Mac OS X Lion Discussion

It doesn't matter what OS you install because Time Machine just keeps a backup of your personal data, not OS files.

It doesn't matter what OS you install because Time Machine just keeps a backup of your personal data, not OS files.

That's incorrect. Beyond that much of your personal data is stored inside ~/Library. There's no guarantee that migrating certain things like Mail, iCal etc. are backwards compatible with older application versions. For example an iTunes and iPhoto library that has been updated by a newer version can't be opened anymore by an older one.

To be absolutely safe I would make a manual backup of your entire Home folder as well and leave that one untouched by Mac OS X Lion just be on the safe side.

Has anyone had any issues with using samba shares mounted from a Windows 7 machine?

I can mount the shares OK, but trying to copy a file across it's not moving, or going seriously slow. And this is over gigabit ethernet which was blazing fast on Leopard (as if the share was connected via USB). It's a bit of a pain as this is how I transfer files onto my media server

Has anyone had any issues with using samba shares mounted from a Windows 7 machine?

I can mount the shares OK, but trying to copy a file across it's not moving, or going seriously slow. And this is over gigabit ethernet which was blazing fast on Leopard (as if the share was connected via USB). It's a bit of a pain as this is how I transfer files onto my media server

Honestly, try it over WiFi. Worked wonders for me.

Honestly, try it over WiFi. Worked wonders for me.

In desperation I did try it over Wifi as well (as they obviously share the same wifi network as well), and it did the same thing.

I connected to the machine with remote desktop over ethernet and it works fine, as it used to in Leopard so it does seem to be the SMB protocol rather than the connection.