Battlefield Bad Company

I haven't tried the retail version yet, but I'm fairly sure it hasn't changed much from either the Beta or the recently released Demo.

The frostbite engine is amazing, really looks spectacular and the huge maps really adds a new dimension to the game. terrain and building destruction is also great, although the grid-destruction on buildings tend to get a bit boring after a few games, would've been nice with some dynamic destruction.

Audio wise they certainly done some great work, really sounds like a huge battlefield with lots of distant explosions and weapon sounds going on, but again It's not 'dynamic', so an enemy right in front of you still sounds like he's a mile away. In online sessions, even with my 6.1 Surround system on, I have a hard time telling where shots are coming from sometimes. You can be sneaking around and all of a sudden, you are dead from somewhere random.

As for the core gameplay, I'm not that impressed. First off I really don't like games, where weapons do very little damage. So when you see more than one enemy you are pretty much done for, unless you get some headshots which is/was nigh on impossible since the hit-boxes seems very ... weak. Not even a grenade launcher explosion right ON the person will kill him at 100HP.

I also been in a fair few close-quarters firefights, where we were running around each other, trying to flank. But those little moments are ruined by squad spawning. Suddenly you have 2-3 allies or enemies there to ruin the fun. Also been times where I chased down a guy just to have a few of his friends spawn around me and shoot me.

So all in all, pretty much feels as weak as any of the other Battlefield games in a dumbed down version, but with added frustration.

I wish people would stop treating this as a Team Deathmatch game when it clearly isn't.

So many idiots online too interested in just racking up kills and letting the other team blow up the crates!

Unofortunate to hear this. Hopefully these people get sick of it sooner than later.

Got my copy, am going to play the SP for a little while just to reacquaint myself with the controls.

Then I will probably hop online a bit if not right after later on tonight.

If for whatever reason I do not wind up playing much tonight, I definitely plan on sneaking some time in tomorrow. If I see anyone on from here and I am playing the MP I will send an invite or vice versa.

I've started playing online now, it seems loads better than the BETA/demo. Can you only rank up/unlock certain weapons in ranked games?

Certain weapons in certain classes are not available and say locked, how do I unlock them?

No matter how many times I try I cannot get into a match. WTF?

There are big issues with the 360 version mate. EA DICE are looking into it

We are aware that some X360 players are having issues connecting to the Bad Company servers.

To all Bad Companions playing on Xbox:

We are aware that some X360 players are having issues connecting to the Bad Company servers.

We?ve been monitoring stats non-stop and are working with several partners to locate any possible flashpoints and eradicate any hostiles we encounter.

Until we are ready to implement a permanent fix, a possible workaround is to turn off your console for approx. 20 minutes before turning it back on and connecting again.

We apologise for the inconvenience to those of you who are experiencing this connection issue.

But I'm on a PS3 :(

:laugh: Ahhh!!

What's your NAT status? In the manual for the game does it mention any specific ports that need to be open? Are you using uPnP on your router?

Sony decided to shut down....

6/25/2008

....for 5 hours. This affected all online play for PS3. [updated] Sony is having trouble with their maintenance.

Update: Sony has taken down their PlayStation Network again, as the maintenance did not go as planned. Estimated time is less than an hour.

Updated: 2008-06-25 02:21 CEST / 6-24-08 5:21pm Pacific

----------------

The full message from Sony is as follows:

Playstation Network Service maintenance information

We will be performing maintenance for PLAYSTATION Network Service(PSN) as follows.

Maintenance Schedule:

Start time: June 24 (Tue) 17:00 CEST (8am Pacific)

End time: June 24 (Tue) 22:10 CEST (1.10pm Pacific)

Impact: PSN service for all region will be unavailable during this maintenance.

Auth will be available for accounts already cached (having logged in prior to the start of the maintenance).

Thank you for your cooperation.

Source

I had the message that I couldn't join games on the 360 yesterday for a brief amount of time. Been working again ever since though.

