[Official] Call of Duty: World at War

23uvuwl.png

Call of Duty: World at War

Developer(s) Treyarch, n-Space (Nintendo DS), Rebellion (PlayStation 2).

Publisher: Activision

Platform: Windows, PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PlayStation 2

Release Date: North America November 11, 2008. Europe November 14, 2008.

Call of Duty: World at War executive producer Daniel Suarez already knows what's on our minds, and he's come armed. "The first question I get asked, is why go back to World War II?" Well, quite. I ask myself a similar question sometimes, since I'm the one who always ends up reviewing WWII shooters. Treyarch's answer is probably the same: old habits die hard.

"We didn't want to go back and make the same old World War II game. [Treyarch] has done it before. [World at War] is their fourth Call of Duty game. They've been developing Call of Duty games for longer than World War II was actually fought." That's either depressing or heroic. Either way, some sort of medal is due. Presumably not of honour. Or, indeed, honor.

"So they didn't want to go back and make another game that you've all played before. They felt very much like you guys do. It's long in the tooth. It's stale." I could take umbrage! "So that was the big challenge: how do they redefine what everyone expects from a World War II game?" War game design 101? Make it gory. Following Modern Warfare's lead into Mature-rated territory, Treyarch is pitching World at War as a "more brutal and more intense Call of Duty than you've seen before". It's not a Soldier of Fortune gib-fest, but "employs a lot of different things from violence to subject matter presented in a way that hasn't been done to date".

The other thing to freshen things up, of course, is to pull the old Medal of Honor trick and turn the attention towards the Pacific theatre - except do it properly, obviously. Still mentally scarred by the horrors perpetrated by the horrendously bad Rising Sun, Suarez and company have a lot to do to make us forget. Undaunted, he reckons "it's a great location" with "a whole new sort of dynamic" involving dense jungle warfare in both night and day conditions.

To illustrate the point, the assembled press are walked through a co-op demonstration of an early mission called ...

Read the rest over at Eurogamer.net

Requirements:

GS: So far, Call of Duty: World at War appears to be a graphically intense game. What system requirements will PC gamers need to jump into the fray?

CS: My team worked closely with hardware vendors such as Intel and Nvidia to optimize for various hardware configurations available on PC. This was especially important as we are really pushing the limits of the engine. So we were able to achieve this graphical intensity with only a modest bump in the minimum requirements from COD4:

Processor: AMD 64 3200+/Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz or better

Memory: 8 GB free hard-drive space, 512MB RAM (XP)/1GB RAM (Vista)

Graphics: Shader 3.0 or better, 256MB Nvidia GeForce 6600GT/ATI Radeon 1600XT or better

Read the rest of the Gamespot Q&A

Weapons:

US Weapons:

* Thompson M1A1

* M1A1 Carbine

* M1 Garand

* Trench Shotgun

* Browning Automatic Rifle (B.A.R)

* Springfield M1903

* Springfield M1903: Scoped

* M2 flamethrower

* M1911 (aka Colt 45)

* Bajonet

* M9 Bazooka

* M1919A6 Browning

* M2 machinegun

Explosives:

* MK2 Frag Grenade

* Smoke Grenade

* Satchel Charges

* Mines

Russian Weapons:

* TT-33

* Mosin Nagant

* Mosin Nagant Scoped

* PPSH (71 round Drum Magazine)

* PPSH (31 round Banana Magazine)

* Bajonet

Explosives:

* RGD-33

German Weapons:

* P08 Luger

* Kar98

* Kar98 scoped

* MP44

* MP40

* MG42

* MG34

* Messer

Explosives:

* handle-grenade (aka potato masher)

Japanese Weapons:

* Nambu 14

* Arisaka Typ 99

* Typ 100 Submachine gun

* Bajonet

* Katana

Explosives:

* Kiska grenade

British Weapons:

* Sten

Source

Perks:

Perk 1:

- Special Grenades x3

- Satchel Charge x2

- M9A1 Bazooka x2

- Bomb Squad

- Bouncing Betty x2 (similar to claymores)

- Bandolier

- Primary Grenades x2

- M2 Flamethrower

Perk 2:

- Stopping Power

- Fireworks (explosives cause more damage)

- Flak Jacket (decreases damage taken by explosives)

- Gas Mask

- Juggernaut

- Camouflage

- Sleight of Hand

- Shades (decreases intensity of signal flares)

- Double Tap

- Overkill

Perk 3:

- Deep Impact

- Extreme Conditioning

- Steady Aim

- Toss Back (resets fuse on tossing back enemy grenade)

- Second Chance (ability to revive allies)

- Martyrdom

- Fireproof

- Dead Silence

- Iron Lungs

- Reconnaissance (shows artillery and tanks on map)

Vehicle Perk:

- Water Cooler

- Greased Bearings

- Ordnance Training

- Leadfoot

- Coaxial Machine Gun

Source

Achievements:

348g4e0.png

xkye0y.png

w2hjyt.png

14ncpde.png

Source

Links:

Official Site

Wikipedia Page

___________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by Sethos

I just watched the new videos that IGN has of the Multiplayer, and they honestly have me thinking I may only rent Gears 2 and buy this game. I am not even kidding. I am sure I will actually buy both, but I am contemplating perhaps not doing so now.

Seriously, this game really has made a huge jump on my radar thanks to those videos. It looks exactly like COD4, except with tanks and dogs... really cannot go wrong with those additions. :p

Wow, that is really almost identical to COD 4. I knew they were using the same engine as COD 4 but jeez those multiplayer videos are basically COD 4 with a WWII look. It's great they are building off success but exactly the same with different perks???

I really don't know what to think about this one.

I sincerely hope the single player campaign in this one is longer than CoD 4. That was just too short.

I dunno if I'm gonna get this. I finished COD 4 in June I was blow away by it. It was short but the quality was unmatched. I really do not know about this one tho...WWII again? Meh!

Any video links?

I stumbled across them last night at IGN, try there. I am on a different comp then I was last night or I would just grab them for your real quick.

Any video links?

IGN is where I was referenced to by Larry, hence my earlier comment about the similarities. I might be interested in trying a beta, but I'll probably end up playing Gears over this.

a lot of maybe's in this thread so far...because it's from Treyarch? getting it for sure, and looking forward to some quality TDM matches. agreed it's another WWII number, but maybe the last great one? it should be at the very least as good as COD3, which was OK.

My Maybe, is because there is a ton of other games, especially for me Fable 2, Fallout 3 and LittleBigPlanet, all of which will consume my life. So my maybe is due to lots of games and time available.

a lot of maybe's in this thread so far...because it's from Treyarch? getting it for sure, and looking forward to some quality TDM matches. agreed it's another WWII number, but maybe the last great one? it should be at the very least as good as COD3, which was OK.

I'm sure the maybe's are because it's not IW, and because CoD3 was crap compared to 4. Personally, i think every developer has at least one good game in them. The vids did look good, I'm still a maybe but I'm starting to come around.

EG are giving out their beta keys today, hence the site slowing down the past hour or so and the 500 errors. However, seems like they are giving them out via PM to regular users of the site. So no mass of new accounts this time stealing codes!

Edit: scrap that, seems people are just BS'ing on EG forums.

Although I'm betting they will be released later today sometime. They have removed the story from front page which said they were coming soon. Game have already sent out their codes to preorders and people are playing online already.

Would keep an eye out if you want a code as the site is already crashing with 500 errors and over 4000 people online.

Edited by DrunknMunky

Limited offer while stocks last. The codes will be emailed every Friday afternoon until the release of COD: World at War. Customers will need to preorder before 1pm Thursday afternoon to receive a code the next day, otherwise the code will be sent out the following Friday. Please make sure your registered email address is valid. Requires access to Xbox Live. Customers who have already preordered this game will also receive the bonus offer. The code will provide exclusive access to www.firsttofight.callofduty.com, customers can then register for the Beta and in-game content via links on this page. Beta codes & in-game content codes will be dispatched from Activison directly. Beta Codes will be sent on a later date when the Beta becomes available, in-game content codes may not be sent until release.

So game send out the codes to the other CoD website then activision distribute the beta..

... Lame.

Yeah tell me about it, oh well. I have Monday and Tuesday off College and probably wouldn't be able to play online this weekend so I'm not phased by the ''delay''.

I just hope I get an email today off Game as their website said ''every Friday we'll send emails etc.''.

Well I'm off uni on Monday so hopefully they do it then, or there is a big chance I'll miss it on Tuesday onwards until Friday.

So wait...does this mean that you're interested in it now?

I though you made mention awhile back that you really werent into it. :huh:

So wait...does this mean that you're interested in it now?

I though you made mention awhile back that you really werent into it. :huh:

The beta will be the deal breaker for me I think. My excitment level is pretty low for it though.