Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

Yeah, they SHOULD go and play the other games (in fact most of us older than 20 will have), but the fact is with the last console version being released 4 years ago, and hell the first MGS one being released nearly 10 years ago, a lot of people WONT have played the whole series, so my point is they COULD have done a lot better.

Besides, thats far from their biggest problem i've found with the game anyway, as posted in my original post.

Yeah, they SHOULD go and play the other games, but the fact is with the last console version being released 4 years ago, and hell the first MGS one being released nearly 10 years ago, a lot of people WONT have played the whole series, so my point is they COULD have done a lot better.

A lot of people?

You do realise MGS is a hardcore title that is bought mainly by MGS fans?

MGS4 is a finale to the series, 90% of the people buying it will be those who have followed the game/series.

You really expect a mass flood of casual gamers to be picking up MGS4 on a console that only has an install base right now of about 15million? Most of whom will definitely be PS1/PS2 owners seeing as the PS3 is not really at an impulse casual buy price yet.

I don't really see much back story other than references in any other MGS title, so as I said earlier I find this criticism pretty stupid and I'd apply it to most games outside of MGS as well that are a continuation of a story.

I never understand people jumping into things at the end/middle then going off on one because they don't know everything that's going on, of course you don't, you missed a chunk :whistle:

Now if the part you missed is super rare/unbuyable and undocumented, fine, the developers should be helping you out more. But when all the parts are still easily obtained, not to mentioned documented to hell and back online and even on PSN as I said, it's your fault if you get confused because you didn't spend a bit of time reading/playing up.

A lot of people?

You do realise MGS is a hardcore title that is bought mainly by MGS fans?

MGS4 is a finale to the series, 90% of the people buying it will be those who have followed the game/series.

You really expect a mass flood of casual gamers to be picking up MGS4 on a console that only has an install base right now of about 15million? Most of whom will definitely be PS1/PS2 owners seeing as the PS3 is not really at an impulse casual buy price yet.

I don't really see much back story other than references in any other MGS title, so as I said earlier I find this criticism pretty stupid.

MGS a hardcore title? Considering the huge media push this game had being one of the few so-called 'AAA' titles around, it's been far more than a fans-only game. Hell, by Aug 5th, it had shipped 3.94million so it's anyones guess how many it's sold now. Hardcore game my ass.

Also, with MGS4 in the bargain bin most places now (?25 or under) I can imagine sales have picked up fairly swiftly recently.

Like I said, it was a minor point in all the other problems I had with the game, so I find your ******ism pretty stupid.

MGS a hardcore title? Considering the huge media push this game had being one of the few so-called 'AAA' titles around, it's been far more than a fans-only game. Hell, by Aug 5th, it had shipped 3.94million so it's anyones guess how many it's sold now. Hardcore game my ass.

Also, with MGS4 in the bargain bin most places now (?25 or under) I can imagine sales have picked up fairly swiftly recently.

Like I said, it was a minor point in all the other problems I had with the game, so I find your ******ism pretty stupid.

:laugh::

It isclearly> a hardcore game, I can't even believe you're trying to say it's not.

The title ships those numbers because it's a hugely popular franchise. You may also have noticed how it nose dived out of the charts after like 1-2 weeks. The fans sweep in, buy it to hell and back at release/week of release, then that's it done.

Sales will trickle out from here till knows when still, but it's not a casual title like WiiSports that's been in the charts for like a year.

I seriously doubt you'll ever see MGS4 in the top10 charts again, heck it's probably even out of the top20.

PS1>

Metal Gear Solid (7 million)

PS2 >

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (7 million)

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (3.7 million)

PS3>

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (3.94million +)

Similar numbers/similar audiences.

I'd like to point out those Snake Eater numbers were when the PS2 probably had an install base of like 120 million, and MGS4 done similar numbers when the PS3 had an install base of like 13-14 million.

The majority of those who buy MGS are MGS fans:yes::

Edited by Audioboxer

Essentially what we're looking at is (in august) over 26% of all the people with a ps3 own MGS4. Snake eater would be about 3% of those that own a ps2.

I think with the game being heavily discounted now sales will shoot back up anyway. When MGS4 came out, it was supposed to be the 'big one' cosindering the lack of (quality) games at the time, so a fair few would have bought on that basis alone. I know quite a few people that did just that, stop trying to make yourself into some kind elite hardcore group just because of playing the game, that just doesn't make sense....

Essentially what we're looking at is (in august) over 26% of all the people with a ps3 own MGS4. Snake eater would be about 4% of those that own a ps2.

I think with the game being heavily discounted now sales will shoot back up anyway. When MGS4 came out, it was supposed to be the 'big one' cosindering the lack of (quality) games at the time, so a fair few would have bought on that basis alone. I know quite a few people that did just that, stop trying to make yourself into some kind elite hardcore group just because of playing the game, that just doesn't make sense....

What the? :blink:

MGS4 is a hardcore title, aimed at people specifically interested in the MGS world. It's not a game that you just jump into willy nilly with no prior knowledge. We're not playing Mario Kart or FIFA here.

It's got nothing to do with me playing it. You're sounding ridiculous now with that comment.

Sales will not shoot back up. It's a burnout game that shoots its load at release then trickles from then on in, just like every other MGS title, and many other heavy story based titles.

Essentially what we're looking at is (in august) over 26% of all the people with a ps3 own MGS4. Snake eater would be about 4% of those that own a ps2.

You even proved my point here.

MGS caters to an audience of gamers who'll be there to buy it when it's out, because they're interested in it.

If MGS3/MGS4 sales are similar, but the hardware install bases are like 120 million vs 14 million, that makes my point pretty damn obvious :yes:

Edited by Audioboxer