Windows 8.1: Slow login after upgrading to 8.1

Answered Go to the full post win8.1

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 techie81

techie81

Neowinian

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:26

After upgrading from 8 to 8.1 it takes my system anywhere between 15-30 seconds to get to the desktop where it was near instant before the upgrade. What I have tried so far:

Disabling start up apps

Disabled non Microsoft services

Nothing uncommon in event viewer

currently using a local account.

specs:

Gigabyte Z87X-UD5h
4670k stock
256 GB M4 SSD
MSI 6950

soundblaster Z

Any ideas?  :)

Best Answer zhangm , 02 December 2013 - 05:25

OK I think I am close to figuring this out. I made a local account and started updating my settings one by one, no issues. As soon as I designed the test account as an "administrator" account it took an extra 10-15 seconds to boot up. Now the questions is why...

Just shooting in the dark here - did you install the Gigabyte utilities for your motherboard? These cause this issue in Windows 7.

Edit: Here's the thread and the specific utility at fault.
http://answers.micro...4c-c48566429a57 Go to the full post

#2 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:35

I noticed booting up windows 8.1 on my laptop has a longer login time also. Does your computer boot straight to the desktop or do you have to login in and then go to the desktop?

#3 Fred 69

Fred 69

Neowinian

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:01

Do you both use a local account?

I've only ever used one for setting up computers. Perhaps as it's tied in more to cloud services it attempts to connect to them. Since you're using a local account it doesn't have any account details and times out resulting in longer logging in times.

#4 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:14

I've only ever used one for setting up computers. Perhaps as it's tied in more to cloud services it attempts to connect to them. Since you're using a local account it doesn't have any account details and times out resulting in longer logging in times.

I wouldn't believe this is the case, since after the first login, the vast majority of user settings would be synced and locally stored (sync doesn't even transfer apps so much as placeholders). Still, maybe there's something to pursue from this - have you guys tried making a dummy user account (local as well) and seeing whether the issue is a global one with all profiles, or just the one that migrated to 8.1?

#5 OP techie81

techie81

Neowinian

Posted 22 November 2013 - 15:57

Yes, I use a local account and boot straight to the desktop.

#6 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 22 November 2013 - 16:54

Anything odd showing up in the reliability report?

Also, check in the Task Manager's startup tab and see if it says anything is causing a long delay.

#7 sikhwarrior

sikhwarrior

Neowinian

Posted 22 November 2013 - 17:12

I have the same SSD as you and i did a windows 8 to windows 8.1 upgrade but i have not noticed no slow down, my system still feels fast and responsive and im using a i5-2400 processor, and i am using a windows live account, so maybe its a setting you have got that maybe slowed it down?

#8 OP techie81

techie81

Neowinian

Posted 22 November 2013 - 17:27

I have the same SSD as you and i did a windows 8 to windows 8.1 upgrade but i have not noticed no slow down, my system still feels fast and responsive and im using a i5-2400 processor, and i am using a windows live account, so maybe its a setting you have got that maybe slowed it down?

What setting would that be? This issue is related to the upgrade to 8.1 since it started with the upgrade.

#9 OP techie81

techie81

Neowinian

Posted 22 November 2013 - 17:27

Anything odd showing up in the reliability report?

Also, check in the Task Manager's startup tab and see if it says anything is causing a long delay.

Are you talking about event viewer? Event viewer is clean.

#10 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 17:30

Right click Taskbar > Task Manager > Startup (Tab).

Just to clarify something: is your abnormal delay mostly bootup to login screen, or from login screen to desktop?

#11 OP techie81

techie81

Neowinian

Posted 22 November 2013 - 17:56

Right click Taskbar > Task Manager > Startup (Tab).

Just to clarify something: is your abnormal delay mostly bootup to login screen, or from login screen to desktop?

The delay is from the login screen - after entering my password and hitting enter - to get to the desktop.

#12 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 23 November 2013 - 14:45

No, Reliability Monitor
Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center\Reliability Monitor (or search "view reliability history")

#13 OP techie81

techie81

Neowinian

Posted 23 November 2013 - 16:24

No, Reliability Monitor
Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center\Reliability Monitor (or search "view reliability history")

Nothing suspect in there.

#14 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

Posted 23 November 2013 - 22:20

Have you tried making a new account on your computer just to see whether this issue affects your profile, or whether it is a global problem?

#15 sikhwarrior

sikhwarrior

Neowinian

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:42

I think since windows 8, our logins are optionally tied to our live account and password, i think that we send a request to the servers to make sure our password and username match the one on windows server. Now this is what i think, so it maybe wrong.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!