Yeah, that's the one down fall to these updates, everyone goes to play that character until they get all the achievements and are burned out and go back to their normal character. I never play a Heavy, but playing anything else will be hard. Maybe sniper? As long as I can stay far away lol

I get a killed a lot because I sacrifice myself for the greater good! One time, in Turbine the intelligence was practically at their door and we were tied at 2-2 so I went kamikaze with my Pyro to disrupt them. Needless to say, the intelligence returned and I died :laugh: .

I'm still learning a lot but so far I am improving.

Scirwode

i do similar but don't die, and usually it's save engies stuff, if i see a solder tryin to take a sentry out i'll get in the way if the engie can't repair it

Yeah, that's the one down fall to these updates, everyone goes to play that character until they get all the achievements and are burned out and go back to their normal character. I never play a Heavy, but playing anything else will be hard. Maybe sniper? As long as I can stay far away lol

Yeah all heavies = massive rack up of points for a sniper.

The Spy update is going to be one of the worst :pinch:

Snipers and Spies are probably chomping at the bit for this update. Killing those fatties will be easy money.

I can't wait to see what else will be in the update. The new map looks cool. I really like the CP style maps the best out of TF2.

Incoming Heavy!

August 11, 2008 - Robin Walker

We've been a little quiet for the last week as we've put the finishing touches on the Heavy update. We thought the Pyro pack was the biggest we'd be doing for a while, due to the large changes to the Pyro, but the Heavy update has turned out to be even bigger. In addition to the three unlockable weapons and thirty-five achievements for the Heavy, we've got a new game mode with five new arenas for it, a new Payload map focusing on more open spaces than Goldrush, and another popular community-made map. Throughout the rest of the week we'll be giving you the details on all this, and if all goes well, you'll have your hands on it shortly afterwards.

The community-made map included in the Heavy update is cp_steel, by Jamie 'Fishbus' Manson. After the Pyro update we received a lot of email telling us how wrong we were in our choices, and cp_steel was an easy next choice due to the way it dominated the suggestions. If you're firing up your email right now to tell us that we never get anything right, please include suggestions of what map(s) we should be looking at next.

We'll be updating A Heavy Update site with more info daily. Stay tuned!

http://steamgames.com/tf2/heavy/

4 new Valve-made maps for one brand new game mode, and 1 Payload PLUS cp_steel.

This is going to be massive. :woot:

EDIT:

The rollout culminates next Tuesday, August 19 when the update will be made available to all owners of Team Fortress 2.

To give all gamers a chance to check out the new gameplay introduced in "The Heavy" update, Valve will be running a Team Fortress 2 Free Weekend via Steam, a leading online platform for the delivery and management of PC games. The Free Weekend is open to gamers the world over and scheduled to begin Friday, August 22 at 11 am PDT.

Yeah all heavies = massive rack up of points for a sniper.

The Spy update is going to be one of the worst :pinch:

Lots of heavies = I'm going to get the making bacon achievement.

And setting spies on fire is just plain fun.

I still haven't finished some of my achievements, I'm still unlocking some Medic ones where I only have the new medi gun. I've unlocked all of the Pyro weapons but I'm still far behind in completing it just yet.

Scirwode

Lots of heavies = I'm going to get the making bacon achievement.

Yeah that'll help me get it too! :p Although I should be really close by the time it comes out.

how do i get weapon upgrades?

Once you've unlocked them you press the ";" key (i think :unsure:) while dead and change what is equipped.

Oh this will be hilarious fun, in sudden death on the IO Gaming 2fort 32man server we tend to all go heavy.

Hilarious sight is 16 heavies running across bridge :D

but how do i get them to unlock them?

that was the question

If you press the key under escape in game and click on achievements it will tell you what you need to do to unlock each one.

On servers that provide fast respawn, the defenders win most of the time.

Not really. It depends on the team.

See, I don't know about you guys, but I actually like, you know, PLAYING and not sitting with my thumb up my ass waiting to respawn. Even if you're good, you're going to get killed. I find 5 second spawn delays intolerable, and a 5 second spawn delay is short for TF2. It's one of the main reasons why I hate playing Halo 3. I feel that it just massively slows down the game.

