Windows Phone 8.1 Thread

WP 8.1 Survey  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied overall with the update?

• Yes
    • No give me more features
    • No, undo the changes
    • Don't own a Windows Phone
  2. 2. Will this update make you share Windows Phone more?

• Yes
    • No. I have always been spreading the word
    • No not yet, maybe the next update
    • I don't know

I get you, I hope there is a messaging integration again. It was one of the features which I loved when I first got my 920. I always pop about between SMS, FB and Skype so having it all in one place was a godsend.

My contacts don't show up in Skype from FB. I downloaded the official messenger when it was released because I have a lot of group chats which the messaging app couldn't do. I uninstalled it because I still preferred the messaging integration and chatting in group chats by the FB app. 

Am cry.

cry-about-it-lol.gif

Problem with the integrated app was that I could easily end up sending messages to FB when I was supposed to send on SMS and then the person was't home and didn't have FB access on their phone and they wouldn't get the message. and I could send pictures as FB messages. 

nope i don't have it thanks anyway

I think "Battery Saver" is "Battery Sense". People are just referring to one as another. Background tasks have been moved to "Batter Saver" now and you can also see how much battery each and every app has been using in your phone.

Problem with the integrated app was that I could easily end up sending messages to FB when I was supposed to send on SMS and then the person was't home and didn't have FB access on their phone and they wouldn't get the message. and I could send pictures as FB messages. 

For me, it always sent via the medium which you last received on which is the best implementation for me. I never could send pictures through facbook on the messaging app, the attachment icon simply wasn't there.

I think "Battery Saver" is "Battery Sense". People are just referring to one as another. Background tasks have been moved to "Batter Saver" now and you can also see how much battery each and every app has been using in your phone.

Got to say, this feature is fabulous. Way and beyond anything else I've used.

For me, it always sent via the medium which you last received on which is the best implementation for me. I never could send pictures through facbook on the messaging app, the attachment icon simply wasn't there.

Untill someone sends you an FB message before they leave on a trip and you reply and they don't get it. 

or any other time you reply to someone with something that should be sms and the last time they sent you something it was an FB message. It was a cool feature, but it didn't work as great as it was cool.  for all practical purposes different protocols are better suited to be in different apps. 

Why would podcasts being downloaded by the app show up in the store though?    There's no universal system wide download manager, I don't even know if 8.0 had anything like that either. 

The feeling I get is because the messaging app will be replaced by Skype in the end.  It's not there yet but I remember something about the new Skype app for 8.1 being able to take over as the default messaging app.

Up until 8.0, podcasts were grouped in store and used to show up in the store queue (iirc)

Untill someone sends you an FB message before they leave on a trip and you reply and they don't get it. 

or any other time you reply to someone with something that should be sms and the last time they sent you something it was an FB message. It was a cool feature, but it didn't work as great as it was cool.  for all practical purposes different protocols are better suited to be in different apps. 

I never had any delivery problems regarding the FB integration, the only thing for me was when the phone was in battery saver it wasn't possible to send/receive over FB. 

In all fairness though, it was quite blatant to see considering if you returned to a conversation the last message would have "Facebook" written on-top of it.

It seems that universal apps are not really "universal". Games, for example, leave two entries in your account even if they are marked as "universal". Sigh.

Just take a look at how Valve have done it with Steam. You don't own X game Y times with each entry appearing as a separate game for every platform that it is available on. You just own X game and regardless of the platform you play on, the experience both client-side and server-side is consistent.

Anyone know how to leave feedback on the developer preview? Definitely not a fan of the removal of facebook chat from the message hub, I don't want to have to download Facebook messenger to do something I was able to do just fine and easier before

It seems that universal apps are not really "universal". Games, for example, leave two entries in your account even if they are marked as "universal". Sigh.

Just take a look at how Valve have done it with Steam. You don't own X game Y times with each entry appearing as a separate game for every platform that it is available on. You just own X game and regardless of the platform you play on, the experience both client-side and server-side is consistent.

I wish I didn't need these mac versions of gta... :P

My biggest problem with the update is that you can't chose to guide games in the game hub. I wish you could do it in windows also.

I never had any delivery problems regarding the FB integration, the only thing for me was when the phone was in battery saver it wasn't possible to send/receive over FB. 

In all fairness though, it was quite blatant to see considering if you returned to a conversation the last message would have "Facebook" written on-top of it.

