Windows Phone 8.1 Thread

WP 8.1 Survey  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied overall with the update?

• Yes
    • No give me more features
    • No, undo the changes
    • Don't own a Windows Phone
  2. 2. Will this update make you share Windows Phone more?

• Yes
    • No. I have always been spreading the word
    • No not yet, maybe the next update
    • I don't know

I'm fairly disappointed at how useless the "Me" tile is now. It was nice being able to update to multiple social networks at once. Given how much better everything else is, however, I think I can live with it ;)

• Like 2

I have a feeling the Me tile will have the same fate that music+videos and other "hubs" have had already.  They'll take it out of the OS and make it an APP, at that point they could re-add the lost integration but for now it is what it is. 

I have noticed that my phone's screen lights up randomly since the update. I have noticed it come to life without any visible reason(notification or banner or sound). Has anyone observed this? (lumia 920 but don't think its phone specific).

I wonder if this is one of the reasons of battery life reduction. (I get about 50-70% of my pre-8.1 battery life)

I have a feeling the Me tile will have the same fate that music+videos and other "hubs" have had already.  They'll take it out of the OS and make it an APP, at that point they could re-add the lost integration but for now it is what it is. 

I guess it will become part of the People "app" similar to the People app in Windows 8

I keep getting this weird bug where texts will randomly start a new thread. As you can see I have 2 threads for the same contact.

7nP711x.png

Does "Paul" have two different cell phones?

Does "Paul" have two different cell phones?

Nope, the one number and I checked and it's the same contact it's using for both "/ I still haven't looked into it, might be a common problem, going to search around in a bit and see if I can find anyone else with it.

My 1020 has started locking up at the glance or black screen a lot since the update. already with the black update it did a lot of reboots(pretty much daily it would reboot overnight at least).

wondering if this is just the update being early and unstable or if I should have it sent in, or f it could help to do a full reset on the phone. and if I did a full reset, how much would set itself back up automatically afterwards when I sign back into my account ?

Also is there any way to reliably share photos to facebook now ? the built in sharing annoyed me because it couldn't do a lot of stuff,it had limited tagging and could only post pictures individually, you couldn't include a text post with them or tag location with them.

However it beat the Facebook app sharing for several reasons, all of which are still true. the FB app will sometimes just auto close, it's EXTREMELY slow at uploading pictures(the built in app did it near instantly even on edge), it stops uploading the second the app is no longer foreground active, and yes that includes the screen going to sleep. and since the app takes several minutes to upload the pictures that means you have to keep "massaging" the screen and wasting battery..

And most importantly, every time it does manage to successfully upload a picture you get this little message "Your update could not be posted at this time"..... OMFG!!!

Also is there any way to reliably share photos to facebook now ? the built in sharing annoyed me because it couldn't do a lot of stuff,it had limited tagging and could only post pictures individually, you couldn't include a text post with them or tag location with them.

However it beat the Facebook app sharing for several reasons, all of which are still true. the FB app will sometimes just auto close, it's EXTREMELY slow at uploading pictures(the built in app did it near instantly even on edge), it stops uploading the second the app is no longer foreground active, and yes that includes the screen going to sleep. and since the app takes several minutes to upload the pictures that means you have to keep "massaging" the screen and wasting battery..

And most importantly, every time it does manage to successfully upload a picture you get this little message "Your update could not be posted at this time"..... OMFG!!!

I noticed this as well with the FB app on WP8. I haven't tried it since the 8.1 update, but yea a fundamental upload shouldn't require the user to sit there and keeping the screen active.

My 1020 has started locking up at the glance or black screen a lot since the update.

Getting that on the 920 as well. I'd guess the problem is Nokia's firmware, since I was also getting this before 8.1. Especially if I somehow mess up the double-tap-to-wake-up.

Getting that on the 920 as well. I'd guess the problem is Nokia's firmware, since I was also getting this before 8.1. Especially if I somehow mess up the double-tap-to-wake-up.

