Why I still like Windows Vista more than Windows 7

Win 7 is so smart, it says my old mechanical mouse is optical... go figure! :D

Which is sure stops you been able to point and click with the mouse?

Vista was important in paving the way for 7. Without Vista there would have been no 7.

Oh indeed, if it wasn't for Vista we wouldn't have 64bit driver support as standard with new hardware. Vista changed a lot for the overall greater good.

Am I the 0only one that's sticking with Vista?

Nah, there's plenty of people out there still using it, any usage chart will tell you that. But it's definitely not for me.. I can somewhat get wanting to stick with XP (no matter how much of a bad idea that is), but Vista? It was a step in the right direction but 7 just does it all a lot better and more reliably. Missing out on a bunch of handy features too that Vista doesn't have.

1. Windows Movie Maker and Windows Mail - true, but both both versions suck anyway, there's plenty of better options. It's easy to get XP's Movie Maker running on 7 though if absolutely needed. Register a couple of DLL's and done.

2. Windows Vista lets me use a small bmp as a desktop wallpaper, while Win 7 blurs it - resize it in a good editor. Once and done.

3. Two extra games for Vista Ultimate (Win 7 Ultimate has no such extras). - Think the last one I personally cared about was Reversi back from 3.1.

4. I prefer Vista's default theme and wallpaper to the Win 7 ones. - Non issue, you can change them. Even make one look like the other if that's your thing.

5. Vista with SP1 and SP2 is just as fast on my PC as Windows 7. - SP2 did a lot for Vista, but personally found 7's still faster, never mind a lot less aggressive with memory usage and much more reliable.

Non issue, you can change them. Even make one look like the other if that's your thing.

Not worth the hassle. And last time I used 3rd party theme to make it even more like Vista I had to reinstall.

For me Windows 7 has different gradients and I just find Vista better looking with the black/white/teals.

Vista was the thing that made me start using OS X.  Then Windows 7 (and now 8) came around and now I use both 50/50.  But I hated Vista.  It ran perfectly fine on my computer, but I just hated it.  And I upgraded the day it was available in stores too!

It was a good thing that it happened that way too.  It is always nice knowing different operating systems when you are in support positions.  I did not know anything about Mac or OS X before Leopard

Not worth the hassle. And last time I used 3rd party theme to make it even more like Vista I had to reinstall. For me Windows 7 has different gradients and I just find Vista better looking with the black/white/teals.

Hassle is all of 10 seconds ;) Just did this a moment ago for giggles. Was never a fan of that teal stuff, always edited to it get it desaturated instead myself, but /shrug that's user preference... at least it's not Luna. Takes a tad longer if you want to replace the icons too. Yea you do need to read the directions carefully if you're replacing system files, especially making sure you've gotten the right ones.

88z6.png

You forgot the major drawback of Vista compared to 7: performance improvements. Windows 7 is superior in practically every way to Vista, and even Windows 8 in some sense. If I could have just the performance improvements from 8 ported back to 7, I'd be so happy. 

For me win 7 is qtill quite similar to Vista, and oevrall I prefer everything in win 7.

Less bloat, better performance, convenient "pinning system" of software in taskbar.

With Vitsa, I felt the need to "alleviate" with software like vlite, with win 7 it's just enough fine.

Now I remind how much I was "fascinated" with vista at launch (I loved the new design/ interface ), despite all the bashing,

while I just don't care of what win 8 have to offer.

My wife still had vista on her laptop and for what she uses it for there is no reason for her to upgrade. Not really a big fan of Upgrading for the sake of upgrading. 

Am I the 0only one that's sticking with Vista?  :)

Not only the only one sticking with it, but probably the only one silly enough to admit it!  :s

Biggest POS Microsoft ever did. Not even Windows 8 is that bad. It's just to different for normal users.

Windows 7 will rule for quite some time, no matter how many times or how fast MS updates Windows 8!

Vista was launched too early resourse-wise, but GUI-wise it was late to the party. By 2006-2007, Windows XP's GUI looked obsolete (imo Luna looked obsolete from day one compared to Mac OS X and some Linux distros and it would've been great if Longhorn was released as sheduled in 2002, 2003 or 2004).

