'White, male, Christian able-bodied and straight' students are told 'to check their privilege' in poster campaign

I witnessed some preferential treatment of the Jamaican-Canadians (a colloquial term) in the Canadian colleges and universities first hand when I was a student there.

If there were a course leaded by a black prof, you could bet it'd be full of black students who'd be on bro to bro relationships with the prof and would get A's and B+'s as a rule of thumb. Some white guys who played basketball and listened to hip-hop were on similar terms, otherwise, if I tried to knuckle salute a black prof, he could respond in kind maybe the first couple of times and then stop bothering. I, of course, had known some of those guys from the other courses before and they were no where near a B-average students and got C's most of the time.

There were exceptions there of course, like in the advanced corporate finances course (headed by a super-serious black dude with PhD) where you could count, at the most, two-three black straight-A's females.

On 8/24/2016 at 1:13 PM, FloatingFatMan said:

And?  All that reflects is that some people are more likely to resort to crime to solve their problems than others are. Maybe they should try a different solution to their problems?  Take me, for example.  I have a job, I work hard to feed my family... and when sometimes payday doesn't come around sooner than I need it to, I run out of money. This is a big problem, but you know what? I don't solve it by robbing the nearest grocery store.

What on earth are you talking about? I'm sorry but are you implying black people have a tendency to rob grocery stores? The link I quoted said that black people were treated more harshly for THE SAME CRIME in the justice system. Not that they have a tendency to commit violent crimes or rob grocery stores. What you said it completely irrelevant.

23 hours ago, T3X4S said:

According to Duck - being proud your are white = white supremacist

I wonder what his thoughts are on all of the vast many Black Power/Pride movements...

I guess it only pertains to whites...

What is it called when something only pertains to a certain group ?  The word is escaping me ATM...hmm :rolleyes:

20 hours ago, T3X4S said:

A shame they dont see it that way.

Uh oh - I said "they" with a tone - 

So you're proud that you're white, but at the same time everyone should refer to everyone else as "American" regardless of skin colour? I don't know about you but that seems like grade A hypocrisy to me.

I don't support black power/pride movements, so that's irrelevant.

19 hours ago, trag3dy said:

Here you go. It's a simple graph that's easy for those that have trouble with reality to understand.

lMMgvNz.jpg

Again, being treated more harshly by the justice system has nothing to do with the graph you posted (and reposted again many times over)

18 hours ago, Gary7 said:

You got that right. All Lives Matter.

All lives DO matter. BLM isn't saying that they don't! I strongly encourage you to read the whole of this letter and the subsequent response from the law professor. Of particular interest is this quote.

"There is a difference between focus and exclusion. If something matters, this does not imply that nothing else does. If I say “Law Students Matter” it does not imply that my colleagues, friends, and family do not. Here is something else that matters: context. The Black Lives Matter movement arose in a context of evidence that they don’t. When people are receiving messages from the culture in which they live that their lives are less important than other lives, it is a cruel distortion of reality to scold them for not being inclusive enough."

"Black Lives Matter” is not a statement about white people. It does not exclude white people. It does not accuse white people, unless you are a specific white person who perpetrates, endorses, or ignores violence against black people. If you are one of those people, then somebody had better be saying something to you."

14 hours ago, Gary7 said:

So does everyone, I got a job because I went out looking for one, It was not handed to me and did not feel that I was entitled to a Job due to my race. You have made a great deal of sense with your post. Thanks.

Yes, you aren't entitled to a job due to your race - that's right. But that doesn't mean a black person in the same position as you would get the same job.

I don't know why, but many people here seem to think racism and segregation was an issue of the past and never made it past the 20th century. And that's not true. It could be because some people have never gone out of their bubble to experience it, or because they don't personally attack black people. It's still a real issue and you only need to look at any Trump rally, or better yet here (after you skip all the upvoted holocaust deniers). Or maybe look at the absolutely vile treatment of Leslie Jones who made an all female Ghostbusters cast only to have to delete her Twitter account after systemic racial abuse (and only today her website was defaced with nude images and images comparing her to a gorilla). If that isn't disgusting, I don't know what is. Racism is still truly alive and kicking today. 

----

I won't be commenting any further, as it's clear a LOT needs to change before society itself changes to be more inclusive and tolerant, and that can't be achieved through arguing on a forum.

• Like 2

Just now, InconspicuousDuck said:

What on earth are you talking about? I'm sorry but are you implying black people have a tendency to rob grocery stores? The link I quoted said that black people were treated more harshly for THE SAME CRIME in the justice system. Not that they have a tendency to commit violent crimes or rob grocery stores. What you said it completely irrelevant.

