System volume eating 1TB of space

Answered Go to the full post win8.1

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 13:51

Dude the task has criteria on it, if your machine does not meet that criteria then it wouldn't run. Vs running it manually, adjust the settings on the task, like when it runs to a time more likely for your machine to be on. Schedule it to run more often. By default your machine has to be idle for at min 3 mins, for all we know infected with something on your machine sending out spam, so its never idle ;) Also does not run if on battery, is this a laptop?

As to 10% -- when was the last time it showed that defrag ran? Maybe you just do a lot of stuff on that drive since last week, etc.

The point it the task is designed to run in the background, be it your machine is on when it is scheduled to run or not. It has been this was since vista. 99.999% of the people should have not issues with this and never have to look at defrag.

Maybe your one of those people that like to tweak and have your task schedule service off?

#17 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 November 2013 - 13:54

By default your machine has to be idle for at min 3 mins

That is all you need to know.  I shut off my machine when I'm not using it.

#18 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 14:35

To be honest its not good to shut and start your machine a million times a day..

I could not be bothered with waiting for it to start, even if only 20 seconds.

If your machine is never idle for 3 minutes, then no the background task is not going to have time to run. And is that MS problem?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!