[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

Is your computer syncing with another machine that has a custom visual style?

Of course that's it :)

I installed that 'pretty titlebar' theme at work because I don't want insider builds on my work machine. At home I don't have that thing installed.

But this means that somewhere deep down that Win95/98/Me/XP/Vista/7 dialog to modify your visual style is still in there when it looks like this.

Anyway, kinda sad. Apply hacked theme-files, apply cortana-bing-to-google search fix, make own chrome skin, disable loginscreen wallpaper fix, disable OneDrive in explorer fix...

Where are the times that I just installed and started using the out of box experience. It seems Microsoft did everything to prevent me from having a unified boring standard look on my machine.

Edited by rufflow

That's the Aero Classic/Aero Lite theme, it's the standard used on Windows Server, but can be made on any Win8/10 machine. I actually prefer it to a certain extent, but clearly it's not fully optimized for Win10, since the side borders don't match the title bar.

By "the pretty titlebar theme" do you mean copying off the real theme file and putting it in another location?  That's a hideous hack.  You get into a super weird not quite Aero not quite Aero Lite state... aaaaaand you block yourself from getting theme updates from newer builds.

By "the pretty titlebar theme" do you mean copying off the real theme file and putting it in another location?  That's a hideous hack.  You get into a super weird not quite Aero not quite Aero Lite state... aaaaaand you block yourself from getting theme updates from newer builds.

No it is a copy of the default time that is just modified to use the accent color. It is one click in the Themes window to restore the orginal.

It works fairly well. I don't mind the white but I spend a lot time in Windows Explorer and ir looks hideous there. Glad Microsoft is implementing a fix cause it was a common complaint. I only hope in the final version you can leave the taskbar black but the titlebars colored. But most tech press and commenters are complaining about the current implementation I am sure they will listen. They actually do these days :)

I've now had to reset all of the computers that I upgraded, I don't know why but Microsoft's upgrade process for Windows 10 seems to be awful.

No it is a copy of the default time that is just modified to use the accent color. It is one click in the Themes window to restore the orginal.

Yeah, you just said exactly what I just said.  :\

Let's presume that some dude at Microsoft thinks that adding support for element Y in the theme files would be keen.  Your system has an old version of the theme file copied off.  What happens?  Spoiler: nothing good.  Locking yourself to a guaranteed out of date theme file is a really bad plan.  10525 already has a couple minor fixes in the theme file that 10420 "colorize trick" users won't get.  That problem is going to get worse over time.  I glossed over this too when I first heard about this trick/hack.  But yeah, there's a reason why custom theme files are locked out: this does about the same thing and runs into the same set of problems that can be pretty bad.

It works fairly well. I don't mind the white but I spend a lot time in Windows Explorer and ir looks hideous there. Glad Microsoft is implementing a fix cause it was a common complaint. I only hope in the final version you can leave the taskbar black but the titlebars colored. But most tech press and commenters are complaining about the current implementation I am sure they will listen. They actually do these days :)

For now, please upvote "please add a separate toggle for taskbar vs titlebars" in the Windows Feedback application.  I'm hoping they get strong feedback on that.  Adding that toggle is realllly not hard to do. :)

• Like 1

Let's presume that some dude at Microsoft thinks that adding support for element Y in the theme files would be keen.  Your system has an old version of the theme file copied off.  What happens?  Spoiler: nothing good.  Locking yourself to a guaranteed out of date theme file is a really bad plan.  10525 already has a couple minor fixes in the theme file that 10420 "colorize trick" users won't get.  That problem is going to get worse over time.  I glossed over this too when I first heard about this trick/hack.  But yeah, there's a reason why custom theme files are locked out: this does about the same thing and runs into the same set of problems that can be pretty bad.

For now, please upvote "please add a separate toggle for taskbar vs titlebars" in the Windows Feedback application.  I'm hoping they get strong feedback on that.  Adding that toggle is realllly not hard to do. :)

true, i get your point.

But i don't mind reinstalling Windows. On an SSD it really is 12 minutes or so. My other programs go fairy quick and most stuff is in Google cloud. So after installing Chrome I am usually back in action quick while other programs are still installing in the background

Yeah, I see your pain. I submitted a similar suggestion through Windows Feedback, like "please add more colours and the option to apply them to different system elements individually" or something like that. Let's hope they come to sense.

Seeems like Microsoft will sweat it out for a very long time they made such a great and well reviewed product like Windows 7.

I upgraded a few non tech savy people in my family and friends but most where very reluctant. They all said they read bad things like privacy invasion and things being broken on the normal news and Facebook.

I upgraded them anyway with the promise of downgrading if it didn't work. So far everyone seems happy and some say there pc is much faster.   

I've now had to reset all of the computers that I upgraded, I don't know why but Microsoft's upgrade process for Windows 10 seems to be awful.

what method did you use to reset it? Did it ask for any files or anything?

Did it solve your problems?

And did it re-activate properly?