Not once did I say black people have a tendency to rob stores. Perhaps you should try learning to read before spouting your nonsense?

1 minute ago, InconspicuousDuck said:

So you're proud that you're white, but at the same time everyone should refer to everyone else as "American" regardless of skin colour? I don't know about you but that seems like grade A hypocrisy to me.

If they're born in America, or legally immigrated to America, they ARE Americans, no matter what their skin colour is. Adding a prefix just serves to segregate.

Are you a segregationist?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, InconspicuousDuck said:

Yes, you aren't entitled to a job due to your race - that's right. But that doesn't mean a black person in the same position as you would get the same job.

You are so wrong, I am was not entitled to anything. I got jobs because I went out looking for them, My first real job was 3 days after I graduated high school with The Government. I never collected unemployment, welfare, food stamps and did not have anyone like the NAACP or Al Sharpton help me get anything. I got to where I am today through hard work. I worked alongside many Blacks that did the same.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, InconspicuousDuck said:

BLM isn't saying that they don't! I strongly encourage you to read the whole of this letter and the subsequent response from the law professor. Of particular interest is this quote.

"There is a difference between focus and exclusion. If something matters, this does not imply that nothing else does. If I say “Law Students Matter” it does not imply that my colleagues, friends, and family do not. Here is something else that matters: context. The Black Lives Matter movement arose in a context of evidence that they don’t. When people are receiving messages from the culture in which they live that their lives are less important than other lives, it is a cruel distortion of reality to scold them for not being inclusive enough."

"Black Lives Matter” is not a statement about white people. It does not exclude white people. It does not accuse white people, unless you are a specific white person who perpetrates, endorses, or ignores violence against black people. If you are one of those people, then somebody had better be saying something to you."

One out of many similar tweets / opinions / videos  etc.

I won't bother getting into the George Soros aspect of this.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, FunkyMike said:

One out of many similar tweets / opinions / videos  etc.

I won't bother getting into the George Soros aspect of this.

One of their slogans is "no peace, no justice" - is this a threat? Like "you get no peace, until we get justice" and by justice they want revenge ofc, some blood being spilled. I wouldn't want to go anywhere near them when they block a whole major intersection downtown.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, InconspicuousDuck said:

I don't support black power/pride movements, so that's irrelevant.

Again, being treated more harshly by the justice system has nothing to do with the graph you posted (and reposted again many times over)

All lives DO matter. BLM isn't saying that they don't! I strongly encourage you to read the whole of this letter and the subsequent response from the law professor. Of particular interest is this quote.

I don't know why, but many people here seem to think racism and segregation was an issue of the past and never made it past the 20th century. And that's not true. It could be because some people have never gone out of their bubble to experience it, or because they don't personally attack black people. It's still a real issue and you only need to look at any Trump rally, or better yet here (after you skip all the upvoted holocaust deniers). Or maybe look at the absolutely vile treatment of Leslie Jones who made an all female Ghostbusters cast only to have to delete her Twitter account after systemic racial abuse (and only today her website was defaced with nude images and images comparing her to a gorilla). If that isn't disgusting, I don't know what is. Racism is still truly alive and kicking today. 

----

I won't be commenting any further, as it's clear a LOT needs to change before society itself changes to be more inclusive and tolerant, and that can't be achieved through arguing on a forum.

If you black people are treated unfairly by the justice system them maybe they should stop committing disproportionate amounts of crime. If they aren't committing any crime then they won't have to deal with it.

It's really pretty simple.

But yes, I guess we all just need to tolerate high amounts of crime and be more accepting of it. Because that makes a lot of ######## sense.

Did I not say this before? Nothing is going to change until black people want fix their own issues within their communities. It's a lovely thought that us white folks can just get on in there and fix all their problems but that would only ever be considered racist and don't say it wouldn't because #blm are already saying they don't want white people to come to their rallies and if they do white people are only to serve as a shield between them and the police.

Edited by trag3dy
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

because #blm are already saying they don't want white people to come to their rallies and if they do white people are only to serve as a shield between them and the police.

#whitemeatshield

• Like 2

15 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Circa - I dont have a single PM from you buddy .... weird.

BUT - what I do have is a new Scotty Cameron Newport 2 :)  (got it this weekend)

that is so strange, i sent two! HAHA the best part is, I wanted to know what putter you got LOL. Great minds think alike.

