Windows Phone 8.1 Thread

WP 8.1 Survey  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied overall with the update?

• Yes
    • No give me more features
    • No, undo the changes
    • Don't own a Windows Phone
  2. 2. Will this update make you share Windows Phone more?

• Yes
    • No. I have always been spreading the word
    • No not yet, maybe the next update
    • I don't know

Maybe they're not synced and the phone book can't be filtered so it just shows everyone with a phone number (like a real phone book)?  I never used the phone book, I'd always hit the people hub and then call through that actually.

What's the version number you have now?

They used to sync in WP8.0 I never saw all these other people in my phonebook

Hope they fix this.

The wireless reception seems to have degraded since installing this on my 920 and there is this delay present when re-entering a txt conversation. Other than these problems, everything is running smoothly.

My Games hub doesn't work at all after it just updated. It opens but under collection it just shows "Can't open. Try again later." after loading.

Mind updated as well and now I also don't get a listing, weird.

You guys can keep giving them feedback though, they are listening.

What's the best way to do this?

Collection is working in my Games hub (2.0.1404.11000), but I'm getting that "Couldn't open that. Try again." error for the spotlight. Must be a store glitch.

I?ve installed WP 8.1 OS on my 720? Now mobile performance is really worst..
It takes much time to get photos loaded.. There r many drawbacks.. Many apps r not opening at all..
Battery life has been dropped drastically.

Now how can I improve my lumia performance ?? :( 
plzzzzzzzzzz give me reply :( :( :(

I see. That looks like more of a feature request site than a feedback one. I wanted to report the audio glitches I'm getting.

Doesn't stop you from posted a request to fix media playback problems.  Not all the posts are for new features, there are those that are to fix problems from what I remember.

Maybe they're not synced and the phone book can't be filtered so it just shows everyone with a phone number (like a real phone book)?  I never used the phone book, I'd always hit the people hub and then call through that actually.

What's the version number you have now?

It's version 2.0.1404.11000, through it doesn't load the games list anymore, either.Just like Niels said.

I?ve installed WP 8.1 OS on my 720? Now mobile performance is really worst..

It takes much time to get photos loaded.. There r many drawbacks.. Many apps r not opening at all..

Battery life has been dropped drastically.

Now how can I improve my lumia performance ?? :( 

plzzzzzzzzzz give me reply :( :( :(

try to do a hard reset. settings->about->reset phone. make sure you backup your stuff like settings,photos,sms,etc.. in settings->backup so you can restore them back, because this will erase everything.

My Game Hub is Version 2.0.1403.26000 and its still useless now that the games can be found in the normal app area. i have uninstalled a few games just because i dont want to look at the icons lol.

• Like 1

So I updated my L520 to WP8.1 but now when I look into my phonebook, I have every single contact in there with a phone nr, even the people from FB.

I checked the people app and there it says i'm excluding FB.

If I check the people app it shows the proper list. Shouldn't the phonebook and people app sync?

So my question is how do I get all these FB people with a listed phonenr out of my phonebook?

Anybody else noticed this?

Have you installed the latest facebook app? the 8.1 version came out this morning, it should be version 8.1.X

Have you installed the latest facebook app? the 8.1 version came out this morning, it should be version 8.1.X

Yup, I have the latest version 8.1.4.4

The problem lies in the phonebook, that's where I see all my FB contacts with a phone. I don't want them there

In the People app, they don't show up. I would hope the people app and the phonebook would sync

My Game Hub is Version 2.0.1403.26000 and its still useless now that the games can be found in the normal app area. i have uninstalled a few games just because i dont want to look at the icons lol.

Yeah what's up with this? Why on EARTH did the kill the game hub?! It was a perfectly functioning, logical grouping, of a million apps. If you wanted a game...you would go into the game hub; pretty simple to me!

I think the new head of mobile has flown a little off the handle with this update.

• Like 1

They have completely undone the paradigm that was Windows Phone. So no longer can we go "in, out, back to life". Instead we're stuck in a world of apps, unable to do things efficiently like we used to. Great so we get notifications, but why oh why remove the ability to easily message from the messaging hub and switch between message services, or screw over xbox/games (I've actually now lost all my list of games in the games 'hub' even though I have many installed).

And now I'm finding it even more difficult just to share a photo.

Oh Microsoft. Always one step ahead, always two steps back.