That article doesn't say much of anything,  usage share stayed flat for the past few days, and so?  The chart at the end shows the big difference in gains between 7 and 10, all this means is that MS isn't pushing it out to large numbers of users to upgrade.    There's people who are going to upgrade who are just waiting, like me, I've only upgraded one laptop, a HP, my Samsung tablet hasn't been pushed the update yet because intel in it's infinite wisdom, thinks it's a good idea not to release windows 10 graphics drivers for it's 2-3 yo Atom SoCs.  As for my main work PC, i'm in the middle of the busy season and don't want to upgrade right now, it was always my plan to wait for after the big October update and then upgrade my desktop.  Also plan to put together a new one later which will also run Windows 10 on it.

I'm sure i'm not the only one holding off but still planning to upgrade, we're also not taking into account any future OEM sales of new hardware into the usage share pile yet, those will come though. 

It is to be expected that the thieves and pirates are fearing monitoring

Everyone should fear monitoring. Accepting monitoring as a society is the first step to a totalitarianism system.

I'll be honest i'm starting to regret upgrading. I though 10 would be to 8 what 7 was to vista. I installed 7 on day 1 and did not have any problem with anything that worked on vista (drivers and apps).

Right now i have many problems with 10. Braid did not work. The dev patched it and it now works but at first it did not. I can't get WoW and Dragon Are Origins to launch. I have trouble with my eSata windows 8 drivers. Heroes of the storm is lagging a lot.

So right now I've put on hold the restoration of my apps and games. I'll wait a couple of week for windows 10 to be more ready. I'll not downgrade to 8 because i don't have the time but it's tempting.

Everyone should fear monitoring. Accepting monitoring as a society is the first step to a totalitarianism system.

Did you even lived in a totalitarinism system?It's never ONLY about monitoring,but the living in others choices. 

Did you even lived in a totalitarinism system?It's never ONLY about monitoring,but the living in others choices. 

Did i said it was only about that? I said first step ... could be second or third step though anyway it doesn't really matter. Could have used authoritarianism probably too. Doesn't matter much anyway it was not my point. We should not accept monitoring of our private life (not saying MS is doing it in windows 10 btw). Accepting it is going against what a lot of people in our societies fought for in the past. Being a law abiding citizen is not a good excuse to accept monitoring of our private life in our societies. In fact law abiding citizen should be the first ones to actually protest against it as monitoring criminal activities (with a proper warrant) is acceptable.

Did i said it was only about that? I said first step ... could be second or third step though anyway it doesn't really matter. Could have used authoritarianism probably too. Doesn't matter much anyway it was not my point. We should not accept monitoring of our private life (not saying MS is doing it in windows 10 btw). Accepting it is going against what a lot of people in our societies fought for in the past. Being a law abiding citizen is not a good excuse to accept monitoring of our private life in our societies. In fact law abiding citizen should be the first ones to actually protest against it as monitoring criminal activities (with a proper warrant) is acceptable.

What you really forget is that we've already been facing it once the Internet came up,or phones...Nothing new on the horizon...

Just reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch because my upgrade wasn't perfect and I have some new problems...

I can't install any Visual Studio redistributable package. The installer says "Installation did not succeed", then "Fatal error during installation". Clicking the "View log" link gives this information:

Action: Performing Action on MSI at e:\e22cf86fee07d0e13a26d1\vc_red.msi
Returning IDOK. INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [Error 997.Overlapped I/O operation is in progress. ]
MSI (e:\e22cf86fee07d0e13a26d1\vc_red.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable Setup_20150824_190952802-MSI_vc_red.msi.txt
PerformOperation returned 1603 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070643)
Action complete
OnFailureBehavior for this item is to Rollback.

I tried googling and binging ;) but found nothing that would work. All Windows updates installed automatically so my system is up to date. Any ideas? I can't work right now because my software demands missing DLLs :p

The privacy issues are pretty overblown at this point, many things people bring up have been in windows for years now, like telemetry data and error/crash data collection and so on.  The Cortana stuff isn't an issue, you can still use it and just edit the notebook so it only has the data you want it to have.

The only real issue here is that MS didn't make it super easy to turn off everything post install, but on the other hand, how about users take the extra few minutes at upgrade/install time it takes to set these things and not just hit the express configuration button because they're in a rush?  That'd solve this from the start, and the whole thing with the torrent trackers blocking 10, lol, that made me laugh. 

The privacy issues are pretty overblown at this point, many things people bring up have been in windows for years now, like telemetry data and error/crash data collection and so on.  The Cortana stuff isn't an issue, you can still use it and just edit the notebook so it only has the data you want it to have.

The only real issue here is that MS didn't make it super easy to turn off everything post install, but on the other hand, how about users take the extra few minutes at upgrade/install time it takes to set these things and not just hit the express configuration button because they're in a rush?  That'd solve this from the start, and the whole thing with the torrent trackers blocking 10, lol, that made me laugh. 

Ideally, I think those settings should be turned off by default but I can see why Microsoft doesn't want to do that. The vast majority of users aren't going to change those settings so they wouldn't be able to collect a lot of data. With that said, it isn't a concern for me. One of the first things I did was turn them off but I recently turned some of those settings on in order to use the Windows Feedback app.