4 hours ago, InconspicuousDuck said:

The demands provided by BLM demonstrate that all BLM cares about is protecting Blacks. As in, automatically freeing all incarcerated Blacks and giving them free housing, healthcare and education for the rest of their lives caring about Blacks. If that's not racist, I don't know what definition you're using. It's pretty evident all they want is for Blacks to be immune to what everyone else has to deal with.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

The demands provided by BLM demonstrate that all BLM cares about is protecting Blacks. As in, automatically freeing all incarcerated Blacks and giving them free housing, healthcare and education for the rest of their lives caring about Blacks. If that's not racist, I don't know what definition you're using. It's pretty evident all they want is for Blacks to be immune to what everyone else has to deal with.

If someone started a White Lives Matter Group the entire country would burn,

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gary7 said:

If someone started a White Lives Matter Group the entire country would burn,

No kidding - Look @ the sh**storm from just saying "ALL Lives Matter"

Its not that some people you just cant make happy.  Its that there are some people who just want more.

17 hours ago, InconspicuousDuck said:

All lives DO matter. BLM isn't saying that they don't!

What the originators of the movement intended, and what it's now clearly become, are two wildly different things.

2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

What the originators of the movement intended, and what it's now clearly become, are two wildly different things.

Well, the ideological figurehead of BLM, Assata Shakur, is a cop killer and on the FBI's most wanted list and she is considered a domestic terrorist. So yeah. Seems like it's going in the direction they want.

On 24/08/2016 at 9:51 PM, InconspicuousDuck said:

You can't discriminate against a majority that have never been discriminated against throughout history. So no.

That statement is hurting my brain. I guess apartheid wasn't actually a thing then by your logic?

3 minutes ago, IanHead said:

That statement is hurting my brain. I guess apartheid wasn't actually a thing then by your logic

I believe he is speaking of White people, so your brain must be hurting..

1 minute ago, Gary7 said:

I believe he is speaking of White people

That's the logical endpoint of the statement, isn't it? If by 'a majority that have never been discriminated against throughout history' he either can mean exactly that, which doesn't make sense, or he means white people, in which case, what's the reason you can't discriminate against white people? Because they're white? Isn't a statement like that kind of... y'know, racist?

Not to mention discrimination against whites has in fact been, and still is, common throughout Asia and the Middle East. It's a completely indefensible position.

29 minutes ago, IanHead said:

That's the logical endpoint of the statement, isn't it? If by 'a majority that have never been discriminated against throughout history' he either can mean exactly that, which doesn't make sense, or he means white people, in which case, what's the reason you can't discriminate against white people? Because they're white? Isn't a statement like that kind of... y'know, racist?

Not to mention discrimination against whites has in fact been, and still is, common throughout Asia and the Middle East. It's a completely indefensible position.

This entire topic has to do with the US and yes in the past some white people were discriminated against by other white people. The Irish were when they came to this country. As far a a racist Statement Black Lives Matter can be called that as the facts are that ALL LIVES MATTER. This country has become so Politically Correct that one can not call a Sailor a Seamen, or a 9th grade student a Freshmen. It is nuts.

Edited by Gary7
Sp
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

This entire topic has to do with the US and yes in the past some white people were discriminated against by other white people. The Iris were when they came to this country. As far a a racist Statement Black Lives Matter can be called that as the facts are that ALL LIVES MATTER. This country has become so Politically Correct that one can not call a Sailor a Seamen, or a 9th grade student a Freshmen. It is nuts.

Not about to disagree with you there. I just tire of the whole "there's no such thing as discrimination against whites" song and dance that gets trotted out by social regressives and it always seems to come up in discussions like this especially when BLM comes into it.

14 hours ago, IanHead said:

Not about to disagree with you there. I just tire of the whole "there's no such thing as discrimination against whites" song and dance that gets trotted out by social regressives and it always seems to come up in discussions like this especially when BLM comes into it.

The liberal left preaches this on a daily basis.

On 8/21/2016 at 0:50 PM, FloatingFatMan said:

And you know what? We <bleep>ing earned that privilege, with 1000's of years of conflict, poverty, religious subjugation and slavery. Why should we be ashamed over what we have fought through to our relative posterity now?  If any of these mindless cretins ever try to tackle me with their moronic flyers and deeply offensive attitudes, they'll be checking their own privileges in the emergency room, seeing how long it takes a doctor to remove my foot from their backsides.

Bada-Bing....... \m/ 

14 hours ago, Gary7 said:

This entire topic has to do with the US and yes in the past some white people were discriminated against by other white people. The Irish were when they came to this country. As far a a racist Statement Black Lives Matter can be called that as the facts are that ALL LIVES MATTER. This country has become so Politically Correct that one can not call a Sailor a Seamen, or a 9th grade student a Freshmen. It is nuts.

I'm a potato eating hoodlum myself :)