Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

Whenever I watch the Act 5 opener, where Snake catapults on to Outer Haven, I just marvel at the graphics. They're fantastic.

Can't wait to get home and play this in HD :)

Is there any way of starting MGO from the XMB, im getting bored of having to wait for all the nonskippable intro logos then have to wait while MGO loads from the MGS4 menu, quite irritating.

Has anyone got any idea how you level up in MGO? been playing it for a while and i aint got a clue :wacko:

No idea.

I have played like 5 hours and I'm at level 3 but not sure how I got there.

I beat MSG4 tonight. Last night, I was playing at a friends house, on his saved game data. He had the Railgun in act II and when I asked him how he did that, he said that after you beat the game, you get all your stuff back from the mk2 on your second play through.

I just met it and didn't get any of my previous weps. (Besides the pistols)

What gives?

Threads Merged

The game actually tells you what you're supposed to do once you beat it. Either way, you're supposed to load your finished saved game in order to get all your stuff back.

Yes! I rented it 2 days ago, and finished it a couple hours ago. The ending was awesome and I'm not complaining about the cut scenes because they were spectacular. Couldn't ask for better closure to a great series.

• 1 month later...

Confession. I just bought the game Friday.

All I can say is... wow. I wanted to cry. :cry:

Especially when you find out Snake doesn't have to blow his brains out,

and when Otacon decides to let Sunny out into the outside.

Psycho Mantis was the best. THERES NO VIBRATION EITHER?! :laugh:

Glad you bumped this and mentioned the vibration, What does Mantis say if you actually do have a DS3 ?

Now he says: RUMBLE IS BACK! But it's pretty much the same. Oh, and your controller moves, due to amazing telekinetic power. :laugh:

My fav was also when you call Rose during the Screaming Mantis battle, Campbell tells you to switch controller ports, but she corrects him. :p and if you do switch ports, Otacon comes on the Codec and teases you for switching controller numbers. God there's so much more.

Quick question. I beat the game, but when I start a new game, via loading the finished game, I don't get items and weapons I won in the game.

You get them when you get to the Mk. II, same time you get the Operator, Solid Eye, and Tranq Gun.

Ver.1.12 Update information

The following problems have been fixed

When a host leaves a game, the position of host is automatically forwarded to someone else. When someone else filled the free 16th slot, the player would be invisible to the new host.

The game would sometimes freeze if a player would invite a Clan Member while in Survival mode.

The day of the week of "Match Time" was not correctly displayed when viewing the rules in the Survival Lobby.

The following game specifications have been changed:

The motion of reloading the shotgun cannot be canceled by equipping a box or changing weapons.

Change of weapon specification:

Saiga 12's cost changed from 8000DP to 5000DP.

G3A3's cost changed from 5000DP to 4000DP.

Change of skill specification:

"NARC" Lv2's cost from 1 to 2

"NARC" Lv3's cost from 1 to 3

*With this change, all skills will be temporarily removed, but players will be able to put them on again with the existing skill points

Source: Playstation.com

I found the story was well done, but not as tightnit as I would have hoped. The story, music, gameplay, FMV, characters, everything in MGS3 made it the best game I've ever played in 15 years. I was hoping for more with MGS4 but it felt like any mediocre game before.

I found the ending sentimental in that the grave site is used again. I felt the best use of imagery and sentimental value in the game for me was to see the USS Missouri on a final mission.

The Patriots thing makes sense now. In a way, I was hoping the net was much bigger. It would have been cool to have the more better-than-James Bond feel from MGS3.

I got this game fairly late, just completed Act 3. I've got to say this is possibly one of the most boring games i've ever played. I can summerise the gameplay with:

20minute cutscene

Run to checkpoint A

10minute cutscene (all action done for you)

Run to checkpoint B

15 min cutscene (again, all action done for you).

You don't do anything except run to stupid checkpoints while the entire game practically plays itself. It's becoming quite a chore to get the enthusiasm to keep playing.

