Welcome to Neowin 5

damn finally some usability :p

the V4 Was so undynamic, this is Java to its limits, a serious Atta boy here.

edit:

the ad positioning is crap here, its way too ivnasive omg, it makes it difficult to read

Haven't read all the posts, but this was a surprise :)

I don't think I'll be liking it though, it's so small and tiny and everything is cramped up. It's half the size of the previous version, why did you do this? It's almost unreadable and you have to click on Read on fr every article. Not to mention that the Google Ad in the middle of an article is ugly.

Yeah Those are two complaints I have. 4 lines of text coupled with the extremly narrow width of the page mean you have to navigate away to read anything. 75% of articles before hand I could read most of the article and those I couldn't I could read enough to know whether I wanted to navigate away.

The ad in the middle is out of place IMHO.

I also posted these in the front page comments

Well looks nice, some things but

-It looks a bit congested. I'm on a 24" display and it's really not making use of the screen realestate.

-Secondly I think it'd look neater if the text was justified or something on the front page. The left alignment along with the already conjested layout is making it a bit hard for me to focus on anything in particullar.

-As above, I'd like a counter of how many comments have been made on the front page rather than having to open the post up. I often like to follow discussions and check that figure before clicking as I often remember about how many posts had been made on my last visit. Adding a "XX Comments" on a line after the text may actually help ease the conjestion by adding some vertical spacing between articles, especially if that "XX comments" is right aligned.

It's good but and I'll get used to it with time

edit:

-I wouldnt mind a way to pernamently filter certain categories on the main page rather than using "main" and going through one by one. I'd like to see most but maybe hide say software or gaming news for instance.

Don't take that as a complaint just a few suggestions I have. It's on the right track but with a few small tweaks it could be made alot better IMHO. My biggest issue is the use of screen realestate on my 24" at 1900x1200.

edit: I'm really confused about the aim of the "around the web" area. I know what the 1st post says but it seems sort of inconsistent and articles that should be in one or the other are listed in the wrong spot. I'm not sure if having that 2nd column is really serving any practical use to be honest, I think having it in the same block like articles from other sites used to be would work fine? It might buy you some screen real estate too.

Edited by Smigit

Also another addition: It looks like for the time being, there's no real difference between the main column of a section and "Around the Web." Around the Web seems to hold news headlines older than the main column. For instance, it was mentioned member-submitted news (not member written news) would go in Around the Web, but I see my latest submitted news article in the main column.

I love the new layout, it's beautiful. It will take some time to get used it to it, nonetheless.

Don't expect the forum skin to change for quite some time. Neowin.net's main page was upgraded to the shift skin in about October 2005, and the forum's skin wasn't upgraded to shift until July 1, 2007. Hopefully this time, it will take less time.

Seeing as the layout is completely different, and the skin chooser has gone, Neowin seems to have ended the ability to use the shift or swift skins.

I was wrong about the main page skin being launched in 2005 - it was launched in April 2006 instead. I just remember there was a lot of expectation around October 2005 for shift to come along. Which is one reason I'm surprised that there was no expectation for this redesign.

Haven't read all the posts, but this was a surprise :)

I don't think I'll be liking it though, it's so small and tiny and everything is cramped up. It's half the size of the previous version, why did you do this? It's almost unreadable and you have to click on Read on fr every article. Not to mention that the Google Ad in the middle of an article is ugly. Top menu is beautiful, but it's way too small for my likings. Been here since 2004 and I'm a little disappointed as regards to the size.

As I already wrote in the news section, good job anyways, I appreciate as it's something I don't have a clue about... I'm not a web designer so this was just my 2c.

;)

Yeah, I feel the same way. I hope the main page will be wider. After looking at it more, I'm not as impressed as I was. I hope it can be wider. I'd like to know why the new front page isn't widescreen friendly like it used to be. There's way too much wasted space. Although I might change my mind on this later, considering I didn't think this way when I first saw the page earlier, I think that the color scheme is a little dark. I prefer the current shift color scheme.

Another observation: There are no emoticons. :huh:

In Opera I don't see anything. In Chrome I see broken image boxes.

Not liking it, not one bit, don't get me wrong it looks awesome, love the colouring it's very swish but is there a way to change back to v4 Shift?

Some issues i have are:

1. The advertisement in the centre of the screen is far too intrusive.

2. I don't particularly like having to click 'Read on' with every article compared to reading the news with Shift.

3. Don't quite get the whole 'Around the web' section at all :/

4. Using my LCD TV (1360x768) as my monitor i have a lot of wasted space.

Hmmmmm :(

The new skin looks amazing. Congratulations for breathing new life into Neowin! Hope the forums get similar treatment soon.

One word from me - WOW!!

Love it. :) Thanks to all the staff and coders for giving the site a (not really needed but is always good to have) lick of paint!!

Ad

Hey it looks pretty cool.

One BIG issue though, there is a LOT of wasted space to the left and right, it doesnt fill my widescreen like the old style did - I can see this bugging me.

Well it was a surprise ... but I am disappointed by the narrow formatting with wasted space right and left. Come on I am sure in 2008, we can make a website more intelligent than that.

Plus now the link to the "Gamers" section is under the Main button... only one click away but one too much. You kept blogs, live, irc... in main bar !!!! Let's say I disagree with the priorities chosen :(

Love it.. :heart:

But why is Apple first?

2i9qixg.jpg

I am suprised no fanboys have jumped in and said why in gaming is the 360 controller on the header image instead of a PS3? :p

Yes, but Neowin is called for Windows (New Win - Neo Win) so it should be Windows. I have both, so don't call me a Mac hater or something.

I just hope the width is fixed :/

I am suprised no fanboys have jumped in and said why in gaming is the 360 controller on the header image instead of a PS3? :p

Because they have no case, everything is as it should be :laugh: