Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Discussion Thread

What do I shoot the dolls with? The Sniper Rifle is too slow so i dunno...

The regular pistol and even the M4 are far more accurate than you give them credit for ;)

OK great ending I finished the game... but here's my question. When I start again do I start with all my weapons and items? I loaded my game, then started a big boss extreme game and I don't have any of my old guns/weapons... I just want to play with my toys I don't care about difficulty.

OK great ending I finished the game... but here's my question. When I start again do I start with all my weapons and items? I loaded my game, then started a big boss extreme game and I don't have any of my old guns/weapons... I just want to play with my toys I don't care about difficulty.

Yes, you start again with all your weapons and items. You have to meet Otacon in the Mk. II first before you get them back. ;)

It TELLS you after you watch the ending what you have to do to get your weapons and items back.

It TELLS you after you watch the ending what you have to do to get your weapons and items back.

I went to go eat during the credits after the Snake/Big Boss scene. :p

Thanks, MJ!

I went to go eat during the credits after the Snake/Big Boss scene. :p

Thanks, MJ!

Also, loaded your completed game save first, don't start a brand new game before you load it.

Also, loaded your completed game save first, don't start a brand new game before you load it.

I learner that the hard way. My second run through the game was for nothing. :p

omg. Just been playing for 4 hours this game is epic.....

The intro sequence blew my mind, i love how all the cutscenes are in engine so when the cutscenes over the HUD fades in and the camera zooms to behind snake. I love how the game handles, seen a few bits that narked me one of them being the respawning PMCs after ive shot them and ran past, but other than that i LOVE it, well worth the 2 year wait.

Most of it is uses the in-game engine. Cant remember any particular cut-scene that couldnt be done in-game.

Im guess the many egg cooking scenes were pre-rendered.

Wouldn't make sense designing the engine to perform that task.

lol :D

How much further do I have/how many acts are there?

Shadow Moses, Raiden just killed Vamp (for real), and I am in Rex breaking out...

You've got one relatively short act left, but a LOT of cut-scene to go.

Relative indeed. You can really stretch out the game by enganing in lengthy battles once you've amounted a nice weapon/ammo arsenal and DPs for ammo. :D

Finished it earlier today..... Epic! :o

I was watching the Epilogue but had to go to work so did'nt get to see it all before i turned it off. Gonna watch it all again in a little while.. then am gonna start my 2nd run through! :laugh:

Well lets see...

Audioboxer kept saying he wanted to know my overall impressions once I beat the game being it would be from the perspective of someone who never played any other game in the series. So here it is, and I am warning people who get offended easily if someone critiques anything Sony related. My following thoughts at times are not going to be pretty to read, but it is what it is... Me telling the truth on how I fee about Metal Gear Solid 4.

So. I beat the game.

I apologize to anyone who may have read my comments earlier as I hope I did not influence anyone one way or the other with them, but I definitely jumped to conclusions earlier in this thread by saying it was possibly in the Top 5 games ever. I think I may even have said Top 3.

It is more in the Top 25-50 games I have ever played.

With that said, me even saying Top 25 is giving it extremely high praise.

it all comes down to one thing. The cut scenes just went way overboard for me. Way overboard.

I personally need to play more than 5 minutes in the last 90+ minutes (it may have even been 2 hours???) of a video game and not have the rest of the 85 minutes be a movie, but that of course is just me.

That about sums up MGS4 for me.

Great gameplay, but the overall game experience was way, way, way drawn out.

Basically, I went into this game not being a fan of story heavy video games, then it almost changed my mind, easily the first half of the actual game itself drew me in like no other game had. I was a fan of story, a fan of cutscenes, etc.

Then it eventually just got to be way to much, and absolutely solidified the fact I am not a big fan of story, and that is because I honestly enjoy playing games for the actual act of playing them.

So honestly, the fact the story is what it is, and that is absolutely EPIC, that ironically brings the entire game down a whole lot of notches in my own book. I realize I may be old school in viewing things this way and the way forward for games is story lines like this, but the reason I personally play video games is to play them, not watch them.

I did say earlier it was the Game Of The Year, and I still without a doubt believe it is.

I know I sound like I did not enjoy it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Just explaining why I did not absolutely love it like I first thought I would.

Oh Yeah, since it is on my screen...

Total Time - 59:27:54 (Remember, I paused a whole lot)

Continues - 19

Alert Phases - 105

Kills - 589

Recovery Items Used - 62

Weapon Types Procured - 40

Flashbacks Watched - 104

Special Items - Not Used

Total Bonus - 22,500

Current Drebin Points - 226,456

Confer the titled of... Eagle

Im a massive MGS fan and i havent even completed Act 1 yet and the cutscenes are annoying me a little bit, there must be a better way of telling a story rather than 2 people on the screen and 1 person is telling the other person about a past event or story... Show me the goddamn story dont just sit there and have a character drone on about stuff.

Well lets see...

Audioboxer kept saying he wanted to know my overall impressions once I beat the game being it would be from the perspective of someone who never played any other game in the series. So here it is, and I am warning people who get offended easily if someone critiques anything Sony related. My following thoughts at times are not going to be pretty to read, but it is what it is... Me telling the truth on how I fee about Metal Gear Solid 4.

So. I beat the game.

I apologize to anyone who may have read my comments earlier as I hope I did not influence anyone one way or the other with them, but I definitely jumped to conclusions earlier in this thread by saying it was possibly in the Top 5 games ever. I think I may even have said Top 3.

It is more in the Top 25-50 games I have ever played.

With that said, me even saying Top 25 is giving it extremely high praise.

it all comes down to one thing. The cut scenes just went way overboard for me. Way overboard.

I personally need to play more than 5 minutes in the last 90+ minutes (it may have even been 2 hours???) of a video game and not have the rest of the 85 minutes be a movie, but that of course is just me.

That about sums up MGS4 for me.

Great gameplay, but the overall game experience was way, way, way drawn out.

Basically, I went into this game not being a fan of story heavy video games, then it almost changed my mind, easily the first half of the actual game itself drew me in like no other game had. I was a fan of story, a fan of cutscenes, etc.

Then it eventually just got to be way to much, and absolutely solidified the fact I am not a big fan of story, and that is because I honestly enjoy playing games for the actual act of playing them.

So honestly, the fact the story is what it is, and that is absolutely EPIC, that ironically brings the entire game down a whole lot of notches in my own book. I realize I may be old school in viewing things this way and the way forward for games is story lines like this, but the reason I personally play video games is to play them, not watch them.

I did say earlier it was the Game Of The Year, and I still without a doubt believe it is.

I know I sound like I did not enjoy it, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Just explaining why I did not absolutely love it like I first thought I would.

Good read (Y)

I do think a lot of stuff could've been clipped in the bud a little earlier, but I guess it's a downside of Kojima going all out to try and bring closure to every little part of Solid Snake's story.

Some things could've been left unexplained I suppose - But then on the flipside you'd have people complaining they weren't.

LOL at your playtime, you noob :p

OMG at the ending! :o I was convinced that Snake was going to die at the end.. if your reading this Kojima, Snake's got at least one more game left in him yet! haha :laugh:

I agree with the extremely long ending cut scene. Kojima should have trimmed it a bit but on the flip side, this is the closing game of the series so it is only fitting to have an ending of sorts to explain everything that was left unanswered. Still, he could have managed to make it shorter.