The story is weak - if I hadn't played any of the Metal Gear games i'd have no idea what the hell was going on, and the entire story would just seem stupid. What Kojima really wants is to be a movie director, he's done his best to turn this into a long movie where sometimes, out of the goodness of their heart, they'll let you run to the next place in the story. The AI is woeful and poses little to no challenge, and the graphics are equally poor with most of the textures incredibly low-res and the models looking like plastic dolls.

Shame, 'cos I liked all the others.

Edited by Si_

I found the story was well done, but not as tightnit as I would have hoped. The story, music, gameplay, FMV, characters, everything in MGS3 made it the best game I've ever played in 15 years. I was hoping for more with MGS4 but it felt like any mediocre game before.

I found the ending sentimental in that the grave site is used again. I felt the best use of imagery and sentimental value in the game for me was to see the USS Missouri on a final mission.

The Patriots thing makes sense now. In a way, I was hoping the net was much bigger. It would have been cool to have the more better-than-James Bond feel from MGS3.

Don't forget your spoilers! :o

Yeah, it's like something was missing from the story.

if I hadn't played any of the Metal Gear games i'd have no idea what the hell was going on, and the entire story would just seem stupid.

Do you tend to watch the finale to a series first? Or watch the third movie in a trilogy before the first and second?

No.

Daftest complaint I've ever heard anyone bring up about MGS4. It's been said a few times.

It's as if some people expect to be able to play MGS4 and somehow know everything about the past games from it...

The game is a conclusion/finale to a long series of titles, why would you want to play it first if you cared about the story and it making sense? It's for the fans of MGS, not for casuals wanting a story that starts/ends and is concluded in one title.

At least if you don't want to play the older games, you go and read about them and clue yourself up on the story. However if anyone jumps into MGS4 with no prior knowledge of the MGS world, they get what they deserve with confusion.

Do you tend to watch the finale to a series first? Or watch the third movie in a trilogy before the first and second?

No.

Daftest complaint I've ever heard anyone bring up about MGS4. It's been said a few times.

It's as if some people expect to be able to play MGS4 and somehow know everything about the past games from it...

The game is a conclusion/finale to a long series of titles, why the would you want to play it first if you cared about the story and it making sense?

At least if you don't want to play the older games, you go and read about them and clue yourself up on the story. However if anyone jumps into MGS4 with no prior knowledge of the MGS world, they get what they deserve with confusion.

Ha had a feeling you'd jump in ;) Given the time scales of games like MGS4, it would only be natural to have (even an optional) catch up to what's happened so far. BioWare have said Mass Effect will include one and that story was quite large, and I imagine the same will go into ME3. Several games include catch ups so that defence is poor at best.

Besides, even if there wasn't a seperate catch up, the story/dialogue could have been written a LOT better to explain things better if they wanted.

Ha had a feeling you'd jump in ;) Given the time scales of games like MGS4, it would only be natural to have (even an optional) catch up to what's happened so far. BioWare have said Mass Effect will include one and that story was quite large, and I imagine the same will go into ME3. Several games include catch ups so that defence is poor at best.

Besides, even if there wasn't a seperate catch up, the story/dialogue could have been written a LOT better to explain things better if they wanted.

If you as the gamer care about the series you'll play the older games/clue yourself up.

Developers are creating new games in the franchise, not remaking the past "x" amount of games each time a new instalment comes out to cater for the small % of people buying with no knowledge of the title at all.

There are flashbacks/references and other comments on prior MGS games in 4, that is all that is needed.

I'm sure that is what will be in ME as well.

It's not a poor defence at all, as I said, answer my question

I'm sure you'll say no.

This is a heavy story based game, if you neglect the prior story and jump in at the finale, you deserve what you get.

ps. On PSN you can download an interactive "storybook" for free explaining all of the MGS history as well. The information is there, either by playing the previous games, or reading about it. No excuse other than not caring/laziness if you plough through MGS4 then whine about not knowing what's going on.