Microsoft to block Classic Shell in Windows 10: here is why

This is utterly inconsistent with the observation that they are releasing preview builds and updates to testers, and are soliciting feedback.

Not really by blocking an inocuous little app at classic shell. then the real proof will be the day of RTM if they still block it.

these previews aren't just meant to test the system out as a whole but test out how your software works with it. hence why they suggest you use a NON production system for testing. Then give feedback.

it isn't that hard to see.

Edited by chrisj1968

Not really by blocking an inocuous little app at classic shell. then the real proof will be the day of RTM if they still block it.

these previews aren't just meant to test the system out as a whole but test out how your software works with it. hence why they suggest you use a NON production system for testing. Then give feedback.

Well as you say it's to test the system.. it's kind of hard to test the new stuff when you intentionally disable it, defeats the entire point of these test builds.. they're not testing third party software, that'll be more in line with the consumer previews next year.   And yhy on earth would you even think they'd block anything when it goes RTM?  That's just absurd, never mind most likely impossible.

• Like 2

Well as you say it's to test the system.. it's kind of hard to test the new stuff when you intentionally disable it, defeats the entire point of these test builds.. they're not testing third party software, that'll be more in line with the consumer previews next year.   And yhy on earth would you even think they'd block anything when it goes RTM?  That's just absurd, never mind most likely impossible.

In all seriousness, what about the classic shell developer trying to learn the ins and outs of 10? as if you and I were developing an APP for 10 to see if it will still work as it did in Win8/8.1

Except that this is a PREVIEW. MS needs people to report bugs, report suggestions, report complaints. Not to install third party shells and go "sweet I'm going to use this as my daily OS."

But if people are installing a third party shell... then shouldn't MS look at WHY they are doing that? Look at what features the 3rd party shell offers that they don't have and implement them?

In all seriousness, what about the classic shell developer trying to learn the ins and outs of 10? as if you and I were developing an APP for 10 to see if it will still work as it did in Win8/8.1

Wait for the preview builds? Right now is the absolutely worst time to be testing that as the OS is going to change a lot between then and now, makes no sense as even if "yay it works" it may totally break with the next update.. it's already changed a good bit and I doubt it's even remotely close to finished.  Even the author says they're not dealing with it till it gets closer to RTM.  Their quote: "At the moment, Windows 10 is changing too much, as such it doesn't make sense to even look into making Classic Shell compatible because it might break again. Classic Shell can be updated after Windows 10 stable/RTM or Release Candidate build is available. Until then, please be patient and do not create new posts in the forum asking about Windows 10 compatibility."

I don't really seeing it being Microsoft's business what software you install or don't install

another round about way to what I said earlier. uber controliert (if my german still is working)

Maybe I'm being ignorant but I thought the whole point of Classic Shell and others were for those who wanted the start menu back - well, the start menu has been bought back so doesn't such a project cease to have a reason for existing?

Maybe I'm being ignorant but I thought the whole point of Classic Shell and others were for those who wanted the start menu back - well, the start menu has been bought back so doesn't such a project cease to have a reason for existing?

Not necessarily.. different people are going to want different things out of it, gives you some flexibility.  I use CS in 7 just so I have some flexibility with what gets pinned on the right side, otherwise it's near identical to the default.  Sorely wish I had it in the XP days, had to rely on something else at the time as I hated XP's menu with a passion.. for me, 10 will probably be the first time that I don't use a start menu replacement since the XP days... waiting to see what the final version feels like.

Why doesn't Microsoft just ask some live people what they want ?

Or pay the Classic Shell devs to include the software in Windows 10 ....

People need to stop trying to make Windows look like Windows 2k.

Why is that ?  Users pay good money for the OS -- they should be able to have it look and feel however they like.

• Like 3

Or pay the Classic Shell devs to include the software in Windows 10 ....

Why is that ?  Users pay good money for the OS -- they should be able to have it look and feel however they like.

Shocking concepts....

The idea of the Windows 10 preview is to test the OS as Microsoft designed it. Not to much it up with 3rd party shell extensions, then complain product X doesn't work on Windows 10.

It's not so difficult to understand, is it?

• Like 3

I don't blame MS for doing so. Of all the Shell replacements, Classic Shell has to be the worst, only because of the developers running it. They've an unhealthy obsession with XP, and they're too focused on what came before, to provide any benefit to potential users with newer or augmented functionality found currently in Windows 7, 8 or 10. In fact, they laughed at the idea of potentially including live tile support. That's not a project I'd support.

