IE9 UI

This is my final mockup:

capture.png

The one on the right has been sent in to the competition :) And yes, I did notice the color inconsistencies in the tab and typo in the titlebar on the left mockup :p

This is my final mockup:

capture.png

The one on the right has been sent in to the competition :) And yes, I did notice the color inconsistencies in the tab and typo in the titlebar on the left mockup :p

Stop making IE mockups! :p Get on the Win7 mockups start a thread in the customization forums!

Stop making IE mockups! :p Get on the Win7 mockups start a thread in the customization forums!

Better yet, start making some Windows 8 Mockups :p

^He want's the skin to be a usable skin for Windows 7 :p

That's also the intention of my Aero-Rev mockup. It'll be a skin based off of the current Aero.

Haha, I've never used a mockup thread with my previous skins and might not do it this time around either :p

A slightly more polished version of my IE9 metro/zune mockup...

What's up with those enormous thick bars everywhere? It makes my 24-inch screen feel like a 15-inch one. Not to mention laptop / netbook owners.

What's up with those enormous thick bars everywhere? It makes my 24-inch screen feel like a 15-inch one. Not to mention laptop / netbook owners.

I made my top control bars match those of Google Chrome. :)

post-26458-12822096230714.png

@martinDTanderson: make that fullscreen on a tablet and I'm sold. looks simple, elegant, intuitive and fun to use. not sure it would integrate well with aero but like I told you, on a mid-size screen touch environment, two thumbs up!

@martinDTanderson: make that fullscreen on a tablet and I'm sold. looks simple, elegant, intuitive and fun to use. not sure it would integrate well with aero but like I told you, on a mid-size screen touch environment, two thumbs up!

I agree, it looks very nice and touch friendly, the only thing I'd change is the bottom bar: it's too thick.

I have tried to admit some of the requested changes (like easier favorite access), just for fun and because i like to make mockups :p

btw. i do not like metro UI applications on Windows, just does not fit with the rest of the user interface and gives you inconsistency...but i like the IE9 Metro mock ups ;)

IE9_by_bluefisch200.png

win, that favorites placement is perfect

Here's my quick mockup:

capture.png

Note that the Backwards and Forwards buttons in reality should look like the OS's defaults. I took these from an Aero mockup made by me as I didn't want to remake them :p Same counts for the favorite icon.

Beautiful.

I have tried to admit some of the requested changes (like easier favorite access), just for fun and because i like to make mockups tongue.gif

btw. i do not like metro UI applications on Windows, just does not fit with the rest of the user interface and gives you inconsistency...but i like the IE9 Metro mock ups wink.gif

This is by far the most accurate representation of what I think the UI should look like. If Microsoft want more consistencies with their software this is the way to go. (Y)

Aero is the past, Metro is the future!

On Windows Phone 7 maybe, only elements of it work in Desktop apps. If Microsoft take this UI throughout Windows I'm moving to Mac because I can't stand it.

On a mobile device the full thing works well, on the desktop not so much, elements can be included like in Wave 4 and such but not a fully designed Metro application... no.gif

On Windows Phone 7 maybe, only elements of it work in Desktop apps. If Microsoft take this UI throughout Windows I'm moving to Mac because I can't stand it.

On a mobile device the full thing works well, on the desktop not so much, elements can be included like in Wave 4 and such but not a fully designed Metro application... no.gif

Have you never used the Zune Software?

Microsoft software which use some of the Metro UI concepts

SmallStartMenuNowPlaying.png

Windows Media Center

live-messenger-beta.jpg

Windows Live Messenger - Social View

zune-software-4-011.jpg

Zune Software 4

microsoft-zune-hd-pmp.jpg

Zune HD Mobile Interface

metro_01.jpg

Windows Phone - Metro UI

Other Software using the Metro UI Concept

white-sample-app.jpg

Silverlight Metro App Template

MetroTwit.jpg

MetroTwit

Have you tried the Zune software? It's fully metro, but obviously a bit different to the Windows Phone 7 Metro style (i.e. Zune has some gradients and allows for background patterns).

What you don't get, Metro is not a theme or a style. It can be used together with Aero...

Clean, Light, Open, Fast

• Feels Fast and Responsive
  • Focus on Primary Tasks
  • Do a Lot with Very Little
  • Fierce Reduction of Unnecessary Elements
  • Delightful Use of Whitespace
  • Full Bleed Canvas

Celebrate Typography

• Type is Beautiful, Not Just Legible
  • Clear, Straightforward Information Design
  • Uncompromising Sensitivity to Weight, Balance and Scale

Alive in Motion

• Feels Responsive and Alive
  • Creates a System
  • Gives Context to Improve Usability
  • Transition Between UI is as Important as the Design of the UI
  • Adds Dimension and Depth

Content, Not Chrome

• Delight through Content Instead of Decoration
  • Reduce Visuals that are Not Content
  • Contents is the UI
  • Direct interaction with the Content

Authentically Digital

• Design for the Form Factor
  • Don?t Try to be What It?s NOT
  • Be Direct

@martinDTanderson: Most apps from MS are still inside an Aero frame. I'm sure that MS will not use Metro on IE9. Metro would be yet another UI style among the current style. They'd rather go towards the Office style if you ask me for more consistency throughout Windows.

