Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lashtal

Surface Pro

7 posts in this topic

After the 8.1 upgrade, should my recovery partition also update to Win 8.1?

I wanted to reset my Surface Pro to the clean state and tried to reset it after upgrading, but reverted all the way back to 8.0.

Do I have to download 3+Gb update every time I reset Windows?

I tried installing from retail .iso, but it does not contain Surface-specific drivers. 

That's weird because I was going to revert 8.1 Preview back to 8 a while ago and it reverted to 8.1 Preview.

You could use these drivers, then do Windows update after - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

Thanks, nice find. 

There's also a manual to integrate these into a custom image.

That's weird because I was going to revert 8.1 Preview back to 8 a while ago and it reverted to 8.1 Preview.

I too installed Preview and was able to revert back to 8. Strange.

I too installed Preview and was able to revert back to 8. Strange.

I'm not sure if I wasn't clear or didn't understand your comment.  I didn't think the recovery image wouldn't been changed but when I tried to restore my Surface Pro it restored it right back to 8.1 Preview, not 8.0.  Because of this I assumed that the newer install would write to the restore partition.  In other words, if I tried a restore now it would restore to a fresh copy of 8.1.

Serfice RT updates the recovery partition. Surface pro does not. It's really annoying.

Honestly, if it was me I would not want a recovery partition ever updated... what if it was corrupted during the upgrade? Then what? No simple way back, just have to reinstall everything one at a time off external media...