810 replies to this topic

#1 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 31 March 2013 - 23:19

Ed Bott takes a look:

Windows 8 might be the most polarizing product that Microsoft has ever introduced.

In fact, it might be one of the most polarizing tech products to ever see the light of day.

There’s no question that Windows 8 has a large number of outright haters. It’s even inspired comparisons with the much-loathed Windows Vista.

But it’s hard to tell whether that outpouring of anger is simply the echo chamber amplifying a vocal minority or whether it truly represents a widespread negative opinion.
So instead of guessing, I went looking for data. And I found it in a familiar place: the product pages of Amazon.com, where thousands of Windows upgraders in the past six years have left ratings (on the familiar scale of 1 to 5 stars) and detailed feedback about their purchase.

I went through more than 3000 ratings for upgrade versions of the three most recent versions of Windows and tallied those ratings to measure the love/hate rating for each one. (For details on methodology, see the end of this post.)

Continue reading: http://www.zdnet.com...s-8-7000013319/

#2 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 31 March 2013 - 23:24

Within the "nerd" set, there a few vocal types that don't like change, it's best if we ignore them instead of making them feel like their antiquated views matter when they don't

#3 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 31 March 2013 - 23:25

POPULAR

Clicked thread > looked for 'Yes' button on poll > No poll.... :angry:

#4 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 31 March 2013 - 23:29

You can count them on this site. We just need one to post a negative comment about Windows 8, and all the others will come to pat them on the back by clicking Like This.

#5 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 31 March 2013 - 23:32

a lot of noise about how bad win8 is, but i use it both on a touchscreen tablet and a non-touchscreen, dual mon desktop, and it works just fine on both.

I wonder how many people hating on Win8 have actually sat down in front of one and used it for a couple of days. I, too, thought it was going to be a UI disaster when I first tried out the various iterations. However, I did it in a Windowed VM and never spent any significant amount of time with it. The heavy reliance on edges and corners - which is a great UI choice - broke down when my VM didn't confine my mouse pointer.

I got a Surface RT and it worked very well for me. I didn't feel confused by the UI once it was in my hand on a physical touchscreen with actual edges. Then I went ahead and upgraded my desktop to Win8 too because of the many other improvements over Win7, fully expecting that I will be buying Start8 as soon as I installed Win8... But i didn't! I was actually very comfortable with Metro using a mouse and keyboard, and the start screen fully replaced the start menu in functionality so I didn't have to adapt to a totally new workflow, just a new look for the same functionality with a few minor tweaks. I still work primarily in the desktop on here but the Metro interface doesn't get in the way of that at all.

There are UI quirks of course and places that would benefit from some polishing, and I expect Blue will improve things a lot, but it's not like Win8 is broken right now. The UI is not this amazing wonderful revolution in the desktop, non-touchscreen space, but it's not a step backward either. There's really no reason to stick to Win7 when so much have improved aside from the UI, and if you really can't stand it, get Start8 and bring the old UI back.

#6 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 31 March 2013 - 23:37

POPULAR

I wonder how many people hating on Win8 have actually sat down in front of one and used it for a couple of days

I flattened my machine and used 8 as my only OS for weeks and weeks, maybe longer, and tried very very hard to understand and enjoy it, but in the end it was such a PITA to do the simplest of tasks that I got rid and reinstalled 7

When I did, my machine completely made sense again, things were in sensible places and my brain didn't hurt trying to remember to click here and move the mouse to this corner and wait for this to appear, etc etc

Change is not the issue, pointless retarded changes that make things take longer / make things awkward, is the issue

#7 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Phone: Android

Posted 31 March 2013 - 23:43

I flattened my machine and used 8 as my only OS for weeks and weeks, maybe longer, and tried very very hard to understand and enjoy it, but in the end it was such a PITA to do the simplest of tasks that I got rid and reinstalled 7

When I did, my machine completely made sense again, things were in sensible places and my brain didn't hurt trying to remember to click here and move the mouse to this corner and wait for this to appear, etc etc

Change is not the issue, pointless retarded changes that make things take longer / make things awkward, is the issue

It's still a change and your resistance to it, even you admitted it, you didn't allow yourself to like it

#8 Nomad_

Nomad_

Neowinian

Posted 31 March 2013 - 23:44

+1

#9 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 31 March 2013 - 23:44

It's still a change and your resistance to it, even you admitted it, you didn't allow yourself to like it

You obviously read only the parts you wanted from my post right ?

QUOTE: "and tried very very hard to understand and enjoy it,"

#10 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 April 2013 - 00:16

I didn't have any difficulties "getting it" once I actually started using it. I don't doubt that you found it unintuitive, any UI will always have people who find it unintuitive.

#11 1941

Banned

Posted 01 April 2013 - 00:33

Within the "nerd" set, there a few vocal types that don't like change, it's best if we ignore them instead of making them feel like their antiquated views matter when they don't

Like yours do :shifty:

#12 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 April 2013 - 00:34

I don't really think Windows 8 is the entire problem. Sure, some people dislike it but most of us would adjust in time, like we always have. I think the two problems for Microsoft is that most people's current computer works just fine and they don't see a pressing reason to upgrade, plus most people use their phones for trivial tasks that they once needed a computer for. New computers cost a nice chunk of change anyway and most people's priorities have changed.

#13 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 01 April 2013 - 00:34

I get that not everyone will like or want to move to Windows 8. I've been getting along with it (almost) just fine since late August last year - though like primexx I found the whole UI revamp a pain at first when the Developer and Release Previews hit the web. Strangely it was the flattened desktop visual style that drew me into using Windows 8 when it was made available at RTM.

Though in terms of who is actually using Windows 8, only one other friend opted to replace Windows 7 with 8 and he's liking it as well. Everyone else is on 7 or various Linux distros, excluding the horde of Mac users seen on campus. Keeping in mind we're all computer science students with access to DreamSpark Premium, it's not a huge monetary investment to upgrade - even then, some friends don't really see the point of moving to 8 and even can't be arsed to claim their free keys on DSP.

But I understand it's their choice, and 7 is just fine for them.

What I don't understand is people making much ado about trivial matters when the subject of 8 comes up - whether for or against.

#14 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 01 April 2013 - 00:38

You are obviously too intelligent to understand Windows 8. :p

#15 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 April 2013 - 00:43

I agree with you on most points. I tried Windows 8 for nearly a month and at the end of that time I put Windows 7 back on my computer. I just didn't like 8. What really annoyed me no end was there was no easy and obvious way to pin apps in the desktop mode. And inconsistencies like that are riddled throughout the OS.