Windows Phone 8.1 Thread

WP 8.1 Survey  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied overall with the update?

• Yes
    • No give me more features
    • No, undo the changes
    • Don't own a Windows Phone
  2. 2. Will this update make you share Windows Phone more?

• Yes
    • No. I have always been spreading the word
    • No not yet, maybe the next update
    • I don't know

store sometimes works sometimes doesn't even load "can't connect: we're having trouble connecting to the store right now " :/

How do you turn on the Battery Sense live tile? Also, I can't see background tasks in Battery Saver. Can anyone else?

Background tasks are incorporated into Battery Sense.

Off topic: I can't get to work syncing of start screen color between WP8.1 and Windows 8 even though I use the same hotmail account. Anyone else?

Offline map data updated http://www.wpcentral.com/offline-maps-updated-windows-phone

"Along with all the excited in the air today about the release of the Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers, many will also see an update to Nokia?s Offline Maps.

Our tipster is seeing updates for the entire U.S. map collection and we?ve been able to confirm updates for New York. It does appear that the updates are for devices running Windows Phone 8.1. My Lumia 1020 is still running Windows Phone 8 and no updates are in sight.

Offline maps are used for the HERE services and helps reduce your dependency on a data connection while traveling. You can choose maps by State, Country or Region. The process is simple to check for offline map updates and is as follows.

• Go to your Windows Phone Settings
  • Swipe over to the Applications Page
  • Scroll Down to Maps
  • Tap the ?Check for Updates? button

Should updates be available, you will be given the option to install the updates now or wait until a better time to do so."

jakem1, on 14 Apr 2014 - 21:15, said:jakem1, on 14 Apr 2014 - 21:15, said:

How do you turn on the Battery Sense live tile? Also, I can't see background tasks in Battery Saver. Can anyone else?

background tasks = usage, press any app from usage and you can allow or disallow to run in the background

I can't find battery sense

The store was working for me, it updated apps automatically for me and I also managed to get the new FAcebook app fine but now it's not loading any lists.  I'm thinking they're having some server side problems at the moment.

*edit*

http://www.wpcentral.com/service-alert-windows-phone-store-down?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

MS knows about the issue, so it's server side, not due to updating to 8.1.  They'll work it out in time, just have to wait.

I do like that they have finally integrated a better social sharing hub into the ME hub. Hopefully more networks besides, twitter, facebook, and linkedin will be added in to share stuff like instagram

background tasks = usage, press any app from usage and you can allow or disallow to run in the background

I can't find battery sense

Ah, thanks. Battery Sense is in the apps list.

I noticed under Cortana setup, the Tech option from news headlines is missing.

I do like that they have finally integrated a better social sharing hub into the ME hub. Hopefully more networks besides, twitter, facebook, and linkedin will be added in to share stuff like instagram

It's kind of up to the networks since it's now API driven so any network can write and app to plug in.

I noticed under Cortana setup, the Tech option from news headlines is missing.

go to interests - then ADD - news - tech headlines

So, the screenshot capture combo needed changed... For reasons?

Also, anyone else here just not getting the hang of the new swipe feature on the keyboard? I've never understood this concept before, and I still don't now.

So, the screenshot capture combo needed changed... For reasons?

Also, anyone else here just not getting the hang of the new swipe feature on the keyboard? I've never understood this concept before, and I still don't now.

As to the screenshot combo, it didn't need changing, however for constancy they matched it to Windows 8.1's combo

finally they reduced the space between tiles and top bar

I didn't notice this until you said it.   It's the little things really that add up.

No Battery Sense here on my 520. Only Batter Saver.

Also, muting takes a bit more work now. It used to be there when you hit the volume button. Now you have to expand the volumes dropdown and tap on the ringer icon to mute.

My battery life has been destroyed from this update. But I guess it'll get better since Cortana was just learning about me today, and that was probably the reason.

come on she absorbed the entire internet. it might eat up some battery.

I have noticed since the update i am going to have to turn off some background processes because on a full charge after the update it is dropping faster than normal, and i really have not done much playing around yet.

No Battery Sense here on my 520. Only Batter Saver.

Also, muting takes a bit more work now. It used to be there when you hit the volume button. Now you have to expand the volumes dropdown and tap on the ringer icon to mute.

Lumia 928 does not have battery Sense either. I am starting to wonder if it was included on the update.

Well, looks like you can no longer simultaneously post to Twitter and Facebook via the "Me" tile. :/

Well, looks like you can no longer simultaneously post to Twitter and Facebook via the "Me" tile. :/

that sucks, i use that all the time.

I miss the days of using Tweetdeck to post on both at the same time.

As cool as it was the fact is that the hubs never worked out like MS wanted.  People are already set in their app centric world, so now the hubs have APIs that any app can connect to, so doing an action like posting to FB or twitter will bring up those apps directly.   Just the way the market has went.

As cool as it was the fact is that the hubs never worked out like MS wanted.  People are already set in their app centric world, so now the hubs have APIs that any app can connect to, so doing an action like posting to FB or twitter will bring up those apps directly.   Just the way the market has went.

Well I like the fact that Apps can talk between each other now thanks to those API's so you can use the FB app to sign into other apps and services with FB account like iOS. 

It also opens for all services to use the HUBs rather than the few MS can spend resources incorporating. 

you could argue it would be best if they kept the few "biggest" ones, and instead let the API's override the built in function, but it kind of overcomplicates it.