Windows Phone 8.1 Thread

WP 8.1 Survey  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied overall with the update?

• Yes
    • No give me more features
    • No, undo the changes
    • Don't own a Windows Phone
  2. 2. Will this update make you share Windows Phone more?

• Yes
    • No. I have always been spreading the word
    • No not yet, maybe the next update
    • I don't know

I see it in Settings - Wifi - hit the manage button and there it is, 2nd choice under automatically connect to wifi hotspots. 

I don't think that's the setting we're talking about. It says: automatically connect to wifi hotspots provided by my mobile operator; it doesn't mention staying connected after the phone is locked.

They really need to hire a designer. While all simple, most of the interface reminds me of those useless / terrible MVVM implementation. I was hoping that the issues would get fixed with 8.1, but nope. Just take a look at the Music app or Office, so much screen estate is being wasted for absolutely nothing.

There's a ton of whitepapers on the MS website and blogs on the Modern design for Windows 8 and WP7/8 apps. A lot of thought has gone into that, and is being polished ever since. That it not completely suit your taste is another story.

Juts saying that 'they need to hire a designer' isn't a fair statement imho...

Hopefully the app ecosystem will get better now with Universal Apps, every dev knew there was still changes to come and it appears Universal Apps WinRT Api is the way forward.

I never understood the 'store is empty' discussion. I have appr. 10 apps installed, and all the so called 'major' ones are there. If not, there's a proper amount of 3rd party apps that do exactly the same thing.

Yes, if you're going for the lastest craze or Flappy app, go for a Android or Apple phone. But does that make the WP platform less appealing? For me, no. As I don't really care for those apps that will be replaced in 3 weeks by something else.

Again, if you want the lastest and craziest in apps, WP will not always cater to you immediately.

I don't think that's the setting we're talking about. It says: automatically connect to wifi hotspots provided by my mobile operator; it doesn't mention staying connected after the phone is locked.

No, I mean it's the next one after that one.   When I go to that part I have three options to check or uncheck on/off.   The first one is to connect to hotspots automatically, the second is to keep wifi on when the screen locks and the 3rd is to collect and send data to help find wifi networks.  After those three options I see a list of all my known wifi networks.

I think that's more of a user error.

If you received a message the reply was always in the medium it was received in. i.e. If you received an SMS message the reply would be an SMS, if you received a FB message, the reply would be through FB.

If you create a new message to someone you type their name in and you have the option of choosing a phone number to "text" or their "Facebook" contact to send the message through the relevant medium.

The issue you describe might occur if you navigate through the threads and reply that way which would be a smaller use case since it's a slower method of messaging than composing a new message from the "new message" button.

ummm. since messages where allways mixed and you always entered the messages based on person. I don't go and click the +sign every time to start a new conversation when I already have a conversation going. and my use case is definitely faster than creating new threads every time :) Especially since when I replied I usually hit the messaging til that has a number on it, get a list of my latest conversations sorted by activity, click the top one that also shows part of the last unread message, and then write a reply.

there was no faster way to reply to someone than this. especially since I need to read their last message to reply to it as well. 

It wont. Basic Google apps like Maps and Youtube will never be released till this is eats into Google's Android market share.

Few of my apps and games aren't there yet.

So you judge an entire phone ecosystem based on google apps... more specificaly two of them, when Here+ is better than maps and youtube... well I don't tube on my phone anyway, I rarely tube at all. but I'm sure the webpage works fine. 

No, I mean it's the next one after that one.   When I go to that part I have three options to check or uncheck on/off.   The first one is to connect to hotspots automatically, the second is to keep wifi on when the screen locks and the 3rd is to collect and send data to help find wifi networks.  After those three options I see a list of all my known wifi networks.

I only have two options. Wierd.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=8dc5eba1ecd7f2a0&id=8DC5EBA1ECD7F2A0%212272&v=3&ithint=photo,.png&authkey=!AO-YnKRZMG2xC54

Yeah, weird, probably a bug related to firmware or something?   What phones do you guys have?  I have a HTC 8X.

So you judge an entire phone ecosystem based on google apps... more specificaly two of them, when Here+ is better than maps and youtube... well I don't tube on my phone anyway, I rarely tube at all. but I'm sure the webpage works fine.

Regarding youtube, I can access it from browser but the video quality is very poor even if I enable HQ mode.

• Sygic Navigation is missing.
  • Most A-Lister games are missing.
  • The notification centre buttons are not toggles but just mere shortcuts.
  • Settings menu is even more bloated with no logic on placement of options. It needs categories.
  • Still no way to skip to any position of a music track. Keep that fast forward button pressed till eternity.

Yeah, weird, probably a bug related to firmware or something?   What phones do you guys have?  I have a HTC 8X.

I just checked mine and I only have the two options the others are seeing. I have a Lumia 1520 on AT&T.

Here Maps are useless when it comes to the names of road. If the name is not in the database, it makes up its own name. For example, the area name is Nerul and the actual name of the road is D'Mello Road, Here Maps has name "Nerul Road". Most of the roads are named Nerul Road and it is not even funny. Nearby area is called Dadar. So most of the roads there have name "Dadar West Road."

So using Navigation is useless. Even Apple Maps has correct road names.

Here is how Here Maps compares to Google Maps

Here Maps

zR38BiM.jpg

Google Maps

4z2KhEM.jpg

Don't worry, as soon as the Facebook/Twitter/Any other one app is updated with support for Windows Phone 8.1, it will be back where it was. It's now apps who need to integratie in the OS, not the other way around.

I can't wait!

So does the WiFi stay on still or does it turn off?

It seems to stay on for me, at least on my home wifi. Next time I'm at school I'll have to see if it stays connected to the college's wifi when it's locked.

It wont. Basic Google apps like Maps and Youtube will never be released till this is eats into Google's Android market share.

Few of my apps and games aren't there yet.

Why would you need an app for a website? The mobile YouTube website works just fine.

• The notification centre buttons are not toggles but just mere shortcuts.
what do you mean? I can toggle on/off just fine.

Why would you need an app for a website? The mobile YouTube website works just fine.

Now that you can manually move the video progress bar in IE 11 I'll agree with you. Before 8.1 though an app would have been better.

The wifi button takes you to Wifi settings.

The wifi button does that but others do toggle (bluetooth, screen rotation, etc.).  I think it makes sense for the wifi button to take you in to settings than simply toggle the radio as I'm more likely to want to manage wifi settings than simply turn the radio on and off.

I'm not sure I'd want an extra row on the keyboard which would take up more screen space.  However, I wish they'd add the ability to type numbers by swiping up from the top row similar to the way the Win8.1 keyboard works.

• Like 2

^^ fair point.

Does anyone want an extra numerical row in the keyboard?

I miss it from Android.

you get a numerical row in some circumstances, depends on the input...

Different people have different needs from phones.  Every phone has its pros and cons that are individual to that person.  It really sounds like Windows Phone is not for you, sanke1.  Might as well just go back to Android.

Everything running smoothly for me, except Internet Sharing (where my devices cannot stay connected for more than just a few minutes unless I'm actively using them) I also wish that MS would introduce the ability to see past calls duration, I miss this from previous phones I have had.