The Big Wrestling Thread!

I loathe TNA has a product, I think the best product out there at the moment is ROH, TNA is to corny and reminds me of WCW Thunder and WWE is like Nitro but ROH is where proper wrestling is at the moment (and WWE NXT)

I absolutely agree with you up until the last month or so. It is like they have gotten a new backroom staff or something since going on the road. The things I HATED about it have seem to have all but disappeared.

My biggest gripe was the shakey-cam-man style backstage segments which have almost gone now. They're now relying much more on in-ring peices, whether it be actual matches or promos or whatever.

They're also more 'hardcore' more often now. I used to hate that the matches were so lazy, that they were just phoning in their performances. They do try and put on decent matches now and the quality is a lot better now they have an arena of their own fans each week.

It really shows WWE up for the mickey mouse outfit they are. They got way too complacent not having a proper competitor over the past 10 years, the whole product is a joke. Anyone remember the blood stoppages?!

In fairness I have seen no NXT, and only 1 ROH. I didn't get on too well with ROH primarily because of the commentary. The wrestling was great, but listening to almost no commentary and then out of nowhere Nigel Mcguinness just shouting 'JESUS!' followed up by silence was properly unprofessional.

I might give it another try though. Is it televised in UK or do I need to grab it online?

Just as a complete side note, I saw the movie Man on the Moon today, the Jim Carey biography of Andy Kaufman.

Interesting little pro wrestling segment about Kaufman and Jerry Lawler. I didn't know about it at the time, and although they didn't go into as much detail as it could, led to some interesting googling/you-tubing afterwards.

Worth checking out.

I might give it another try though. Is it televised in UK or do I need to grab it online?

ROH you'll need to see it online, they have a Youtube channel where they show the top matches for the week and NXT is on Sky Sports 3 I think

Is it televised in UK or do I need to grab it online?

You'll have to grab it online. It's never been shown over here, to my knowledge. It's on every Saturday in America.

Ooh, speaking of the UK, a new British wrestling show is gonna debut tonight at 23:30 over on Challenge, straight after WrestleTalk TV (which I recommend watching). I think it's just gonna be highlights from local promotions each week, but still worth a look. :) I know one of the matches being shown tonight is from New Generation Wrestling up in Hull; Rampage Brown vs.

vs. Nathan Cruz for the NGW Championship.

You'll have to grab it online. It's never been shown over here, to my knowledge. It's on every Saturday in America.

Ooh, speaking of the UK, a new British wrestling show is gonna debut tonight at 23:30 over on Challenge, straight after WrestleTalk TV (which I recommend watching). I think it's just gonna be highlights from local promotions each week, but still worth a look. :) I know one of the matches being shown tonight is from New Generation Wrestling up in Hull; Rampage Brown vs. El Ligero vs. Nathan Cruz for the NGW Championship.

Thanks for the heads up, I will check it out. The UK has some great promotions. I used to watch FWA almost weekly (when it was still the fratton wrestling alliance) as I used to live right by them. Will sky+ it for sure.

I think I'll try getting back into ROH soon; maybe after I've finished all my uni assignments for the year at the end of next month. It's been over a year since I last watched them. I'll see what all the fuss is about Kevin Steen. :p

Has anyone watched The Last of Mcguinness? Is it worth it? I was contemplating ordering it but $20 isn't cheap for what sounds like is essentially edited camera phone footage.

Usually for stuff like that I torrent it, and then (genuinely) pay for it if I enjoyed it, but seems to have gone under the radar.

My biggest gripe was the shakey-cam-man style backstage segments which have almost gone now.

I've got a love/hate relationship with the backstage segment style in TNA. On the downside, it looks unprofessional, but on the upside, it makes the whole thing seem more believable (it's an oxymoron, but it helps reinforce kayfabe and reality at the same time). I find it annoying in WWE when they have a backstage segment which involves a heel plotting something in secret, while conveniently ignoring the camera crew in their face. Meanwhile in TNA, the cameras are usually out of sight, sometimes peering through windows to spy on the wrestlers. Makes it more believable. They don't always bother with the conventional interviews either and mix it up with quickie interviews asked by a guy off-camera sneaking up on people. :p

There is that, but wrestling is really all about the live show, and the TV episode spawned from the live show and like that it should stay. I prefer them taking more stuff to the ring, its one of the few things WCW got right. I much prefer them having a more live-show orientated product than having some really badly put together back stage segments.

Spoilers incoming...

As we noted earlier, Brock Lesnar is backstage in Greenville, SC for Raw tonight, and is scheduled to appear on the show.

PWInsider.com is reporting that Lesnar is expected to continue his feud with Triple H on Raw tonight, and that Lesnar vs Triple H in a Steel Cage Match is expected to headline the Extreme Rules PPV next month.

It's unknown whether or not WWE's original plan for Extreme Rules was to feature a Lesnar vs Triple H rematch, and it's possible those plans changed at the last minute when The Rock unexpectedly left New Jersey prior to Raw last week. We do know, however, that prior to WrestleMania WWE intended for Lesnar to appear at Extreme Rules to add star power to the PPV, as it's likely CM Punk will be kept off the show.

WWE announced that The Undertaker will return to the ring on next Monday's RAW from London, England.

Taker will team with Kane and Daniel Bryan to take on Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns.