Mac OS X Lion Discussion

Not a Mac user - what's the point of the Launchpad, if Dock already lists all your apps?

The Dock doesn't show all your installed apps. It only shows apps that you either want displayed or currently have running.

These "new features" seem really week, OS X has basically become iOS, nothing amazing here rolleyes.gif

I'm willing to bet there will be more technical changes as well.

During the keynote it looked like they were still there but stripes instead of round lights.

I just looked at the Keynote demo of Lion. They're gone all together.

Here's a screenshot of Pages running. No dot or line down in the dock under it. Same with the App Store. It's running, but there's no indication of that.

post-17580-12876052648723.png

These "new features" seem really week, OS X has basically become iOS, nothing amazing here rolleyes.gif

And this is a bad thing? iOS had plenty to offer to OS X. Apple's bringing those innovations back over without bringing any of the "downsides" (like no sideloading of apps).

Here's a screenshot of Pages running. No dot or line down in the dock under it.

Don't read to much into it - the UI is probably far from the final one.

who gives a **** about that now, that is what snow leopard was for

Fix Finder? What's wrong with it?

it's terrible at networking, times out, doesn't remember passwords for SMB shares (maybe that's key chains fault) tabs would be great (liek total finder, which i love btw). I hate how hard it is to find out the exact path of where you are at, just does some dumb gui version with all the icons and crap. Windows Explorer IMO kills the finder. And why the fack can't I cut and paste yet?

eff launchpad, just fix the finder...

+1111111

yes agreed finder is just horrible shiftyninja.gif

Just like with Snow Leopard which included an improved disk eject feature laugh.gif

Fix Finder? What's wrong with it?

No dynamic rearrangement of window contents

When extracting from any file, the extracted file lays over another file, no snapping to grid

I could go on, but Finder just feels so bad

Here's a screenshot of Pages running. No dot or line down in the dock under it. Same with the App Store. It's running, but there's no indication of that.

And this is a bad thing? iOS had plenty to offer to OS X. Apple's bringing those innovations back over without bringing any of the "downsides" (like no sideloading of apps).

Like what ? iOS is an OS for mobile phones, if I wanted to get iOS, id buy an iPhone, OS X is a desktop OS. So much for the Lion being the king of the cats, seeing what Apple is bringing to the table with this release

Like what ? iOS is an OS for mobile phones, if I wanted to get iOS, id buy an iPhone, OS X is a desktop OS. So much for the Lion being the king of the cats, seeing what Apple is bringing to the table with this release

OSX is their ****** child now and so far they are clearly showing it because all their are doing is taking iOS and throwing it into OSX

OSX is their ****** child now and so far they are clearly showing it because all their are doing is taking iOS and throwing it into OSX

Which is funny cause they claimed iOS is based on OS X, and now they are bringing it back wacko.gif

hence the whole theme of the keynote "back to mac"

Ehh, now that this cat is out of the bag (pun intended lol) I'm looking forward to PDC, hopefully Microsoft will show off some Windows 8 goodness

Ehh, now that this cat is out of the bag (pun intended lol) I'm looking forward to PDC, hopefully Microsoft will show off some Windows 8 goodness

if this is all OSX has to offer is shoving crap from iOS to OSX I hope Windows 8 beats down Lion like the ***** that it is

I lived without app store before I can still live without. By the way what are Apple going to do now they've named it Lion? What comes after?

the bears (os 11)

if this is all OSX has to offer is shoving crap from iOS to OSX I hope Windows 8 beats down Lion like the ***** that it is

Hey idea for Microsoft advertisement, Windows 8 can **** over a lion rofl.gif

I lived without app store before I can still live without. By the way what are Apple going to do now they've named it Lion? What comes after?

No more OS X, this is the beginning iOS from now on alien.gif

Like state-saving applications (I love the implication that a closed app is really no different than an open app other than it's not actively doing things), a new full-screen, no distractions paradigm when you want it, and the App Store. The Launchpad is nice as well. I don't see myself getting a lot of use out of it, but for people who don't really grasp the whole "Well, your application is installed, it's just in that Applications folder thing over there" (and trust me, there are a lot of those), this is a godsend.

Just because something is made for a mobile OS doesn't mean some of its features can't be adopted to a desktop OS.

Mac OS XI Goldfish :)

Like state-saving applications (I love the implication that a closed app is really no different than an open app other than it's not actively doing things), a new full-screen, no distractions paradigm when you want it, and the App Store. The Launchpad is nice as well. I don't see myself getting a lot of use out of it, but for people who don't really grasp the whole "Well, your application is installed, it's just in that Applications folder thing over there" (and trust me, there are a lot of those), this is a godsend.

Just because something is made for a mobile OS doesn't mean some of its features can't be adopted to a desktop OS.

Usually a desktop OS is where all the power is, while those features might be nice for a phone, they are child's play for an actual computer, there is nothing amazing in this Lion

Just like with Snow Leopard which

Was that the only thing?

When extracting from any file, the extracted file lays over another file, no snapping to grid

That's by design, that way you immediately see what file or folder is extracted. I think it's pretty clever actually.

Hey idea for Microsoft advertisement, Windows 8 can **** over a lion rofl.gif

No more OS X, this is the beginning iOS from now on alien.gif

that was suppose to say ****, so windows should be like "windows 8 is better then that **** any day of the week"

Edited by John S.
the swear filter is there for a reason