win7 win8 vista

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

#16 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:11

Why would you want it to look like Vista?  Uxstyle + Clearscreen Sharp!  (Which is also available for Vista).

#17 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:15

At the end of the day you can use whichever OS you would prefer to use. Most of the points you make are to do with the aesthetics which I can appreciate is an individual choice.

Why anyone would want to use a .BMP file for a wallpaper is beyond me though. It's such a hideous format in my mind. :laugh:

EDIT: Looks like Vista's EOL is scheduled for 2017. After that I would strongly recommend changing your OS.

#18 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus running CyanogenMod 11

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:47

I'm not sure if your trolling or not? however your reasons seem some of the most petty ever to me... however each to there own.

I'll list the reasons Windows 7 was my main OS since the RC1 build, until January this year.

• Aero Snap, I could not manage without it. It feels strange using a PC / Mac without it, its ever so useful, especially when you have a nice big screen.
  • Much improved Windows Media Center gets used every day by our family
  • Sticky notes application is something i use every day too, it's so much better than the notepad widget in Vista.
  • Pinning applications to the taskbar is something else i find incredibly useful.
  • Windows XP mode has been a great asset for us at work, we could upgrade to Windows 7, then still run legacy applications perfectly integrated in to Windows 7.
  • Much improved start-up time compared to Vista
  • Improved SSD support (Trim)

For the record i personally liked Vista and used it since it was in beta, however even since the early Windows 7 betas my opinion has always been Windows 7 is everything Vista wanted to be with lots of polish.

#19 OP martin88

martin88

Neowinian

• Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:58

Win 7 is so smart, it says my old mechanical mouse is optical... go figure! :D

#20 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:04

For the record i personally liked Vista and used it since it was in beta, however even since the early Windows 7 betas my opinion has always been Windows 7 is everything Vista wanted to be with lots of polish.

Vista was important in paving the way for 7. Without Vista there would have been no 7.

#21 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:13

If I had to take a guess, I would assume that's because by the time of Windows 7's release they didn't think anyone would still be using a mechanical mouse. But hey, if it works it works, right?

#22 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:24

I used vista in beta and when it was released and it was a terrible OS. It was only with SP1 where the bugs in the system were fully ironed out. Windows 7 is everything Vista was supposed to be. 

There were problems with USB, problems with media and network access, problems with sleep and resuming. This wasn't a case of computers not being powerful i tried it on a lot of different pc's and the results were the same, it was a buggy release, nvidia and intel didn't help with their drivers, microsoft didn't help with the vista certification allowing rubbish computers to come preinstalled with it. 

There were a lot of bugs and problems with Vista, like i said SP1 solved most of them, but that wasn't to say it was a good release. 

Windows 7 and 8 on the other hand have been excellent releases and have built upon the tech introduced in Vista. 

#23 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:24

I considered moving to Mac after I got Vista, even tried a few linux distro's before reverting back to XP until limited driver support required me to upgrade back to Vista again.

Vista was slow and heavy, UI was ugly and it was the first big shift from the basic Windows *feel*.

I doubt word-of-mouth was the reason why Vista was disliked so much because every PC user would've went through Vista themselves and actually used it.

#24 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:36

My main peeve with Vista was that it took a century to shut down.

Don't forget the endless HDD churning that took place if you installed or uninstalled a program. I watched that happen on a lot of machines, even with 4GB of RAM. The only thing I liked about Vista was the taskbar/Window theme.

#25 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:52

Don't forget the endless HDD churning that took place

I just thought it was funny how long it took some businesses to figure out installing things via gigantic EXE files was no longer acceptable (go Direct2Drive hah!)

#26 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy Nexus running CyanogenMod 11

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:03

Which is sure stops you been able to point and click with the mouse?

Vista was important in paving the way for 7. Without Vista there would have been no 7.

Oh indeed, if it wasn't for Vista we wouldn't have 64bit driver support as standard with new hardware. Vista changed a lot for the overall greater good.

#27 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:08

Am I the 0only one that's sticking with Vista?

Nah, there's plenty of people out there still using it, any usage chart will tell you that. But it's definitely not for me.. I can somewhat get wanting to stick with XP (no matter how much of a bad idea that is), but Vista? It was a step in the right direction but 7 just does it all a lot better and more reliably. Missing out on a bunch of handy features too that Vista doesn't have.

1. Windows Movie Maker and Windows Mail - true, but both both versions suck anyway, there's plenty of better options. It's easy to get XP's Movie Maker running on 7 though if absolutely needed. Register a couple of DLL's and done.
2. Windows Vista lets me use a small bmp as a desktop wallpaper, while Win 7 blurs it - resize it in a good editor. Once and done.
3. Two extra games for Vista Ultimate (Win 7 Ultimate has no such extras). - Think the last one I personally cared about was Reversi back from 3.1.
4. I prefer Vista's default theme and wallpaper to the Win 7 ones. - Non issue, you can change them. Even make one look like the other if that's your thing.
5. Vista with SP1 and SP2 is just as fast on my PC as Windows 7. - SP2 did a lot for Vista, but personally found 7's still faster, never mind a lot less aggressive with memory usage and much more reliable.

#28 OP martin88

martin88

Neowinian

• Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 26 August 2013 - 13:03

Non issue, you can change them. Even make one look like the other if that's your thing.

Not worth the hassle. And last time I used 3rd party theme to make it even more like Vista I had to reinstall.

For me Windows 7 has different gradients and I just find Vista better looking with the black/white/teals.

#29 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 August 2013 - 13:21

Vista was the thing that made me start using OS X.  Then Windows 7 (and now 8) came around and now I use both 50/50.  But I hated Vista.  It ran perfectly fine on my computer, but I just hated it.  And I upgraded the day it was available in stores too!

It was a good thing that it happened that way too.  It is always nice knowing different operating systems when you are in support positions.  I did not know anything about Mac or OS X before Leopard

#30 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 26 August 2013 - 13:25

Not worth the hassle. And last time I used 3rd party theme to make it even more like Vista I had to reinstall. For me Windows 7 has different gradients and I just find Vista better looking with the black/white/teals.

Hassle is all of 10 seconds ;) Just did this a moment ago for giggles. Was never a fan of that teal stuff, always edited to it get it desaturated instead myself, but /shrug that's user preference... at least it's not Luna. Takes a tad longer if you want to replace the icons too. Yea you do need to read the directions carefully if you're replacing system files, especially making sure you've gotten the right ones.

88z6.png

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!