Why have you posted that about the Sony servers? It was days ago, around the time they had maintenance down time. The 360 issues are still present. :huh:

There could still be problems left behind from the maintenance.

WastedJoker was experiencing an unexpected error after all.

I see! Seems the problem he has was more down to the EA servers than the PSN.

i'll stick to COD4 and halo.....and save myself the 60$...besides i just prestiged again.

Battlefield: Bad Company Giveaway

Planet Battlefield is happy to giveaway five Xbox 360 copies of the newest Battlefield game, Battlefield: Bad Company. Please only enter once or you will be disqualified. You must register for free and login to see the contest page. Contest will run for one week starting today (Monday, June 30, 2008) and ending Monday, July 7, 2008 at 11:59pm PDT. Good luck and thanks to the guys at EA for providing these!

Source + Comp

Anyone able to get Squads working at all on the 360??

It just does not work for me, at all.

Yup it worked for .Kick and I the other day. However at one point the invites stopped working and we both reset the game which solved the problem. Might be cause of the problems EA are having with the servers.

It works but it has so many issues. When I played with DM the other day, like after 2 games it decided to put me on the other team :s. Also, if the squad leader quits, it doesn't quit everyone like in CoD4. Both got to quit. It needs a patch to sort it out and add more features for it because it is so so so basic :|

Yup it worked for .Kick and I the other day. However at one point the invites stopped working and we both reset the game which solved the problem. Might be cause of the problems EA are having with the servers.

Okay I will try again, I want to play with you guys too!

Me and my coworker tried for literally 45 minutes. It would say accepting squad invite, then looking for server, then server could not be found, and just not work. So hopefully they get it sorted out.

That is my only complaint so far, and it looks like it is not just me, but the connection issues are pretty damn bad. I have technically not purchased the game yet, and if they do not sort it out within the next week or so, I may just send it back. I like playing games like this by myself, but the truth is I really enjoy it with other people, and if I cannot play with other people, then it seals the deal for me and I will not keep it.

Okay I will try again, I want to play with you guys too!

Me and my coworker tried for literally 45 minutes. It would say accepting squad invite, then looking for server, then server could not be found, and just not work. So hopefully they get it sorted out.

That is my only complaint so far, and it looks like it is not just me, but the connection issues are pretty damn bad. I have technically not purchased the game yet, and if they do not sort it out within the next week or so, I may just send it back. I like playing games like this by myself, but the truth is I really enjoy it with other people, and if I cannot play with other people, then it seals the deal for me and I will not keep it.

Yeah that's what we kept getting then we restarted the game and tried again and it worked!

Yeah that's what we kept getting then we restarted the game and tried again and it worked!

Well be both did back out of the game completely then relaunch it, do you mean actually restart the 360 completely?

Well be both did back out of the game completely then relaunch it, do you mean actually restart the 360 completely?

Nope, I only went back to Dashboard. It does seem that there are issues with the pretty poor Squad system for which I hope they patch pretty quickly!

TBH I havent even tried MP yet, I have been far too busy on SP. I am thoroughly enjoying it :)

There are a few glitches, like your squad mates can get stuck trying to follow you, watching them running on the spot against a wall or tree is funny, but could have been avoided by proper pathing :( Sometimes when you get into a vehicle your squad mates sort of warp to your position and into the vehicle giving an unfinished look to it. That said as mentioned I am really liking it and am spending a lot of time searching for the unlockable weapons and gold. I am playing it on Normal currently, but intend to attempt it again on Hard at some point.

Nope, I only went back to Dashboard. It does seem that there are issues with the pretty poor Squad system for which I hope they patch pretty quickly!

Yeah quitting to the Daskboard and relaunching the game was enough to sort our issue. I really do think it was to do with the sever issues they were having though. It hasn't happened to me since then and I haven't received the connection server issue when playing solo either.

The squad system though, is really basic. It's just a level above sending an invite through the dashboard. Only difference is that you do it within Battlefield. No other options (N)