• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows Phone 8.1 Thread

WP 8.1 Survey  

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

JonnyLH    342

Nah...just tried.

It wants 8.0.10322.71 or higher...which my phone doesn't have.

Are you on the preview program? It should update your phone to whatever is needed. All 8.* versions are supported.

HawkMan    5,232

They're also allowing apps to talk to each other like iOS now. So that apps that use Facebook login, can simple use the Facebook app with an ok button instead of their own Facebook login

I don't know why but that's how it is for now,  Quiet hours works with Inner Circle which works with Cortana.  They'll probably break them off and deliver them to use without needing Cortana I expect.   For now, we're still talking about a preview here, I expect updates to this build as we get closer to the release of new phones as well.

Are you sure they're tied to cortana, when I search for quiet hours they only talk about it as an app. And I can't use the App Store right now. Keeps coming up as not available.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/quiet-hours/f347a36b-80c0-430f-8631-e55046ee5a2a?signin=true

Should be there, whenever the store is back up. Though that's the us store link...

• Like 1

George P    5,436

They're also allowing apps to talk to each other like iOS now. So that apps that use Facebook login, can simple use the Facebook app with an ok button instead of their own Facebook login

Are you sure they're tied to cortana, when I search for quiet hours they only talk about it as an app. And I can't use the App Store right now. Keeps coming up as not available.

http://wmpoweruser.com/joe-belfiore-confirms-quiet-hours-and-inner-circle-tied-to-cortana/

Joe said so himself. 

As far as the store not coming up, did you change your locale to the US?  That happens when you have a different region/locale set on the phone from what your Microsoft Account is, you lose access to the store and also services like XBL.  One of the reasons why I haven't changed mine at this point, as nice as Cortana is to have I'd rather just wait for them to release it in my region officially.  At least that way I can probably talk to it in my local language and not just US English.

Sandor    436

Are you on the preview program? It should update your phone to whatever is needed. All 8.* versions are supported.

Yep. When I open the app on the phone it says I need an update and to go to Settings > Phone Update.

When I go there and check it says my phone is up to date...but it's on that old version. Probably my carrier being lame.

HawkMan    5,232

http://wmpoweruser.com/joe-belfiore-confirms-quiet-hours-and-inner-circle-tied-to-cortana/

Joe said so himself. 

As far as the store not coming up, did you change your locale to the US?  That happens when you have a different region/locale set on the phone from what your Microsoft Account is, you lose access to the store and also services like XBL.  One of the reasons why I haven't changed mine at this point, as nice as Cortana is to have I'd rather just wait for them to release it in my region officially.  At least that way I can probably talk to it in my local language and not just US English.

No my phone is set to Norway with English language.

Geoffrey B.    1,415

QR scanning is nowhere to be found now :( used to be in the search menu but with cortana its missing entirely :(

wv@gt    2,469

Anyone know how to install the custom lock screens?

+primortal    11,752

QR scanning is nowhere to be found now :( used to be in the search menu but with cortana its missing entirely :(

They made it harder to use,  go to Camera > Lenses > Bing Vision

• Like 2

George P    5,436

No my phone is set to Norway with English language.

Oh, some other issue then, anyways, first part holds true, need Cortana as those are probably all part of the same "app" at this point.

George P    5,436

Anyone know how to install the custom lock screens?

You mean the ones they showed off at build?  Those aren't out yet and not in this preview, we'll have to wait for them.

HawkMan    5,232

Well I changed to US region just for quiet hours. We'll see if the store works later when.. The store is back up.

Ian S.    758

@joebelfiore said that FB integration is still present.

psreloaded    66

Is the store failing for any of you guys? i cant access the store after the update...

HawkMan    5,232

Yeah, store seems to be down for the moment.

Mohitster    86

Store has been down for me for like last two hours now .. does anyone know if it could be related to us changing our region and language to US?

elenarie    830

Sigh... Settings menu became even more bloated. :/

Ian S.    758

Store has been down for me for like last two hours now .. does anyone know if it could be related to us changing our region and language to US?

I left my first phone at home, right now I am trying to upgrade my other phone to 8.1, it currently has 8 and I am in the US, and the store is working. I will post back when it is done.

protocol7    545

The only change that's thrown me so far is in the Music app. I used to be able to go into Songs and there was a play button at the bottom to start playing through them.

Now there isn't one and I have to pick a song to get started (I usually just shuffle through all the songs on the phone rather than play full albums).

That and the Music and Games tiles no longer animate or show my avatar.

Grinch    188

Can't seem to get the VPN feature to work with a non-default VPN port. (example 0.0.0.0:0000 style address) :(

HawkMan    5,232

It was down before I changed, so no.

SierraSonic    583

Pros: everything added!

Cons:

- Games now listed with apps, no option to revert, opening games is pointless and now has a delay as it searches for games upon opening. Might as well remove the live tile and never use this app again.

- No flashlight quick button/camera hold shortcut, or options for custom actions.

- Search and camera buttons still do the same thing for a press or hold, one would expect Bing to open on a click and cortana to open on a hold, same with the camera clicking with open in picture mode, holding would open in video mode or enable a flashlight, all settings being user selectable.

- Still have download limits, no option to select how often live tiles update, other usual problems with WP.

George P    5,436

Pros: everything added!

Cons:

- Games now listed with apps, no option to revert, opening games is pointless and now has a delay as it searches for games upon opening. Might as well remove the live tile and never use this app again.

- No flashlight quick button/camera hold shortcut, or options for custom actions.

- Search and camera buttons still do the same thing for a press or hold, one would expect Bing to open on a click and cortana to open on a hold, same with the camera clicking with open in picture mode, holding would open in video mode or enable a flashlight, all settings being user selectable.

- Still have download limits, no option to select how often live tiles update, other usual problems with WP.

How often live tiles update is up to a developer to work out or give you the option to set.   There's nothing in the OS that stops it, it's just not a OS level option.

SierraSonic    583

How often live tiles update is up to a developer to work out or give you the option to set.   There's nothing in the OS that stops it, it's just not a OS level option.

Wasn't it set to a strict 30 minute delay or something before 8.1?

George P    5,436

Wasn't it set to a strict 30 minute delay or something before 8.1?

We're talking 8.1 right?  8.1 lets the developer update the live tile as often as they want within a 30min "resource window" which basically means that if your app hits a limit and uses up the resources/time it's been given it has to wait for them to refill which happens every 30mins now in 8.1.  But as far as live tiles go, they can update every minute, don't know if they can update quicker but 1 min is what I remember.    I'll have to hunt down some more build session videos but as far as tile updates and even new background tasks/background triggers, there's no pre-set time, the only preset time is how often the resource pool (that's how I remember them calling it) fills up, which is every 30mins.