• Like 2

They have completely undone the paradigm that was Windows Phone. So no longer can we go "in, out, back to life". Instead we're stuck in a world of apps, unable to do things efficiently like we used to. Great so we get notifications, but why oh why remove the ability to easily message from the messaging hub and switch between message services, or screw over xbox/games (I've actually now lost all my list of games in the games 'hub' even though I have many installed).

And now I'm finding it even more difficult just to share a photo.

Oh Microsoft. Always one step ahead, always two steps back.

We already know that the Xbox team makes horrible apps (music,videos, smartglass) for both WP and Windows. There is an update coming soon, though.

http://www.wpcentral.com/xbox-music-awful-windows-phone-81-update-near

is there a place that shows all queued downloads? All my app updates in store were pending and I couldn't figure out why until I opened Podcasts app and noticed it was downloading my subscirptions.

:crazy: It was so much easier - store would show everything!!

Why did you remove the FB integration out of messaging MS? WHY DID YOU? YOU SHOULD OF INTEGRATED MORE WITH GROUP CHATS AND PICTURE ABILITY. /rant

This really annoyed me, I loved receiving and chatting with friends like they were texts. It was easy, everything was in one place.

is there a place that shows all queued downloads? All my app updates in store were pending and I couldn't figure out why until I opened Podcasts app and noticed it was downloading my subscirptions.

:crazy: It was so much easier - store would show everything!!

Why would podcasts being downloaded by the app show up in the store though?    There's no universal system wide download manager, I don't even know if 8.0 had anything like that either. 

Why did you remove the FB integration out of messaging MS? WHY DID YOU? YOU SHOULD OF INTEGRATED MORE WITH GROUP CHATS AND PICTURE ABILITY. /rant

This really annoyed me, I loved receiving and chatting with friends like they were texts. It was easy, everything was in one place.

The feeling I get is because the messaging app will be replaced by Skype in the end.  It's not there yet but I remember something about the new Skype app for 8.1 being able to take over as the default messaging app.

The feeling I get is because the messaging app will be replaced by Skype in the end.  It's not there yet but I remember something about the new Skype app for 8.1 being able to take over as the default messaging app.

If this does replace messaging and I have correct integration with chat within all the services I'll be happy. To me, it feels like they're removing the integration and doing it through separate apps. With the people changes etc.

If this does replace messaging and I have correct integration with chat within all the services I'll be happy. To me, it feels like they're removing the integration and doing it through separate apps. With the people changes etc.

They are for the most part but that's also the reality we're in, most people think app centric and the hubs were always behind when it came to features because they're part of the OS.   When they're apps they can be updated without issue and the carriers don't get in the way.   There should be APIs to allow you to integrate things back into the hubs from the apps, so the app passes the info to the hub etc.  But if there was something like that would developers even bother to use it or would they just want you to use their app? 

Do your facebook contacts show up in Skype if you login with a Microsoft account?   I never bothered to check.

*edit*  Speak of the devil, I just got a update for Skype, going to check it out now. Version is 2.16.0.274

Ok, seems like just a minor update, probably just switched over to using the new WP 8.1 notification APIs etc.  I still expect a bigger update on the way, maybe 3.0.

They are for the most part but that's also the reality we're in, most people think app centric and the hubs were always behind when it came to features because they're part of the OS.   When they're apps they can be updated without issue and the carriers don't get in the way.   There should be APIs to allow you to integrate things back into the hubs from the apps, so the app passes the info to the hub etc.  But if there was something like that would developers even bother to use it or would they just want you to use their app? 

Do your facebook contacts show up in Skype if you login with a Microsoft account?   I never bothered to check.

*edit*  Speak of the devil, I just got a update for Skype, going to check it out now. Version is 2.16.0.274

I get you, I hope there is a messaging integration again. It was one of the features which I loved when I first got my 920. I always pop about between SMS, FB and Skype so having it all in one place was a godsend.

My contacts don't show up in Skype from FB. I downloaded the official messenger when it was released because I have a lot of group chats which the messaging app couldn't do. I uninstalled it because I still preferred the messaging integration and chatting in group chats by the FB app. 

Am cry.

cry-about-it-lol.gif

Don't worry, as soon as the Facebook/Twitter/Any other one app is updated with support for Windows Phone 8.1, it will be back where it was. It's now apps who need to integratie in the OS, not the other way around.