[Official] Call of Duty: World at War

Right finally managed to link my account in callofduty.com so I now have VIP status. if you are having issues goto

http://www.callofduty.com/points

and link the account :D

Yeah, I saw that on the site, but unfortunately, I forgot my password from the old site, and I can't find a link to retrieve it.

BTW, is anyone here willing to trade a beta code for a code to AstroPop on the Xbox Live Arcade? I've got a code for AP, but I already bought it ages ago, so I've got no use for it. :D

Another BTW, a thousand apologies to the mods if this is illegal! Feel free to delete this if it is.

Never mind. I've got a code now!!! :D Someone on the CoD forums kindly accepted my trade! :)

(Sorry, I can't edit my previous post)

Well I can't claim my VIP status because the damn website registration is broken. Tried at least 5 times earlier this morning and then asked Sethos if he could. Same problem. Will try again later maybe.

I've played around 10-15 matches now and I've reached rank 11 (the highest you can get in the beta at the moment). My opinion of the game so far:

Pros

- The artillery reward (for a 5 kill streak) is much better than the airstrike in COD4. It takes longer to fire, but the barrage lasts longer and the explosive effects are much better looking.

- The dogs (for a 7 kill streak) are probably a little overpowered seeing as you must already be owning the enemy team to get them, but they're a lot better than the helicopter from COD4 as they don't get you as soon as you spawn in front of it, you can hear and see them coming more easily (they can't shoot you across the map), and you actually get experience points for killing them.

- The rifles and sniper rifles require more skill to use than they did in COD4. The SMGs and machine guns are pretty much the same though.

- The guns are a lot more solid in this game. In COD4 you felt like you were carrying bits of plastic firing extremely high power bean bags across the map. In WaW, the sounds, recoil and reloading animations all make them feel more like a gun.

- You get different XP rewards for assists depending on how much damage you did. Rather than only ever get 2 points from an assist kill like you do in COD4, you can get 2/4/6/8 points, depending on how close you brought the enemy to death when someone else fired the fatal shot.

- Grenade spamming doesn't get cheap kills so often.

- The various different types of grenades all have good and bad situations that they can be used in, bringing more of an element of skill in using them.

Cons

- The weapons are imbalanced. The MP40, BAR and Springfield rule the battlefield.

- It's too much like COD4 for my liking: same HUD, same perks and challenges (there are some new ones, but pretty much all the old ones have been copied and pasted over as well), same scoring, same lobby (with a few improvements though it has to be said), and the same bugs and glitches. I was hoping for a different experience.

- We have Martyrdom to look forward to.

So, overall, very impressed, but I can't see myself buying it since I have Gears of War 2 and Left 4 Dead to look forward to.

Man I would love to play the beta for this. But, I don't think I have enough free space on my 360's hdd anymore even if I somehow got a token to play it :(

It's only 900mb, couldn't you delete a demo or something.

Have you played it? If so, what do you think about it so far?

Want to catch up later for some MP?

It's only 900mb, couldn't you delete a demo or something.

I don't have any demos. It's all XBLA games and DLC content for my games :|

Besides, I'm not gonna get a code so it doesn't really matter much :p

Have you played it? If so, what do you think about it so far?

Want to catch up later for some MP?

I tried it for a few minutes so not fair say anything yet, was a bit annoying with the dogs chewing my leg in spawn while artillery was raining on my head.

Only thing I found really disappointed so far is the exclusion of any hardcore modes in the Beta, I loathe regular game-modes with the ability to resist entire clips, radar visible and even a HUD *shudder*

God... not sure if I can wait till next friday (GAME sends out their codes every friday).

I tried it for a few minutes so not fair say anything yet, was a bit annoying with the dogs chewing my leg in spawn while artillery was raining on my head.

Only thing I found really disappointed so far is the exclusion of any hardcore modes in the Beta, I loathe regular game-modes with the ability to resist entire clips, radar visible and even a HUD *shudder*

Pick your aim up? :laugh:

But seriously, hardcore mode does benefit a lot of scrubs... you can spray in someone's direction and they die. No killcam also benefits campers. The XL tournament rules (perks disabled, team killing enabled, LAN only kits) are a true measure of skill... otherwise M16 red dot/P90 silencer (or COD5's future equivalents) are unbeatable.

yeah, bet I could own your ass. :p

O rly?

I was going to XL (big european LAN tourney) until work took priority... got a match against Dignitas 360 Doubles coming up this week in the Q. finals of a tourney (going to get owned though :p)... etc. etc.

You could say that I'm a complete nerd... :p

:laugh:

Edited by Apoptosis

Only one way to settle this arguement, duel it out while the rest of us watch :p

I'd be more than happy to give you an XL rules doubles scrim? ManiX vs. Sethos + ?

It's just that 1v1s are for random bad kids :p

Back on topic: does anyone know what proportion of the COD5 maps are in the beta?

