NeowinCAST Gamers Edition

In case you haven't already heard, we have just made available the first episode of the resurrected Neowin gamer centric podcast.

Whilst it has been in the pipeline for sometime now, throughout the past week both myself and Larry have been busy planning, recording, producing and refining the recording all for your benefit. Whilst we appreciate that it's not perfect, we are more than willing to work on that. But we need your help.

Although the podcast is still in it's early stages, we want to cater for your every gaming need. So tell us, what do you want to hear about? Who do you want to hear it from? And more importantly, how can we build upon the show we have just released? We want your suggestions, criticisms (as long they're constructive) and comments so we can help build upon the already vast gaming community here at Neowin.

We have plenty of ideas, but none of them will be possible without your support. The show is only bound to become bigger in time, and we will be looking to introduce an additional host in the near future.

Please enjoy the first episode, then share your thoughts and opinions here.

NeowinCAST Gamers Edition (12/03/2009)

NeowinCAST Gamers Edition (05/04/2009)

Subscribe: RSS | iTunes | Zune

Edited by ynnoj

Sorry, we're experiencing technical difficulties :p

I'll fix the link in a moment. Keep your eyes on the front page.

Please say you guys are getting it up on itunes as well, lol.

Whaaaa 2+ hours?

Trying to dethrone my beloved 1UPYours (or ListenUP as its called now) Neowin?

I can't listen to any other gaming podcast apart from it, although I'm looking forward to these as it's board locals (Y)

Whaaaa 2+ hours?

Trying to dethrone my beloved 1UPYours (or ListenUP as its called now) Neowin?

I can't listen to any other gaming podcast apart from it, although I'm looking forward to these as it's board locals (Y)

Try 90 minutes :laugh:

Try 90 minutes :laugh:

Damn InternetDownloadManager read it as 2 hours 23 minutes :laugh:

Still, 90 minutes is quite a long podcast, at least from what little I actually listen to in podcasts

naahhh.

I like my podcasts to go on for hours. :D

*downloading*

Still, 90 minutes is quite a long podcast, at least from what little I actually listen to in podcasts

90 minutes is actually quite short compared to the majority of my subscribed gaming shows. You'd be surprised.

I was actually under the same impression, and I wanted to cut out a whole lot, but truth is not only did we work hard on recording all of that so I was inclined to leave it in, but apparently a lot of gaming podcasts are actually right around 90.

Both of you have good podcast voices, I've listened to some terrible sounding podcasts before :p The clash of American/English is awesome :laugh: I love it on ListenUP when John Davidson is speaking, then it swings back to Garnett or someone else.

By the way guys Killzone 2 uses Sixaxis for sniping as well. It acts as a way to make small precise movements in your aim when you're already zoomed. You probably haven't tried it unless you've been sniping in SP, or unlocked the Scout class in MP. Or picked up a Sniper Rifle off a dead Scout. Another crucial use of sixaxis :p But to be fair it's a more meaningful than valves and bombs.

What I would say for the future is it would be good if at least one of you has completed or experienced large portions of SP & MP of a game before making it a main feature. Going to talk about KZ2 SP and then saying you've not played it or you're hardly into it means you can't really flesh out talk about it - I know KZ2 isn't much of story based game, but I'm sure there's some cool set pieces or other things you could've spoke about later in the game. I guess that could be remedied by choosing guests to come on the show that you know have completed a certain title you're going to talk about, or just sidelining a game for a bit until someone has completed it.

Loved the PSN chat (as in the indie development). I truly also believe that's one thing Sony managed to do correctly without any step backs or screw ups.

Also it would be cool if you just bumped the "What have you been playing?" section from ListenUP and other gaming podcasts. Just telling us what you've played the past "x" amount of days from the last podcast, and some brief thoughts on those games. Doesn't have to be new games, just anything you've played. This section acts as an awesome intro to a gaming podcast, it's an ice breaker and is a laid back way to express random gaming thoughts.

Finally a Neowin board community section would be cool - You could ask a question for the board to comment on, then for the next podcast add replies from board members you find worthy of talking about to the podcast. It's kind of a way to getting a lot of board members on as a "guests" for the episode without actually being wired up.

LOL Oblivion horse armour getting a shout out :laugh: And Larry I believe GTA4 did get a fair few GOTY mentions, even if it was just from individual gaming journalists on podcasts. It just became "uncool" to give GTA4 your GOTY due to how popular it is... Also Larry shame you couldn't get into RE 1-3, really good games :( You should try the RE1 remake on the Gamecube/Wii.

That's all I have to add, good start, well done guys (Y) (I did skip the iPhone games section but :p)

ps. ynnjoy "There's a distinct lack of puddle...puzzles in RE5" :p Hit the nail on the head though with your thoughts on RE5, I share them. And as for podcast frequency, I don't think weekly is a good idea, you ain't gaming journalists [not an offensive comment, I just mean you obviously can't get insider information and don't work with games on a daily basis]. At least once a month, maybe 2 or 3 a month during spells of lots of games? Suppose it just depends on your available time for committments and plans, if you guys can do a weekly, by all means go ahead!

I was actually under the same impression, and I wanted to cut out a whole lot, but truth is not only did we work hard on recording all of that so I was inclined to leave it in, but apparently a lot of gaming podcasts are actually right around 90.

Nah don't cut it, 90 minutes is perfect for you guys.