I liked Vista when it came out, since my hardware could handle it.  However, Windows 7 I found to be a significant improvement in terms of speed and ease of use.  Want to change your screen resolution in Vista?  Then you must go on a sacred quest.  But in Windows 7, it's right off the Desktop context-menu.  Plus, as others have said, Jumplists makes Windows 7 just awesome.

Where's Andrea Borman been?  She'd love having a say on this topic.  Unless...martin88 is really Andrea Borman :shiftyninja: !!  Okay, maybe not.. :rolleyes:

Um... O_O.

Yeah, good luck with downgrading to an OS released 7 years ago...

Tell that to the 30% still using XP.

I'm sure they didn't downgrade to XP though lol

The one thing I do miss is the ability to create custom right click short cuts in the Game Center.

Great when you want to launch an exe with specific dos switches.

I miss how in XP, and I think in Vista too, I could right-click my network connection in the task tray and go directly to the adapter settings.  In Windows 7 you have to fight through a few windows just to get to your network adapter settings to try something simple like disable/re-enable an adapter.  XP and Vista's "Repair" features for network adapters actually worked, unlike in Windows 7.

Really haven't tried 8 yet, other than a beta early on.  If MS has a good upgrade to 8.1 deal that is ~$40 or less, I'll be upgrading to it.

In Windows 7 you have to fight through a few windows just to get to your network adapter settings to try something simple like disable/re-enable an adapter.

It's three clicks, not exactly a long fight. Or, just make a shortcut for "ncpa.cpl" and get it in one click. Can even add it to the network icon context menu if you want. If you're enabling/disabling frequently just make a script that calls "netsh interface set..." and pin that in any number of places too, faster than the vanilla XP setup.

dnfd.png

• Like 2

It's three clicks, not exactly a long fight. Or, just make a shortcut for "ncpa.cpl" and get it in one click. Can even add it to the network icon context menu if you want. If you're enabling/disabling frequently just make a script that calls "netsh interface set..." and pin that in any number of places too, faster than the vanilla XP setup.

dnfd.png

THANKS!!!  I've gotten so used to Right-Click tasktray->Open Network Sharing Center->Blank stare for about 20 seconds->change adapter settings.

Vista was launched too early resourse-wise, but GUI-wise it was late to the party. By 2006-2007, Windows XP's GUI looked obsolete (imo Luna looked obsolete from day one compared to Mac OS X and some Linux distros and it would've been great if Longhorn was released as sheduled in 2002, 2003 or 2004).

I've never warmed to the Luna theme.  However, Windows Classic was perfectly usable.  In fact, if Windows Classic didn't look so horrible on 7 I'd still be using it.

THANKS!!!  I've gotten so used to Right-Click tasktray->Open Network Sharing Center->Blank stare for about 20 seconds->change adapter settings.

No problem -- if you get around to adding it as a context menu entry in the shell (right click the network icon), you'll need to call it a bit differently or it'll probably fail with a "not a valid Win32 application" sort of error. Note that this is Win 7 x64, may be different in other versions, don't have access to 8 or Vista at the moment to check. You'll also need permissions to edit that key, take ownership and give yourself permission.  You can change the icon and text (Adapter Properties) to whatever fits your style.  Of course.. backups before tears and all that.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}\shell\Adapter Properties]
"icon"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\netshell.dll,0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}\shell\Adapter Properties\command]
@="rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL ncpa.cpl"

I liked Vista, to me it was a clear upgrade from XP, I had hardware that could run it with ease and no driver issues. But for me 7 was also a clear upgrade from Vista.

I was using Vista a couple days ago...until Saints Row IV asked me to install DXD11 :/

erm, what?  Vista supports DX11.  Saints Row 4 supports DX10.  What's the problem, exactly?

The problem with Vista was that the world was not ready for such a GREAT advanced graphics. Hardware was limited and not price accesible for all people.

Vista changed the world in all manners. forced hardware to increase performance and more stuff...