on his BS? I don't care if you like it or not, at least try it and be honest as to why you choose to dislike it, not try and rationalize it with more crap, at least a few here are honest about it, the same way I'm honest it works for me just fine

I don't know if you're a zealot or extremist. I do know you fail to read the full content and context of what people are saying before you put forth your, emotional and irrational, response. As he pointed out, you absolutely failed to read or completely ignored that he did indeed try it. You are irrational because your responses are based on what's in your head, your mind already made up, and not on what you are responding to because you fail to read and comprehend all that is written.

In fact, you should read your own writing: "at least try it and be honest as to why you choose to dislike it"

For that to happen, you have to actually read why people don't like it, and accept what they say whether you like it or not, unless you are a clairvoyant who can read minds.

I agree with you on most points. I tried Windows 8 for nearly a month and at the end of that time I put Windows 7 back on my computer. I just didn't like 8. What really annoyed me no end was there was no easy and obvious way to pin apps in the desktop mode. And inconsistencies like that are riddled throughout the OS.

I really want to like 8, this is the first time every I have not moved over to a new OS, I even stuck it with Vista (Until the first win 7 leaks arrived anyway)

Like you say, inconsistencies everywhere, it doesn't even feel like a real OS to me, Metro & Normal do not mix, and Metro & non-touch PC do not mix, and even if they did, Metro is the most pointless addition to a Windows desktop OS since Vista Ultimate Extras, and even some of those were fun

They have made the "top gear's stretched limo challenge" version of windows, yes you can weld them both together and yes you can drive it, but it will snap in half in the middle of London

• Like 2

I don't know if you're a zealot or extremist. I do know you fail to read the full content and context of what people are saying before you put forth your, emotional and irrational, response. As he pointed out, you absolutely failed to read or completely ignored that he did indeed try it. You are irrational because your responses are based on what's in your head, your mind already made up, and not on what you are responding to because you fail to read and comprehend all that is written.

In fact, you should read your own writing: "at least try it and be honest as to why you choose to dislike it"

For that to happen, you have to actually read why people don't like it, and accept what they say whether you like it or not, unless you are a clairvoyant who can read minds.

You took the words right out of my mouth (and rearranged them into a much more civil order than I would have)

Metro is the most pointless addition to a Windows desktop OS since Vista Ultimate Extras, and even some of those were fun

roflmao. Ultimate Extras. I remember, now that didn't really ever amount to much did it? I do disagree about Metro being pointless on the desktop. I actually prefer to watch Netflix snapped, and would prefer to watch TV in Snap View if they had released a Modern UI Media Center. The Core apps are bad and really the #1 problem with Modern UI is that there are no meaningful desktop applications and when there are, the fact that they can't interact with the desktop will be a limitation. I would love to use the Share and Devices Charm with Win32 apps, but not gonna happen.

It is so unfinished, unpolished, and currently, unnecessary, lol, that I can see why many don't want to have it on the desktop at all. I can also see why many want all that is good in it. I am one of those.

The core apps Music, Video, Mail are a step backwards as is IMO, Modern UI Search. That is unheard of for Windows, to go backwards in functionality. There is good reason Ballmer said this was the company's biggest gamble.

• Like 2