I love my long podcasts hence my excitement at thinking it was 2 hours 20 minutes LOL.

Edited by Audioboxer

Just got done listening ( And killing a few French armies in Empire :laugh: ) - I really loved it. At first I was a bit sceptical over Jonathan's 'podcast' voice, the accent did bother me at first but slowly grew on me, no offence there Jonathan :). Overall it was a great podcast, I already enjoy listening to your opinions as you aren't afraid to mention problems without having to wrap them up in cotton but manage to stay unbiased.

One suggestions though, you mentioned you 'weren't going to mention any names' when you were on the topic of something mentioned around GH, I really think you should. Of course not to put a member down, put him/her in a negative light but let's say X-member voiced his opinion on a certain news article / game, you should say their name and then give your input on their opinion, in case you found that opinion to be standing out or worth a mention. The reason why I want this is to perhaps integrate the Gamer's Hangout and its members into the podcast. That would be my main suggestion to make the podcast more personal and unique, also more interesting - Perhaps even encourage members to put an extra effort into posts to get mentioned on the podcasts :laugh: ?

As for the "How frequently do you want it" question, I'd very much like to see it once a week. Perhaps that's a bit too frequent but you could tighten up the allowed discussion time for each subject and wrap that show up in under an hour, because in the 90 minutes area it definitely gets a bit drawn out, too much unnecessary 'filler' talk and repeating of what has already been said.

Just some props to Larry, I love your voice, it really has that 'radio' voice and you really get my attention every time you speak, plus I hugely respect your opinions (Y)

All in all though a great podcast and you definitely have me hooked, can't wait to hear the next episode.

Edited by Sethos

<snipped>

Thanks for the feedback AB. Honestly I think absolutely everything you said is spot on, I really do.

I will just say this... while I definitely agree with the point in the future, if a game is featured, it will out a doubt be played through a bit more if not to the end :laugh: you made the point yourself that we indeed are not full time paid journalists, so since that is the case, we featured of it what we knew, and it was chosen as the featured game as it is the "big game" out right now and the game we both were currently excited about and playing.

So Ironically, although we did not mean or seek to do it intentionally, the fact we have not finished KZ2 can actually be considered as part of overall comment on the game itself.

Again though everything else is spot on and great advice.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to it to you and to everyone so far. :yes:

<snipped>

Just saw this after I responded, and first let me say thanks very much. It truly is appreciated.

And again great feedback, it truly is.

And actually a great idea about the saying members names in the way you suggest, cause if I did say that which I think I might have, I am not even sure, honestly I have no problem at all calling people by name... :laugh: Especially when it is in a good manner as you suggested, and I really think it will bring a more community vibe to it all which is without a doubt the overall goal here.

So again, definitely much valued and repsected suggestions...

Wow. I was not sure if we were going to past the Sethos test... :p

Seriously thanks man, much appreciated.

One suggestions though, you mentioned you 'weren't going to mention any names' when you were on the topic of something mentioned around GH, I really think you should. Of course not to put a member down, put him/her in a negative light but let's say X-member voiced his opinion on a certain news article / game, you should say their name and then give your input on their opinion, in case you found that opinion to be standing out or worth a mention. The reason why I want this is to perhaps integrate the Gamer's Hangout and its members into the podcast. That would be my main suggestion to make the podcast more personal and unique, also more interesting - Perhaps even encourage members to put an extra effort into posts to get mentioned on the podcasts :laugh: ?

I was thinking this too. It really makes the members of the GH part of the podcast more.

One criticism, I think some facts/figures need to be checked before you use them. For example the iPhone/PSP sales in this first porcast. You guys were wayyy off, and I've spoke to Jonny already and I understand his position, but still you know :p

I completely disagree with you guys on the PSN / XBLA comparison. MS have been pioneering the indie development from day one with XNA. Their tools are fantastic and in some university courses free, (like mine :p ). Again, I spoke to Jonny about that and it is all opinion at the end of the day, but you need to follow up on what you talk about more before you tell the "masses" false info like I said. I know spouting a lot of numbers etc is boring and nobody really wants to hear that, but just glance at release lists and you'll see XBLA is pushing more weekly/monthly/yearly. Not to mention the PSN has its very fair share of ports & remakes to boot.

I liked the intro tune used, but not the robot voice thing, that made me cringe lol.

Overall, I enjoyed it, 90 mins should definitely be the max, anything more unless it's a really big topic like a game convention takes place is really pushing it. Especially to try listen to it in one sitting. Sometimes with Major Nelson's podcast it's gone on so long I had to pause and I just never bother going back to finishing it for example.

Good job (Y)

Edited by DrunknMunky

I think they were highligthing the riskier titles like Flower/Linger in Shadows/Flow/PixelJunk Eden/Noby Noby Boy. I haven't seen many things as whacky as that on XBLA Munky.

So yes, it's not as much "indie development" as a whole, more so a category of indie development dedicated to the greenlighting of projects that could easily be completely ignored by gamers due to their strange take upon the concept of a "game".

I actually think the topic of discussing indie games development and reeling the PC into things also would make a very good podcast section. Bring in things like World of Goo, Crayon Physics and what not. Also paid indie games, and the abundance of free titles you can get out there. Also discuss the price point of these games, what's too much, what's a good price? For example I think Crayon Physics launched at $20, something I certainly felt was too high at the time. Braid for the PC was also $20 pre-order I think, then after some complaints it got brought down to $15.