Only one way to settle this arguement, duel it out while the rest of us watch :p

-collects popcorn and pepsi-

LET'S GO!

But seriously, how's everyone finding WaW?

I'm not being urged to play it at all :/

I'd be more than happy to give you an XL rules doubles scrim? ManiX vs. Sethos + ?

It's just that 1v1s are for random bad kids :p

Back on topic: does anyone know what proportion of the COD5 maps are in the beta?

If I even had the beta I'd give it a go :p

I need to brush up on my COD4 skills, been a while since I played properly. Takes a while to adjust back, especially all the months I've just done playing Battlefield lol.

-collects popcorn and pepsi-

LET'S GO!

But seriously, how's everyone finding WaW?

I'm not being urged to play it at all :/

So is it good? You seem to be the one who's been playing it the longest maybe you could give us a review :p ?

@DM: I meant in COD4... don't have strats for the COD5 maps yet :laugh:

So is it good? You seem to be the one who's been playing it the longest maybe you could give us a review :p ?

@DM: I meant in COD4... don't have strats for the COD5 maps yet :laugh:

I'm not in the mood to review right now, tired as hell.

Maybe tomorrow, but that's when EG hand out their codes, so yeah.

I'm not in the mood to review right now, tired as hell.

Maybe tomorrow, but that's when EG hand out their codes, so yeah.

D'you reckon if I sign up for EG tonight I might get in? Is it random or loyalty based? *Desperation*

D'you reckon if I sign up for EG tonight I might get in? Is it random or loyalty based? *Desperation*

Not normally loyalty based, just register now and when it's online tomorrow just claim a code.

So I finally hit Rank 11 after what, an hours play time?

There is nothing wrong with the game itself, everything is working just fine and the entire game is a proven recipe which is also the problem. Feels more like an expansion pack and nothing else, I just don't have that "Oh I want to play another round" or "Wow, I love this game!" moments because I feel as though I tried everything before. I will probably get the game because I loved Call of Duty 4 but I still played that game way too much for this game to feel "new". I also still have my doubts regarding to the single-player campaign because a) it's treyarch developing it, they seem to make some extremely boring and generic single-player experiences b) it's the pacific side of World War 2. I love WW2 but the pacific war is really boring in my opinion :p

But the co-op is really a huge plus for me no matter how bad the single-player campaign is ( Like Halo 3 ) always turns out to be loads of fun but multiplayer will only last a solid month or two.

Then a thing I absolutely hated about Call of Duty 4 was, there is no footsteps when you aren't sprinting ... why?! So annoying when a soldier can sneak up behind you even though he is running with like 20-30 pounds of equipment, really ****es me off. Sorry just had to get this in, it's still annoying me big time :laugh: Hate having to constantly check my surroundings with a controller, tires out the thumbs extremely quick.

Oh and another small thing which might just be me but there is something iffy about the rifles. At 50ft or 2ft the bullet travel time is the same. So annoying when you have a guy RIGHT in front of you and you still have to compensate for travel time, what the hell?!

Edited by Sethos

So I finally hit Rank 11 after what, an hours play time?

There is nothing wrong with the game itself, everything is working just fine and the entire game is a proven recipe which is also the problem. Feels more like an expansion pack and nothing else, I just don't have that "Oh I want to play another round" or "Wow, I love this game!" moments because I feel as though I tried everything before. I will probably get the game because I loved Call of Duty 4 but I still played that game way too much for this game to feel "new". I also still have my doubts regarding to the single-player campaign because a) it's treyarch developing it, they seem to make some extremely boring and generic single-player experiences b) it's the pacific side of World War 2. I love WW2 but the pacific war is really boring in my opinion :p

But the co-op is really a huge plus for me no matter how bad the single-player campaign is ( Like Halo 3 ) always turns out to be loads of fun but multiplayer will only last a solid month or two.

Then a thing I absolutely hated about Call of Duty 4 was, there is no footsteps when you aren't sprinting ... why?! So annoying when a soldier can sneak up behind you even though he is running with like 20-30 pounds of equipment, really ****es me off. Sorry just had to get this in, it's still annoying me off big time :laugh: Hate having to constantly check my surroundings with a controller, tires out the thumbs extremely quick.

Oh and another small thing which might just be me but there is something iffy about the rifles. At 50ft or 2ft the bullet travel time is the same. So annoying when you have a guy RIGHT in front of you and you still have to compensate for travel time, what the hell?!

I can guarantee that there are noises. Though you might need headphones to hear them :p I've got Tritton ax360s and I can hear someone crouch walking with dead silence on 30 yards away :p

I agree about the single player... I'm convinced it will be another COD3 :( The multiplayer may be a lot like COD4, but at least they didn't butcher the IW recipe (as someone else put it) :)

Completely off topic, but which version (PS3 or 360) are you getting, Sethos?