IE9 UI

my concept roughly thrown together lol

ie-9-concept.png

maximise the viewing space by having the scroll bars only show when in use/when hover over.

ie logo is the a menu button.

think it would be good to have live id sign in too, WLM/messenger and maybe zune

Plus bring in the zune heart instead of the fav star i like it better.

my concept roughly thrown together lol

ie-9-concept.png

maximise the viewing space by having the scroll bars only show when in use/when hover over.

ie logo is the a menu button.

think it would be good to have live id sign in too, WLM/messenger and maybe zune

Plus bring in the zune heart instead of the fav star i like it better.

if the top was flat black instead of that gradient, it would look much better and fit the MetroUI more imo :)

[...] but not a full Metro UI for the application like that Bend thingy. That doesn't work at all.

How so? It works very well for a media player, Twitter/Facebook client and text editor; I'm sure it would work very well in a browser.

[...]

@Zedox - I'm sure I think that is freely available now, I was looking for a new text-editor and found it. I have it installed.

Do you mind letting me know where you got it from please? :happy: I can't find it anywhere :(

@+giannisgx89 That's really nice! Minimal changes, yet it gives the browser a fresh new look without breaking consistency with Aero. I like it. (Y) (Y)

First off I think it looks pretty, but I'll never understand why so many concepts, even those for Firefox 4, have this tiny grip area at the top. With one or two tabs, this isn't a big deal since there's a thick, easy to reach glass area to click on, but once the tab bar is full, there's only a sliver of space for the mouse to click. That's makes it more difficult than it has to be to move the window around, and moving the window is what can be expected if the user intentionally left the window restored, instead of maximized. When the window's maximized, the tabs can be pushed to the edge for all I care, it would be easier to select tabs like that anyway.

Tabs to the edge would make Aero snap useless since the user wouldn't be able to drag a maximized window down anymore, but that that's a different matter. Tiny grip areas for restored windows always seemed like either a usability oversight, or just form over function. Either way, Chrome seems to pull it off properly, though I'd still prefer the space it leaves expanded to match the rest of the titlebars in Windows.

You mean to have extra space at the top like Chrome has?

Is there by chance still a copy of Microsoft Bend available for download somewhere ? I'd like to give it a look :)

Here is my IE 9 Mockup Concept :)

Of course it can be improved a lot!

You can also download the PSD file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6rjkoa8k24uqpac

That's VERY nice! The design and approach you went with is great.

I also love how you took the best of all the browsers available (I noticed the App button from Opera/Firefox) and the popup statusbar from Chrome.

Here is my IE 9 Mockup Concept :)

Of course it can be improved a lot!

You can also download the PSD file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6rjkoa8k24uqpac

Looks good indeed. If it will look like this I'll proudly answer "yes!" when asked if I click on the blue e to access the internet.

EDIT: But I sure hope they don't omitt the http. And where's the home button? That' my link to Hotmail.

That's VERY nice! The design and approach you went with is great.

I also love how you took the best of all the browsers available (I noticed the App button from Opera/Firefox) and the popup statusbar from Chrome.

Thank you very much :)

I'm sure you could turn it into a real theme for firefox! :p

Personally I'm hoping for a more Chromium-ish minimalism though thats doubtful.

Lose the title bar, make the address bar 'search' and remove the redundant (yes, you too Live toolbar) input boxes, move tools to same line as address bar.

As much as I love Zune, I don't think that 'metro' look is best served for a browser.

I have tried to combine Office, Metro (simplicity) and the regular Aero style of Windows...the result (maybe someone likes it):

internetexplorer9.png

I love it! :wub: :)

URL? I'm not so sure how interchangeable the two are. The Zune software is very different both in form and function from the WP7 interface (obviously a computer is not a phone). I'd like to see the actual guidelines for the Windows Metro design as used by Zune that he seemed to claim exists.

I was talking about the native world. Most software (including all of Windows and most other Microsoft software) is native code, and can't (and probably don't want to) use Silverlight or WPF.

I don't have URLs - I have the PDFs embedded in my OneNote 2010 notebook, but the titles I referenced are the specific document's relevant titles. Do a bing search for them and you should find them (if you can't, and do care, PM me, and I can provide you with them). As for software/microsoft software not wanting to use WPF/native code - you've confused yourself slightly. Silverlight is a web RIA technology, although it can be leveraged for desktop applications very well. As for WPF, it's just a presentation framework, not a programming language, and it's part of .net. You can use it with C#.net, VB.net, VC.net, as well as mixed managed/unmanaged. It's just a DirectX based UI framework.

Visual Studio 2010 and the entire Expression suite are all written in WPF, by Microsoft. It's pretty potent stuff.

As for software/microsoft software not wanting to use WPF/native code - you've confused yourself slightly.

I am not confused. Yes, you can rewrite in a managed language and interop with your native code (yeah, there's lots of desire out there to do that...), but what I said was that it was not available to native code. There is no native equivalent, and it's questionable that Microsoft would actually push a design that their platform can't support

As to why Microsoft still doesn't use it for Windows, it's the same as last time. It is too much work, breaks compatibility on a massive scale, and increases the resource use to an unacceptable level.

Visual Studio 2010 and the entire Expression suite are all written in WPF, by Microsoft. It's pretty potent stuff.

No one said you can't write software with WPF, just that most is not managed. VS is a good example of how difficult it is though. Rewriting much of VS was a massive undertaking, and they didn't manage to finish it on time. Personally the only thing I gained from the "upgrade" was lose the ability to drag and drop customize, increase the resource use tenfold over previous versions, and random crashes now and then (although I don't know if VAX has some of the blame for that.) Okay, and some minor improvements to the compiler. Still waiting for any notable improvements to the IDE. Maybe it'll gain syntax highlighting and autocompletion in 2012. Here's hoping.

Updated version of mine:

capture.png

Note that the buttons on the side in the toolbar are in hover state.

Oh, and the frame around it is of a mockup that I call "Aero-Rev" which I made for a possible visual style.

Updated version of mine:

capture.png

Note that the buttons on the side in the toolbar are in hover state.

Oh, and the frame around it is of a mockup that I call "Aero-Rev" which I made for a possible visual style.

:) Looks nice. Is that gradient a background tab?

Bend is freaking awesome. Using it and looking at it is different ;). It's just a text editor. I would still change some things that they use but it's still awesome.

Any tips on where I might find a copy? Google has been no help and it looks interesting, so I've been wanting to give it a try