Actually as I recall the messages would be somethign like 

-Facebook

:message 1

:message 2

Reply 1:

:message 3

Reply 2

:message 4

at this point the facebook part has long since scrolled past the top part of the screen. though since I've upgraded I can't check if this was how it was, but I remember it being something like this or not being that easily to casually see you're in facebook mode when you're just quickly replying. 

Burst mode works great, but I would like to see the addition of a slow-mo lens the next time around.

Actually as I recall the messages would be somethign like 

-Facebook

:message 1

:message 2

Reply 1:

:message 3

Reply 2

:message 4

at this point the facebook part has long since scrolled past the top part of the screen. though since I've upgraded I can't check if this was how it was, but I remember it being something like this or not being that easily to casually see you're in facebook mode when you're just quickly replying. 

I think that's more of a user error.

If you received a message the reply was always in the medium it was received in. i.e. If you received an SMS message the reply would be an SMS, if you received a FB message, the reply would be through FB.

If you create a new message to someone you type their name in and you have the option of choosing a phone number to "text" or their "Facebook" contact to send the message through the relevant medium.

The issue you describe might occur if you navigate through the threads and reply that way which would be a smaller use case since it's a slower method of messaging than composing a new message from the "new message" button.

I think that's more of a user error.

If you received a message the reply was always in the medium it was received in. i.e. If you received an SMS message the reply would be an SMS, if you received a FB message, the reply would be through FB.

If you create a new message to someone you type their name in and you have the option of choosing a phone number to "text" or their "Facebook" contact to send the message through the relevant medium.

The issue you describe might occur if you navigate through the threads and reply that way which would be a smaller use case since it's a slower method of messaging than composing a new message from the "new message" button.

I only use the new thread button if I don't have a thread going already. It's a lot faster for me to just scroll through and select the person I'm trying to message from the list of already sent messages. Generally if I'm texting someone they are towards the top of the thread list for me, hence why I almost always use that route.

Got a Lumia 1320 For ? 22,000. ( $364 or ?217 )

Traded in my Lumia 520 which netted me ? 4,000.

Effective price ? 18,000.

Although the reviews are trashing the 720p screen, I find it to be decent. Boy oh boy the screen size 6" is seriously monstrous. Dwarfs my LG G2.

But the app eco system sucks man!!! :(

So it will remain my backup phone to be used mostly for surfing web.

But the app eco system sucks man!!! :(

Hopefully the app ecosystem will get better now with Universal Apps, every dev knew there was still changes to come and it appears Universal Apps WinRT Api is the way forward.

Hopefully the app ecosystem will get better now with Universal Apps, every dev knew there was still changes to come and it appears Universal Apps WinRT Api is the way forward.

It wont. Basic Google apps like Maps and Youtube will never be released till this is eats into Google's Android market share.

Few of my apps and games aren't there yet.

It wont. Basic Google apps like Maps and Youtube will never be released till this is eats into Google's Android market share.

I've found Here Drive+ to be quite nice and toib/Metrotube to be great Youtube applications.

Google released their Windows Phone API a few weeks ago. Official apps for their services are on the way.

Here's the story: http://m.wpcentral.com/google-releases-official-apis-windows-phone-developers

Anyone know where the setting went to keep WiFi enabled even when the screen times out? It used to be something like Settings -> WiFi -> Advanced, however I cannot seem to find it. Only reason I use this is because it causes issues with WiFi Calling when it disconnects from my WiFi on the lock screen. :|

How do you use "Project my screen" using a USB cable (Lumia 920 here)? I read somewhere that I need an app on the PC but no details about the said app.

How do you use "Project my screen" using a USB cable (Lumia 920 here)? I read somewhere that I need an app on the PC but no details about the said app.

The app is not yet released by MS.

Anyone know where the setting went to keep WiFi enabled even when the screen times out? It used to be something like Settings -> WiFi -> Advanced, however I cannot seem to find it. Only reason I use this is because it causes issues with WiFi Calling when it disconnects from my WiFi on the lock screen. :|

I can't find it either and didn't even notice it was missing. Good find.

However, my phone keeps wifi always connected even when locked, which is the behaviour I want but it seems that now there is no way to change it.

I see it in Settings - Wifi - hit the manage button and there it is, 2nd choice under automatically connect to wifi hotspots.