IE9 UI

So what is everyone expecting?

As far as I've heard it's going to be like chrome, but I guess it will look more like previous IE versions so it probably has a better OS integration than other browsers.

I got bored so I made a little concept, it's a very rough cut from IE8 parts that I've repositioned together with parts from a windows explorer window, but I'm thinking the IE9 UI could look a little like this:

ie9.jpg

So how do you think it will look? Something like this, or entirely different?

Doubt it will look like that, in MS' recent software they've gone for a much softer and lighter look, based around animation and speed. Just looking at the new IE icon I can tell the software will look much different, I hope at least laugh.gif

Less buttons (Might even copy Firefox and Opera's App Menu.

Tabs on Top (The other browsers are getting this by default (Apart from Safari)

More OS integrated.

Remove the Search bar, and get something like an Omnibar like Firefox is getting and Chrome has. I dislike search bars now, is much easier to search directly from the address bar. It annoys me when I go to search in the address bar and get a page not found error in browsers like IE and Firefox. So used to Chrome's Omnibar.

That's what I think it needs.

(Ignoring the mockups as they just illustrate my following soapbox comments).

Would prefer a UI from Microsoft's IE design team that didn't show "how not to display UI elements under Aero".

There is no synergy between the UI and the window decorations. There is little authorised customisation for both aesthetical or accessibility purposes.

They really could take a lesson in Windows HCI design from any of their browser competitors for their own home platform.

Less buttons (Might even copy Firefox and Opera's App Menu.

Copy? MS made the APP button with MS Office 2007, the reason FX and Opera are using the app button is to fit in with the OS better and be simpler.

Copy? MS made the APP button with MS Office 2007, the reason FX and Opera are using the app button is to fit in with the OS better and be simpler.

Yeah, original concept with that, then refined with Wordpad and Paint.

The app button in the Firefox and Trillian betas doesn't really look like the App button in Office 2007 (read: not a shiny orb) nor the Home button in Office 2010, so I don't know where people got that idea. It looks like the button used in Paint and Wordpad, but those aren't trying to be part of the titlebar. If anything, it's following the UI convention of a unified menu, which is not a new concept in itself.

The app button in the Firefox and Trillian betas doesn't really look like the App button in Office 2007 (read: not a shiny orb) nor the Home button in Office 2010, so I don't know where people got that idea. It looks like the button used in Paint and Wordpad, but those aren't trying to be part of the titlebar. If anything, it's following the UI convention of a unified menu, which is not a new concept in itself.

So its not an orb? It still does the same thing.

So its not an orb? It still does the same thing.

That's what I'm saying. The app button is ridiculously inconsistent between all its implementations that they can't really be said to copy each other. Really, it's more of the UI concept of a unified menu, which is not original in itself.

I'm hoping MS moves towards the Firefox titlebar app button personally, but they certainly weren't copied from by Firefox and they didn't copy it from anyone else.

It will look pretty much like this:

2z99wzo.png

If it doesn't, I'll put this in my sig for a year to mock myself for being wrong.

This, every IE revision has relatively been the same, except a few tweaks. The biggest UI change occurred when tabs were introduced. I'm not expecting a drastic change.

It should just be as customisable as FF and then we can make it look how we like

Themes, addons, plugins, etc

That's far off. You think it does not even have basic theme support yet... It will be like that by IE10/IE11 when Firefox and the other browsers ahead are even more customisable.

I think they need to remove a lot of the clutter. Why is the refresh button in the address bar, I like a nice big refresh button next to the back and forward and a home button next to the address bar.

post-312200-12818213508767.png

I think they need to remove a lot of the clutter. Why is the refresh button in the address bar, I like a nice big refresh button next to the back and forward and a home button next to the address bar.

post-312200-12818213508767.png

Full glass programs look good on light backgrounds, but throw menu/option text on it with a dark background, and it'll be difficult to read.

Here is my second and final mockup:

post-312200-1281823243886.png

As for the all glass hard to read text comment, that's why IE9 should be really easy to customize, I prefer no glass to be honest but I was just doing a quick mockup of the layout.