[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

I've been digging around Windows 10's settings and I found another weird setting enabled by default that could be a big security risk:  Wi-Fi Sense ... basically they are sharing wi-fi passwords with your contacts on Facebook, Skype and Outlook. Apparently this setting is meant to allow these "friends" to easily connect to my network. The big problem here is that they are doing this by default without the user's permission. Also this means that If you give your wifi password to a single trusted friend the old fashion way, his windows 10 machine will share it with everyone of his/her contacts. 

Why in the world did they think I want to share my wi-fi password with everyone? :woot:
Why is this setting enabled by default, hidden under several layers of settings and no mention about this anywhere? :/
Why is Microsoft harvesting Wi-Fi passwords in the first place without the user's permission?v:angry:

This is the 8th or 9th setting related to telemetry/monitoring/privacy invasion I found enabled by default. Time to go back to Windows 7. When people said that free is too god to be true, they were right.

Stop spreading rubbish.

It requires user interaction to share connections.  The ability to do it is the only thing enabled by default.  You have to make the conscious decision to share it out.

Stop spreading rubbish.

It requires user interaction to share connections.  The ability to do it is the only thing enabled by default.  You have to make the conscious decision to share it out.

It's not rubbish.

I tested this with two of my friends. The first one connected to my network the normal way, by typing the password and the second one had received instant access to the network without bothering to enter the password simply because both of them are on eachother's list on Facebook and Wi-Fi sense shared the password.

Please tell me in all this where I made the decision to share the password with the second person. Having this thing enabled by default and not knowing about it is not " conscious decision to share it out"

It's not rubbish.

I tested this with two of my friends. The first one connected to my network the normal way, by typing the password and the second one had received instant access to the network without bothering to enter the password simply because both of them are on eachother's list on Facebook and Wi-Fi sense shared the password.

Please tell me in all this where I made the decision to share the password with the second person. Having this thing enabled by default and not knowing about it is not " conscious decision to share it out"

Uh huh.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/wi-fi-sense-faq

No networks are shared automatically. When you first connect to a network that you decide to share, you'll need to enter the password, and then select the Share network with my contacts check box to share that network.

Notice the decidedly lack of shared networks I have.  You have to SHARE them, and on top of that, enter the key first.

Capture.PNG

Edited by adrynalyne

Can you back that up with an actual test? Copying and pasting from Microsoft's website is one thing while a test done using real machines is another. If the text you pasted says how it should work then this means there is a severe bug with Wi-Fi Sense and Microsoft should fix it ASAP. They shouldn't have released Win10 with this bugged functionality enabled by default in the first place.

Can you back that up with an actual test? Copying and pasting from Microsoft's website is one thing while a test done using real machines is another. If the text you pasted says how it should work then this means there is a severe bug with Wi-Fi Sense and Microsoft should fix it ASAP. They shouldn't have released Win10 with this bugged functionality enabled by default in the first place.

I have.  So have others.  http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-windows-10s-wi-fi-sense-feature-is-not-a-security-risk/

PS- This isn't new to Windows 10.  8.1 Phone had it too.

From that article:

Until or unless you do not offer your Wi-Fi password to Wi-Fi Sense, it will not let selected contact group to connect to your network.

Wait, I have to offer my password to Wifi Sense?  Gee, sounds like a conscious decision to me, not mentioning the fact it required you to click share first. 

What's the difference between INTERNATIONAL English and English? (in Windows 10 Tech Bench's ISOs)

International English ISOs default to English (Great Britan) regional settings.

Can anyone please tell me what is the final build number of Windows 10 that is released on July 29 to public?

EcTvvHn.png

EcTvvHn.png

What does it mean if under your licensed name in winver it also says Microsoft?

I upgraded from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro using the Microsoft tool since I got tired of waiting for my reservation. After running a day or 2 fully activated I did a clean install and now it lists Microsoft under my name also.

Thanks

Edited by kpo6969

I agree that the level of polish isn't there yet but on the other hand, unlike with older versions of windows, we're not going to get a new one 3 years from now, there's a service update (basically more bug fixing) coming this month and another bigger update in the fall, probably October.   After that, the rumors say, June for the first really big redstone update, if true, and it's really a whole new build of the OS with some new stuff, then you can expect even more polish to the UI.

I think by this time next year all the issues will be worked out and the polish to the UI will be there overall.

Upgraded a fresh install of Win7 pro at work to Win10.  Few annoyances....

No RSAT like I mentioned before.   Got a replacement system all ready to go for work and this is the only thing holding me back.  Sucks MS cannot release RSAT with Win10.

No shortcut to IE11 in the start menu?  Or am I missing something?  I had to browse to the program folder and create my own shortcuts.  Sorry MS, a lot of people/companies are not going to Edge anytime soon.

Few lockups, freezes, and explorer.exe restarts.

How many times do I need to select FF As my default browser?  I set it once, tried to open a link in an email and had to set it again, and the another time for clicking on an HTML file.  Previous versions of Windows, set the default browser once and that was it. 

Kind of a pain to have to use the Cleanup program to remove windows.old folder.  Would be nice to just click on the folder and choose delete.

Other than that, no real issues getting the apps and things working at work.

Installed it on mum's computer last night; there is no ability to manually add CalDAV and CardDAV servers unfortunately - I was hoping that there was an option to do so for those of us who don't use one of the 'big four' (Outlook, Exchange, iCloud and Gmail) but there is no way to add it. Something Microsoft needs to address ASAP given that the ground work is already there, all they have to do is implement a UI to make it possible.

Notice when chaging the accent colors, the icons mess up in the start menu. Resizing them back to medium and then back to small fixes the issue, but kind of a PITA.

EDIT:  Resizing the tiles does not fix the issue. Going to try a restart to see if it does.

Untitled.png

Edited by techbeck

Any way to set tablet mode per display? I'm not sure if it's a new feature or not, but scaling seems dependant on the output display, so when I switch from my desktop monitor to my living room TV, I get 200% scaling which is great, but tablet mode feels better on a TV over desktop mode.

Notice when chaging the accent colors, the icons mess up in the start menu. Resizing them back to medium and then back to small fixes the issue, but kind of a PITA.

EDIT:  Resizing the tiles does not fix the issue. Going to try a restart to see if it does.

Untitled.png

Reboot resolved this issue and seemed to be a perm fix.  Changed the colors again and didnt have this problem.

I downgraded to Windows 7, however I am considering the upgrade, since the app popped into my system tray again.  However I am only in line for Windows 10 Home.  Is this even worth the time?

I downgraded to Windows 7, however I am considering the upgrade, since the app popped into my system tray again.  However I am only in line for Windows 10 Home.  Is this even worth the time?

Why would you prefer win 10 pro over home? I bought a cheap win 8.1 pro key to upgrade my 8.1 install to pro before I upgraded to 10 because it's cheaper then a win 10 pro key.

Research the differences between Home and Pro.. and you will likely answer to yourself. "I won't use any of those" so then the answer would be "Yes"

Ok I will give it another look over.  One more question if I may?

I play Elder Scrolls Online a LOT, however on my last trial of Windows 10 Home, I really struggled with getting good fps rates, compared to Windows 7 i was down about 30fps!