The Windows 10 TP was released strictly for feedback purposes, this wasn't a free gift from Microsoft. :/

• Like 3

I don't blame MS for doing so. Of all the Shell replacements, Classic Shell has to be the worst, only because of the developers running it. They've an unhealthy obsession with XP, and they're too focused on what came before, to provide any benefit to potential users with newer or augmented functionality found currently in Windows 7, 8 or 10. In fact, they laughed at the idea of potentially including live tile support. That's not a project I'd support.

The Windows 10 TP was released strictly for feedback purposes, this wasn't a free gift from Microsoft. :/

In that case, I really wouldn't mind if the support for Classic Shell would break like practically after every Windows 10 update. Having support for Live Tiles and access to Windows Store apps is what makes Windows Windows nowadays.

• 3 weeks later...

You are absolutely right. Static icons are so beautiful on the desktop! Also, the size of the tiles! We aren't stupid, we are using mouse to click not fingers to touch. The mouse offers much better precision, so there is no reason for the tiles to be that big. Making them pixel-perfect 1x1 so that sane people can use their mouse to click them since the mouse is so precise would much improve the design, and finally remove the torture that are those damn tiles.

Yet again, Microsoft didn't listen to customers' feedback once again. :rofl:

true, people wanted the old start menu back, not this travesty that they added to windows 10.

People need to stop trying to make Windows look like Windows 2k.

and microsoft making windows look like AOL is better?

AOL-1996-vs.-Microsoft-Windows-8.jpg

have you used windows 10? the new menu is like a bastard child between start menu everyone wants and the new metro crap.

• Like 2

This isn't new, actually. I believe it was during the Win3.1 beta, Microsoft actually had code in place to prevent third-party DOS clones from being able to run Windows. This functionality was disabled by the final release, but Microsoft had to do it in order to test how Windows on DOS (6?) worked at the time.

• Like 2

This post rings true with me. I use Cubic Explorer as my file manager. It features tabs, so I can quickly and easily copy and move files around. I really should be using Microsoft's own file manager. I don't even dislike it; in fact, I'm one of the few who likes the Ribbon (sorry?).

In the defense of myself and others, I think there's a very valid, selfish reason for using the tech preview. Getting used to the new OS before I buy it. And, I'm definitely going to buy it. But, my wife hated it at first, because it looked and acted just a little too much like Windows 8, which she despises (because things aren't where she expects). It's since won her over, and she's told me that Microsoft has improved it over 7, which was to her like the gun you'd have to pry from Charlton Heston's "cold, dead hands." And I'm still learning as well. Though, you're right, I should recognize my due dilligence as a tester and provide feedback on what their parts don't do that I want, rather than just using the tools I want. Won't part me from my Firefox though; but I might drop them a line that IE 11 needs better extension support.

That depends. Will Microsoft implement the top 10 suggestions all the tech blogs latched onto a few weeks ago? There is a ton of feedback. There are some great ideas. I hope they listen to what's there. If they don't, I don't think it's fair to absolve them of everything.

The Start Menu's never been very effective though, to be perfectly honest. In Windows 95 through 7, it's been bogged down with crap and sub level menus that make navigation a nightmare. The live tiles are a good idea, but I don't care for the aesthetic. My solution in the 9x/2k/XP days was to drill the Start Menu down to 4-7 folders, each a type of app. Music, video, games, tools, writing, etc. And then I'd drag the app icons into those and delete the rest. So on my computer, you'd go Start, All Programs, Music, whatever. Or games, whatever. I do the same thing with Android's app drawer (via Nova Launcher). And people say it's confusing! With 10 it's even worse. Some stuff I install doesn't show up at all! And then at the top level of All Programs you have all these stupid (read: metro) apps I'll never use. Alarms? Computer isn't in the bedroom. Camera? My computer does not have one. Bunch of crap I will never use. Not being facetious. Can't remember examples now, but there were a few that literally, not figuratively, made me stop and wonder what the heck I would ever use that for. So, work is needed. Guess that's why it's a tech preview...

I know this has nothing to do with the topic... But my family is from Colerain... Which is about an hour from Greenville...

This isn't new, actually. I believe it was during the Win3.1 beta, Microsoft actually had code in place to prevent third-party DOS clones from being able to run Windows. This functionality was disabled by the final release, but Microsoft had to do it in order to test how Windows on DOS (6?) worked at the time.

The AARD Code.