• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows Phone 8.1 Thread

WP 8.1 Survey  

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dashel    542

I really hope they can fix the hubs, I didn't want an 'app' for that.

Studio384    1,452

Ha, they fixed the Games hub. :)

George P    5,488

Yeah, lots of people want the option to have the game "hub" (it's more like an app now) to show games and not in the app list though, and I agree with them on that one.

It also needs other things to, there doesn't seem to be any XB1 support for it?  Anyways, I hope they move quick on it and all the other parts/apps as far as frequent updates.

SierraSonic    583

Did they? I just updated and clearly still see all my games in the apps list.

Stokkolm    336

Did they? I just updated and clearly still see all my games in the apps list.

The games are listed in the app list and the games hub now.

Stoffel    1,811

I'm still annoyed that I see all my FB contacts with phone numbers in my phonebook

Why would I want that?  

• Like 1

Stokkolm    336

I'm still annoyed that I see all my FB contacts with phone numbers in my phonebook

Why would I want that?  

It's pretty easy to hide them. Go to the people hub -> settings -> filter contact list. Uncheck Facebook.

Stoffel    1,811

It's pretty easy to hide them. Go to the people hub -> settings -> filter contact list. Uncheck Facebook.

If it only was that simple.

It removes them from the people app, sadly enough not from the phonebook itself.

Buendia    33

It removes them from the people app, sadly enough not from the phonebook itself.

What do you mean by phonebook? I know about people app which I use as phonebook where my contacts are listed. What else?

Stokkolm    336

Edit: You're right, they're still there in the phonebook.

• Like 1

Ironman273    1,095

Did they remove the ability to place a cursor in text?  You used to be able to press and hold to get an I cursor that you could then drag and place between text.  I don't get anything when I press and hold anymore.

jakem1    1,610

Did they remove the ability to place a cursor in text?  You used to be able to press and hold to get an I cursor that you could then drag and place between text.  I don't get anything when I press and hold anymore.

They've changed the way it works so it's like Windows 8.  You still tap and hold but now you get a cursor with a circle under it.  You can drag that circle around to move your cursor to the right location.

Ian S.    758

They've changed the way it works so it's like Windows 8.  You still tap and hold but now you get a cursor with a circle under it.  You can drag that circle around to move your cursor to the right location.

That is very annoying as your finger blocks the text field.

Dot Matrix    7,436

I just noticed you can invoke the notification center on the lock screen, possibly exposing your notifications to outside parties. :/

SierraSonic    583

The games are listed in the app list and the games hub now.

I know, I thought it was fixed, but those pesky games are still showing in apps list.

I absolutely have no need for just the games hub if my games are listed in the apps list. I may as well uninstall it (if possible).

Kyang    112

I just noticed you can invoke the notification center on the lock screen, possibly exposing your notifications to outside parties. :/

You can disable notifications in the Action Center from being shown on the lock screen.

However, the toggles will still be available.

Ironman273    1,095

That is very annoying as your finger blocks the text field.

I agree.  The old way had the I cursor far enough away that it could easily be placed where I needed it.  At best I cover half the words when I'm selecting and after testing it out a little I keep going to a second line of text if I try to lower my finger enough to see the text.

elenarie    830

It is still way too slow to open up and load everything.

Kyang    112

I agree.  The old way had the I cursor far enough away that it could easily be placed where I needed it.  At best I cover half the words when I'm selecting and after testing it out a little I keep going to a second line of text if I try to lower my finger enough to see the text.

After a minute or so of fiddling, I learned that when I grab the little white circle handle, I can have my finger as far down as the second line of text, while keeping the cursor/carot on the line above, where I want it.  I don't know if that's still the case for someone with larger fingers.

elenarie    830

You can disable notifications in the Action Center from being shown on the lock screen.

However, the toggles will still be available.

Thanks for that! (y)

wv@gt    2,541

I hope the Facebook API gets some work done, so far the removal of integration has been an annoyance.

If I want to do a quick status update, it now has to load the app up which takes a bit longer than the old way.

If I want to share a photo to Facebook it loads the app up. On top of that sharing of photos on facebook will be cancelled if the screen times out. The old way didn't do this.

I also liked having a unified message center, now I need a separate app

Then there is the calendar/events from Facebook. I can see what events I have from Facebook, but if I want to check the event info or attendees, it launches the app, which then won't show all of this info or at least the attendees. I also could before pull up address info from the built in calendar info, now I can't. 

Everything that has to do do with the de integration of Facebook has gone against the whole concept of the hubs. If they continue with this new route, the facebook app is going to need a lot of work. 

Stoffel    1,811

What do you mean by phonebook? I know about people app which I use as phonebook where my contacts are listed. What else?

The little phonebook icon when you use the phone app. It gives you a different list of people then the people app does. Even when you select not to see your FB contacts, they will be still visible in the phonebook

Edit: You're right, they're still there in the phonebook.

This must be a bug right? I can't believe this is by design?

typu    46

sorry if i hit a nerve here - but is there any chance that the standard animation gets changed? i mean that "book page turning flying in/out" animation. im really not a fan of animations. not in powerpoint and definately not in a smartphone that i use constantly. its a big no-go for me. how can you like that? animation overkill imo.

its long ago i had a windows phone but how is google integration going? mail/contacts/calendar - how well does that work now with 8.1?

George P    5,488

I did, it's working fine so far for me though I wasn't using the twitter app before this on 8.0, I was using Rowi before.