Have you never used the Zune Software?

Microsoft software which use some of the Metro UI concepts

I said ELEMENTS are fine, but not a full UI, not like the phone version anyway. I also said the phone was fine. So next time, read my post before you post a ton of images to try to prove a point.

Zune looks OK, but still doesn't meet the Aero UX that Microsoft have set themselves. If Microsoft wants consistency, yes maybe add some Metro elements such as in WLM Wave 4, but follow the Office style, as this will fit in well with both Wave 4 and Office itself.

I said ELEMENTS are fine, but not a full UI, not like the phone version anyway. I also said the phone was fine. So next time, read my post before you post a ton of images to try to prove a point. This says something to me. Don't you agree?

Zune looks OK, but still doesn't meet the Aero UX that Microsoft have set themselves. If Microsoft wants consistency, yes maybe add some Metro elements such as in WLM Wave 4, but follow the Office style, as this will fit in well with both Wave 4 and Office itself.

I posted those images to illustrate to all in the thread, not you specifically, those Metro UI concepts and elements which those various Microsoft Software examples all have in common.

Now you say you don't it's likely we will see IE9 outside of the Aero Frame, and obviously you can have metro within the frame, even if Zune and Windows Phone choose to be full bleed, and remove all the chrome. What these and IE9 now share in common is that they will be Hardware Accelerated. I personally would like to see IE9 set itself apart from Opera, Firefox, Chrome, by not making use of Aero Glass, and going for a full bleed style, with patterned background for personalisation, being touch friendly, and using minimal UI control styles like Windows Phone and the Zune Software.

I mocked up, something similar to what I would like IE9 to be, not necessarily what I think it will be!

You believe it will go for more of an Office / Windows 7 style ribbon idea. Not the ribbon outright, but the same styling. That is not what I would want, and I think the IE team have already considered that and decided against it with IE8.

I am not sure why you have felt personally aggrieved at my posts, I did not mean any disrespect or insult to you personally or anyone.

I have some expectations of Aero being dropped completely with Windows 8, and so as Metro is the current philosophy at Microsoft, I can imagine that Aero will be replaced with Metro in some form or other. As it works on small or large touch screens, works with other inputs like Remote Controls, and works nicely on the desktop.

That and as the competition moves to using the glass frame of Aero, I am sure Microsoft would want to try to differentiate IE9 in some form, and what else do they have apart from more Aero Glass?... Metro!

Personally I would say the Zune Software, and MetroTwit, are full Metro designed apps, and the Portable Device versions are stripped down Metro Concepts to suit the form factor, but Metro is more than just the Windows Phone UI, it is a philosophy which is implemented in existing apps. Windows Media Center is Metro for the Large Screen, Zune is Metro for the Desktop or Web App, and Windows Phone/Zune HD is Metro for the small screen.

I posted those images to illustrate to all in the thread, not you specifically, those Metro UI concepts and elements which those various Microsoft Software examples all have in common.

Now you say you don't it's likely we will see IE9 outside of the Aero Frame, and obviously you can have metro within the frame, even if Zune and Windows Phone choose to be full bleed, and remove all the chrome. What these and IE9 now share in common is that they will be Hardware Accelerated. I personally would like to see IE9 set itself apart from Opera, Firefox, Chrome, by not making use of Aero Glass, and going for a full bleed style, with patterned background for personalisation, being touch friendly, and using minimal UI control styles like Windows Phone and the Zune Software.

I mocked up, something similar to what I would like IE9 to be, not necessarily what I think it will be!

You believe it will go for more of an Office / Windows 7 style ribbon idea. Not the ribbon outright, but the same styling. That is not what I would want, and I think the IE team have already considered that and decided against it with IE8.

I am not sure why you have felt personally aggrieved at my posts, I did not mean any disrespect or insult to you personally or anyone.

I have some expectations of Aero being dropped completely with Windows 8, and so as Metro is the current philosophy at Microsoft, I can imagine that Aero will be replaced with Metro in some form or other. As it works on small or large touch screens, works with other inputs like Remote Controls, and works nicely on the desktop.

That and as the competition moves to using the glass frame of Aero, I am sure Microsoft would want to try to differentiate IE9 in some form, and what else do they have apart from more Aero Glass?... Metro!

Personally I would say the Zune Software, and MetroTwit, are full Metro designed apps, and the Portable Device versions are stripped down Metro Concepts to suit the form factor, but Metro is more than just the Windows Phone UI, it is a philosophy which is implemented in existing apps. Windows Media Center is Metro for the Large Screen, Zune is Metro for the Desktop or Web App, and Windows Phone/Zune HD is Metro for the small screen.

I for one doubt that Microsoft will ditch Aero anytime soon, Windows 8 or not. Windows 7 finally made Aero accepted relatively widespread and Windows 7 has a very good reputation, we've seen what a media fiasco Vista was because it seemed people couldn't handle a larger change from XP. If we now go Metro-ish towards Windows 8 people might not accept it again and it will end up the same as Vista.

Plus it seems like the engine behind Aero was never used to it's true potential yet but that's just me^^