On my 521, the Camera makes the phone lock up sometimes and Cortana also loves to "force quit" sometimes

I agree on this. I know they are transitioning a lot of things in the O.S, but sharing anything now on FB is much harder. I used to be able to easily update my status, profile pic, and upload photos, now it relies on the FB app. What I'm not sure is if Microsoft is still working on the ME tile to fix this, or if it will require an update to the FB app. Either way, they have essentially taken out one of the main focal points to Windows Phone and that was the ease of being able to do things without extra apps

My 1020 has started locking up at the glance or black screen a lot since the update. already with the black update it did a lot of reboots(pretty much daily it would reboot overnight at least).

wondering if this is just the update being early and unstable or if I should have it sent in, or f it could help to do a full reset on the phone. and if I did a full reset, how much would set itself back up automatically afterwards when I sign back into my account ?

I have a feeling there's some firmware updates that will be sent out once 8.1 is generally released. I've noticed some odd hiccups on my 920, but I'll wait for that to happen before I send any reports.

I have a feeling there's some firmware updates that will be sent out once 8.1 is generally released. I've noticed some odd hiccups on my 920, but I'll wait for that to happen before I send any reports.

Maybe they need your feedback in order to get rid if those hiccups...

My phone didn't freeze tonight when I turned off the wifi. need to test a few more nights to see if this is what's the problem. 

I am hit with a "your password has expired" (85050003) error issue for all accounts (Outlook, gmail, twitter). There is already a thread here with no resolution.

My workplace account (Exchange) also died last night. I received a message saying Company XYZ has erased all content (email, calendar, contacts) from this phone. I can no longer access my work email. :(  (I am still employed :laugh: so that's not a factor)

tried a hard reset ?

no - but the workaround posted in that thread helped (date/time to manual -> turn off for 2mins -> start -> date/time to auto)

Onedrive Version 4.1 for Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers Changelog:

What?s new in version 4.1:

• Now looks great on large screen phones
  • Upload multiple photos, videos and files at once
  • New immersive view for viewing and managing photos
  • Open files from OneDrive in other apps
  • Share files to OneDrive from other apps
  • Sort files and folders
  • Bug fixes and performance improvements

Am I the only one that has this issue? Since updating, my phone seems to constantly think I have a voicemail despite me not actually having any. This has persisted even after a hard reset.

Ok, at this point I've regretted upgrading. Doing so broke more things than I can count on my phone. There's more bugs in this than in a hornets nest. I know it's "beta," but still...

Bugs:

Alarms don't work

Phone will not power off (just restart)

Video camera button doesn't work (have to press it twice)

Notifications don't work

I've started getting late texts

Live tiles aren't updating

Ok, at this point I've regretted upgrading. Doing so broke more things than I can count on my phone. There's more bugs in this than in a hornets nest. I know it's "beta," but still...

Bugs:

Alarms don't work

Notifications don't work

My phone powers off just fine, so long as it isn't charging. Charging forces it to turn on but I'm fairly certain that is by design.

I suggest to you to try backing up your contacts/photos/videos/music (etc..) and doing a reset.

My phone powers off just fine, so long as it isn't charging. Charging forces it to turn on but I'm fairly certain that is by design.

I suggest to you to try backing up your contacts/photos/videos/music (etc..) and doing a reset.

Yeah. It's getting to that point, but I'm deciding if I can live with these bugs, or wait 120 years to receive the actual update.

Bugs:

Alarms don't work

Notifications don't work

I have a site with a list of known 8.1 bugs, but it's on my other computer.

either way I knowa few of those bugs, like alarms, notifications, live tiles and possibly some others will be fixed if you do a hard reset. 

Guess I'm lucky in that the only problems I've found is that clicking on IEs Advanced Settings button doesn't bring up anything and that my battery drain is more than before but not enough to worry me ATM.

All the other stuff work, alarms, notifications, live tiles and so on.