I just hope the instant-respawn servers don't go anywhere anytime soon.

Honestly, is it a good idea to upgrade the Heavy yet? It's already a very powerful class. Shouldn't they wait until the other classes are updated first?

Honestly, is it a good idea to upgrade the Heavy yet? It's already a very powerful class. Shouldn't they wait until the other classes are updated first?

The Heavy isn't being upgraded, the unlocks are alternatives or "sidegrades" as the SPUF likes to call them.

Not really. It depends on the team.

It does depend on the team, but it is a fact that it makes things much harder on attack/defend maps like Dustbowl for the BLU team, because as soon as you kill someone they're back in the action, if you die however then you respawn and trudge all the way back to the front line. Which is a form of respawn-timer in itself.

I feel that it just massively slows down the game.

That's the idea, it paces the game so it doesn't turn into a total spamfest.

there is nothing in the achievement list about weapon unlocks and how to get them

You need to look for the Milestone X achievements, but i'll explain.

To unlock the Milestones you need to unlock 10/16/22 achievements in the relevant pack, each Milestone corresponds to a certain unlockable.

ahhh well that knocks me out then, as i dont play as often as i should lol

You should be able to get at least the 1st Milestone after a couple of days of casual play, especially for the Pyro unlocks.

Take a look at the list and pick out what seem to be the easiest ones and specifically target those during play.

ahhh well that knocks me out then, as i dont play as often as i should lol

Some are pretty easy, probably the easiest is the Surgical Prep for medic. Just have an uber ready before the startup timer runs out.

A majority of them are kill X number of X class with a particular weapon. Then the longer ones are 1 million heal points as a medic and 1 million flame damage as a pyro.

The medic one for me was easy, because it was already accumulating, it didn't do that for the pyro and since i don't play him, i'm only at 300K.

There are quite a few you can get by just playing normally, there are some harder ones that kinda are a pain to get.

The medic one for me was easy, because it was already accumulating, it didn't do that for the pyro and since i don't play him, i'm only at 300K.

Only? :laugh:

Damn I need to play more.

Only? :laugh:

Damn I need to play more.

Yea, they started the counter with the achievement pack, so if you played pyro previous, there was no carry over. I guess if you get the backburner and get lots of crits, or get a medic to kritzcrieg you constantly, you might get there a little faster.

Then there is farming :shifty:

A Heavy Update: The Killing Gloves of Boxing

The unlockable for the Heaviest pugilists out there is the K.G.B. Any time a Heavy kills an enemy with the K.G.B he receives five seconds of guaranteed critical hits. This crit-boost can be used to punch and kill further enemies, extending the boost time. Alternatively, the Heavy can switch to another weapon and use the boost to take out an enemy at range. The Heavy's slow movement speed, and the K.G.B's slower swing speed, make it a risky prospect.

Heavy Achievements:

Iron Kurtain: Coming soon.

Spyalectical Materialism: Coming soon.

Party Loyalty: Coming soon.

Permanent Revolution: Coming soon.

Division of Labor: Coming soon.

Heavy Industry: Coming soon.

Red Oktoberfest: Coming soon.

Communist Mani-Fisto: Coming soon.

Show Trial: Coming soon.

Redistribution of Health: Coming soon.

Crime and Punishment: Coming soon.

Rationing: Coming soon.

Class Struggle: Coming soon.

Vanguard Party: Coming soon.

Soviet Block : Coming soon.

Pushkin the Kart: Coming soon.

Stalin the Kart: Coming soon.

Marxman: Coming soon.

Supreme Soviet: Coming soon.

Gorky Parked: Coming soon.

Factory Worker: Coming soon.

Purge: Coming soon.

Soviet Union: Coming soon.

Lenin A Hand: Coming soon.

0wn the Means of Production: Coming soon.

Five Second Plan: Coming soon.

Krazy Ivan: Coming soon.

Photostroika: Coming soon.

Rasputin: Coming soon.

Konspicuous Konsumption: Coming soon.

Rasputin: Coming soon.

Konspicuous Konsumption: Coming soon.

Icing on the Cake: Coming soon.

Don't Touch Sandvich: Coming soon.

Crock Block: Coming soon.

Borscht Belt: Coming soon.

Kollectivization: Coming soon.